South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 12-03-2010, 09:04 AM   #1  

S/C/G: maintaining

Default P90X advice, anyone?

I'm thinking of asking for P90X for Christmas. Anyone have any experience with this you'd care to share?

One questions I have: do you have to buy something in addition to the DVDs? Seems to me that maybe there is some "equipment" needed.

Thanks, all!
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:12 AM   #2  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

there is quite a bit equipment used including a pull-up bar. can't remember the specifics.

i haven't done it myself, but have heard about it. the negative comment i hear is that it's repeatitive. doing the same 5 or so dvds for 6 weeks.

if you do decide to ask for it or buy it, they are much cheaper on ebay, so i hear.

you might also look into cathe friedrich workouts. almost every kind of workout available. i really like her.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:45 AM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I've done it- I liked it- we stopped during the holidays because we (my husband and I) both got sick at different times and then with so much going on we decided to restart in January. We did it for about 5 weeks.

You don't have to buy the pull up bar. I recommend a few different sized weights (we have 3,5,7,10s), we each have a resistance band, a yoga mat, and that's really it. We already had the weights and yoga mats though- you can use the resistance bands in place of the pull up bar. Get the resistance band that has the piece you can put in between the door and door frame. It works for us. I noticed major differences after a few weeks (slimmer arms, tighter abs).

I definitely recommend it- my husband and I are restarting in January (I'm restarting with or without him).

Also there are over 10 DVD's, (I think 12 or 13), so it's quite a bit of different ones, usually you only do 1 of each DVD per week, so it'll take a while IMO to get bored of it. If you hit the music option you don't have to hear the host say the SAME things over and over

Hey Karen I just realized it's you! lol. Hi

Last edited by beerab; 12-03-2010 at 09:46 AM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:56 AM   #4  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

Oy. A friend of mine gave those DVD's to me and I haven't even LOOKED at them because I'm afraid. I'm glad you started this thread Karen! I'm excited to hear more.
weezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:04 AM   #5  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

I'm not on SB, so I hope it's okay I'm here... I'm on week 9 of the lean version and I LOVE IT. I've lost about 15 lbs and 5 inches so far. I do not use a pull up bar, I only use my bands. I modify a lot of things, too. I don't do the Yoga DVD at all anymore, because I find it boring, so I do a cardio x that day.

We have a thread on the 20-somethings. There's 4 or 5 of us doing it together. It's really great, and we've all gotten good results!

Good luck!
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:40 PM   #6  
Mini-goal: 260

S/C/G: 325/ticker/154

Height: 5'6"

I'm doing this now. I'm on week 2, day 5 today.

I enjoy it - but have to modify it considerably.

To start you really only need the dvd's and a resistance band ($12 at Target). I've also bought 8# weight and a second resistance band, but neither would be required for using the dvd's to begin with.

I'll do a pull-up bar when I think I'm actually able to do a pull-up.
annieoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:18 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

I haven't tried it yet, but my Sergeant has the DVDs and said he would copy them for me if I want. So I think I'm going to check it out. Here goes nothing, LOL
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:08 AM   #8  

S/C/G: maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
Hey Karen I just realized it's you! lol. Hi
Hi Bee! You and Anna are a big part of my inspiration in considering this

Thanks for all the great advice everyone. I think I'd need to find a way to work it in around the other exercise I don't want to give up. I sooo cannot do a pull up - what a great goal for me.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:00 AM   #9  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Karen, I've done P90X three times in the past two years and I really love the workout! It will kick your butt, but it's fun. Tom and I did it together once and then I've done it myself the other two times. I was never bored at all. There are three different four-week cycles. For the first three weeks of the cycle, you do the same workouts each week (a different one each day with maybe one or two of the workouts repeated during the week). Then the fourth week is what they call a recovery week and you do less muscle building and more cardio and stretching. I think the last cycle is actually five weeks long, if I remember correctly, and is set up a little different than the first two cycles.

I found P90X to be much more effective for toning than any other workout I'd ever tried. I get a huge kick out of the guy who leads the workouts! Tom always laughs at me because I talk back to him.

P90X gets two thumbs up from me.
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote