General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #1  

Thumbs up What is the best diet plan out right now?

I am new to 3FC and I am looking to lose about 30 lbs. I know through the holidays it can be tough but I also know it is easy to gain 10lbs as well and I don't want that to happen. I am looking to join a program to help me lose weight I just would like some insight on ones that are good and not so good. I want something that is convenient for me and something I dont have to think much about, like adding points up I am not a fan of because I am very busy and a single mother. Thanks for all the help in advance!
Palmtree05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/217/165

Height: 5.7

i know alot of people do calorie counting
proudmommy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #3  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

it really just depends on the person. you'll need to plan ahead, but other than that, it's up to you. the best plan, is the one you are comfortable with, and can stick with.

try reading up on the different ones in the forum, see what you think will work best.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 345/ticker/150

Height: 5'10

I do Metabolic Research Center; it's pricey, but effective. And easy.
sweetsmmr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:44 PM   #5  

Weight Watchers Points Plus Plan is working great for many people. I love it.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:06 PM   #6  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

Height: 5' 7"

imo, weight watchers and calorie counting, but it really does depend on the individual
pipernoswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:12 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 208/143/150

Height: 5'6"

Since you said you don't want to count points, I'm guessing that you wouldn't want to count calories or carbs either. The 2 diets that come to mind are Sugar Busters & South Beach. I think they just tell you what to eat & what not to eat, and the rest is mostly portion control. There are threads for them on this site, so you can explore there & also read the books. Many people have great success with those diets.
joyful retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I think the best plan is the one you will stick to.

I'm a planner and so Herbal Magic has been a fantastic (if quite expensive) plan for me.

I also think the best plan is a complete lifestyle change (using baby steps). Consider things like switching to lower fat options, eat 8 servings of fruit/veggies every day. Choose only lean meats. Switch to whole grain products. Reduce sugar intake. Increase your water intake. Be mindful of what an actual portion is as opposed to what our skewed idea of what one is. All these will help you to lose weight.

Tamara
tamaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:01 PM   #9  

The Belly Fat Cure (BFC) is very easy to do once you understand it. It does have limited sugar (15 grams) and carbs (120 grams) per day with 5 grams of sugar and 40 carbs being the max for any meal, (though you may not get all 120 carbs because of the way carbs are rounded).
deetermined2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:59 PM   #10  
Medifasting since 5/13/10

S/C/G: 235/???/135

Height: 5'4"

I have been on MediFast since mid-May and I love it. 5 prepackaged meals a day (soups, oatmeals, bars, shakes, pretzels, brownies, puffs, soft serve, hot coca, cappuccino) and one "lean and green" which is a lean protein, either 5, 6 or 7 ounces, and 3 servings of low carb veggies. I really love the convenience of it...I eat mostly portable items because I'm in grad school, so I just grab 5 things each morning and don't have to worry about being away from home and still staying on plan.

I will say that it is fairly restrictive and it can be tough to fight to urge not to have off plan foods. But for me it was much easier than I thought to stay on plan because my cravings went down almost immediately and it's easy to stay motivated when the weight consistently comes off (although I have had more than a few short stalls...but I'm pretty impatient and like nearly instant gratification).

Because of the cost and its restrictiveness, I don't think its worth the money if its not a plan that you can follow 100%
BarristerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:06 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diet Solution User View Post
I know that title sounds weird, but it is totally true!! Go back to natural foods that have not been chemically altered or genetically engineered. Eat things that your body can properly digest--grain fed beef, organic chicken, fruits and vegetables and natural forms of fats (coconut, organic butter, olive oil) and sugar (honey, agave, stevia). Cut out the grains!!!
I thought that grass fed and finished beef is supposed to be the superior alternative to grain fed beef?

Actually, eating that like our ancestors doesn't guarantee weight loss either... I ate that way for a good long while, lost initially, but then maintained or gained. You still gotta have a calorie deficit, no matter how healthy the food you eat is! Eating healthy isn't a bad thing, but it's sure no guarantee of weight loss. Trust me, I can eat too much of most any healthy food I like. Don't turn me loose around grilled shrimp or salmon! Or most veggies or fruits. Back when I was in college, I ate a couple pounds of very fresh cherries one afternoon on a field trip.

Further, I find that I lose better when I am eating some grains and starchy carbohydrates. I don't eat them all the time, or every day, but they sure help keep me full. If I do low carb, I start being hungry and craving fats like nobody's business and well, there goes the calorie deficit, because I eat too many fats.

I don't believe there is a one size fits all plan, everybody has to find what works for them. Give me carbs and I am MOVING. Feed me fats and I am feeling tired, lethargic and hungry and cranky all the time.

I prefer moderation, I don't cut anything out, but I keep carbs moderate for the most part, and likewise for fats. But a couple days a week of higher carb really helps me out and keeps me sane and my body recovering well from exercise. Dropping the grains didn't work well for me.

Last edited by graycyn; 12-10-2010 at 07:17 PM. Reason: added a comma
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:25 PM   #12  

Height: 5'9

Uh ^ why would u be craving fats on a low carb diet? Fat is allowed on low carb diets...meats,avocadoes,cheese,olive oil,olives....
cuteazz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:43 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 255.5/196/158

Height: 5'7"

I agree with determined the easiest plan I have ever followed is the Belly Fat Cure. It's real easy to follow and in a short time of reading labels to determine grams of sugar and grams of carbs you can figure it out. There is a web site meandjorge.com where Amanda does a good job of explaining. There are also quite a few items on utube. Good luck whatever you choose.
kittycarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:56 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteazz1 View Post
Uh ^ why would u be craving fats on a low carb diet? Fat is allowed on low carb diets...meats,avocadoes,cheese,olive oil,olives....
Yes, I know they are allowed and I ate them, the trouble was that the fats didn't fill me, so I still felt hungry all the time and ate more fats. More fats = more calories, and with little or no calorie deficit happening, weight loss slowed up or became non-existent.

If fats were filling for me, then I'm sure I'd have lost weight, but they just aren't, or aren't in the same way that a small bowl of steel cut oats w/raspberries or something like that is. For me, a more moderate approach to carbs works better, that's all I'm saying.
Everyone is different.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:17 PM   #15  

Intuitive eating is the only thing that ever worked for me....eating between hunger and fullness. I sure needed a lot less food than I ever thought. And allowing all foods made the temptations lose their appeal. Just lately, I've had some sad times in the family and can see how people use food for comfort. Never was aware of that before.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote