Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-03-2010, 08:59 AM   #1  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Default Weird knee stuff...inclines?

I have some weird back of the knee twinges going on that scare me enough to make want to back off a bit. I wish I could pin point what did it?

Dead lifts?

Inclines on the treadmill? I've been working by increasing the incline 1% from 4% up to 10% every two minutes and then down again. Yesterday I ran on an incline up to 5% using a similar method.

Running?

All of the above?

I'm not a good one to back down. But injuries aren't good either. Right now I'm fine. I just worry about being put out of commission entirely if I'm not careful.

Any experience with this?
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:30 AM   #2  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Yup...happened to me just recently:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exer...d-runners.html

Ya...I think it was the inclines...I've since stopped doing inclines on the treadmill and haven't had anymore problems. It's weird cuz when I run outdoors (trail), the steep inclines don't bother me...hmmmm...strange
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:13 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/150/145

Height: 5'7"

I've had the deep knee pain, too. There are so many straight and criss-crossing ligaments in the knee. Deep ligaments that get inflammed. It will of course, heal and repair. You just over did it.
4xcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #4  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Joyful, wow, I don't have pain like you are describing, thankfully! I'm glad it seems you figured it out. Mine is weird and I'm pretty sure it's a ligament because I can almost feel the fibers attach from the knee cap around the right side of my leg and back to the back of the knee. I feel it twinge, like it wants to snap. It doesn't hurt as much as it scares me. I don't want it to snap! LOL! It does cause a bit of pain though.

It might be the incline. It's the only addition to my routine that's different. That's a real shame because I get a great workout with the incline. It's possible I'm overdoing it, but I'm finally getting results.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:05 AM   #5  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

El, you can get that kind of sensation from a knotted up/tight muscle, too. Try foam rolling if you know what's tight, or if you're not sure, take some plain rubbing alcohol and rub it into your legs all the way down, and hit the low back and any sore spots, before you lay down at night. It works like a linament and will help loosen up those tight muscles while you sleep. (it just works best if you're not clenching the muscles, so overnight is easy...for daytime relief I'd take a few tylenol to block the pain so I'm not clenching up, to give the alcohol a chance to do its thing).
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:21 PM   #6  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Yup...I was kinda thinking the same thing ^^

I looked it up online and there's a muscle that actually extends from the inner thigh and wraps around and under the knee cap. Hills can make this muscle tense up/tighten and thereby cause knee pain. It's pretty common to runners and is often brought on by running up hills. Since I removed hills from my regimen, I have not had any further problems with it...also I took 3 days off running too..

In any event, if you have pain, do something non-weight bearing for a couple days and give the knee a rest so that it can fully recoup
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #7  
Calorie Counter-Runner

S/C/G: 309/158/164

Height: 5'8

I think we all feel lots of watchful aches/twinges etc. You recognize it, you will back down from your inclines, stay flat and see if that helps, if it worsens take a complete rest from the running for a day, maybe even two if it's that bad.
There are so many different reasons you could be going through this, you might be weaker around the knee with those ligaments, you are stretching them and training them. I wouldn't be too concerend it HURTS! But for now it sounds like you describe a noticable ache/pull. I get those sorta of feelings on and off all over my legs/ankels and feet but they always go away.

:-)
twinmommaplusone is offline   Reply With Quote