Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-02-2010, 03:30 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 279/272/175

Height: 5'9"

Question working out & kids...

so i wonder if anyone has a solution for working out with a 3 year old in tow?

he doesn't go to a sitter or to school. (noone can watch him where we live)

my husband is working from 8am til after 8pm most nights.

i just wonder what kind if workouts should i do in my home?
I'm just starting out. should i just focus on diet for now?

i have some dumb bells but that's about it.

i hope to get a elipticalor stationary bike in january.

any tips would be helpful.
couponmom85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:53 AM   #2  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

There are a few solutions:
You could work out before 8 am or after 8 pm -- I've definitely done both.
You could do any number of videos in your home (something like Walk Away the Pounds might work best with a spectator/participator).
Pick up a second-hand jog stroller (make sure it fits him, but many will fit kids that age) and go for a brisk walk.
Remember that working out for 10 minutes, 3 times a day is just as good as working out for 30 minutes in a row, and it can be a lot easier to fit in 3 short workouts. In fact, there are videos of 10-minute workouts -- check amazon.com.

I joined a gym with really good child care (don't know if that's an option). It is across town and pretty pricey, but the child care center is so big/cool/fun (they have computers, a Wii, a gym, etc) that my kids are always excited to go. I have also logged many miles behind both a jogger and a double jogger (never went for the triple tho ), and done quite a bit of 30-Day Shred during nap time.
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #3  

thanks.
he acctually outgrew his jogging stroller.
(not overweight, just the size of a 5 year old! ) lol

i do have a bicycle steoller he fits in but it doesn't fit in my car.

i may try to find some videos though.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:10 PM   #4  
Joie de Vivre!!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

Do you have a library card? Most libraries have a pretty decent selection of workout DvDs. That way you can try a bunch of different ones out without having to spend a lot of money on them.

Last edited by TheBunneh; 12-02-2010 at 03:10 PM.
TheBunneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #5  
Calorie Counter-Runner

S/C/G: 309/158/164

Height: 5'8

I have a 5 year old and 2 year old twins! If you want this you will do it and get creative, Find what works for you!

I have exercise videos galore, Wii Fit and use a gym membership that has FREE child watch. Ymca is great resource and incredibly affordable! They even offer scholarships for those that need a little reduction in membership costs. Single is around 30 a month, very affordable! The cost difference in eating healhty with groceries will pay for the cost!
If not you can go for lots of walks, play kickball / baseball with him. Get him into walking/jogging along a trail with you! The exercise is great for little kids!
twinmommaplusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:53 AM   #6  

unfortunatly anything i have to purchase is out of reach atm.
but i use my library regularly.
its great. anyone care to recommend a good dvd workout?

im going to do whatever it takes.
even if that means pacing in my yard with my dog or playing tag with my son.
i may even go walk at the mall early in the day.

i know when it warms back up my husband wants to start riding bikes again.
he just has to fix a few things on my bike and we can go ride. (might talk him into a nice ride in the mountains some day soon)
Old 12-03-2010, 06:54 AM   #7  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

i don't have much time, have to get the kids up and on the bus, but i'll try to come back later to post more.

my first ideas are jumping rope for a few mins or as long as you can, several times a day. get your metabolism going, and you can do it with him. also, strength training is the most time efficient w/o ever. squats, lunges, push ups, tons of ideas that don't even need weights. check out about.com lots of ideas on there and pictures to demonstrate.

and remember, any extra moving counts. fast cleaning even counts lol.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:47 AM   #8  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Walking at the mall is a great idea, because if it's early and there's not too many shoppers, the little guy can round around quite a bit, too. My guy loves the mall because there's so much to see and when he yells it ECHOS! (another good reason to go early ).

Two mall-related hazards -- the hard floors and the tempting food. If your feet/knees start to hurt, you may need to walk somewhere softer or get new shoes. And the food -- just say no to mall treats. Some of the worst food out there.
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:57 AM   #9  
Joie de Vivre!!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by couponmom85 View Post
but i use my library regularly.
its great. anyone care to recommend a good dvd workout?
The 10 Minute Solution series is great because each dvd has four or five (can't remember which) separate ten minute segments. So you can do them all, or one, or two, etc depending on your time at the moment.
TheBunneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:01 AM   #10  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Because little kids are active such active little creatures I bet you have lots of options. Are there any indoor play parks where you are? Is the weather warm enough in the afternoons to go to an outdoor park? Are there any bounce house places to take him to play? Play along with him climbing and swinging and the like. Videos are a great, great idea. Mall walking is good but for me, expensive. Also, do you have a jump rope or a place to climb stairs?

I will tell you something else too. Many moons ago another poster here shared a clip about how many calories household chores burn. She had a couple of posters come along and tell her basically how wrong she was for counting household chores. I felt at the time she was actually spot ON! Scrubbing floors, vacuuming, gardening, getting up and moving burns a heck of a lot more than sitting at a computer and being a couch tater!

Oh, and that poster I mention above--yeah well she is looking GOYGEOUS!!! She is now in the 130's--down from 260 or soemthing I believe. Obviously the chick knew something! Kudos to Lori259!

Coupon mom: I also wanted to add this. Have you pinpointed what times of day you typically have had trouble overeating? Getting out of my house every time I could really helped me and still does.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 12-03-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:03 AM   #11  

Someone suggested the 10 minute workouts. That's the only way I get any exercise in right now. I have a 6 month old and an autistic 3 year old. My older one screams through my whole workout, and meltsdown when I change into my workout clothes, because they are "different" from what I usually wear. He's up by 5am and goes to sleep around 8p, at which time I go to sleep b/c he's up several times screaming at night. There's no way I can do anything longer than 10 minutes at a time if that. Putting him in a stroller is not an option, because he screams and thrashes around.
The 10 minute workouts (I try to do them twice a day) are a life saver here!
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:58 AM   #12  

thanks i will check out the 10 min dvds.

its quite cold right now but we do have a bounce house 5 miles away. i was considering going but it would have to be a once a week thing.
i really hope to get a gym membership for a year soon, there is a good gym with a child care center. i had one but dh had q car accident and we had no transportation for 2 mths or so. but now we might be able to budget it in after the first of the year.

i really have a goal.
i want to be able to walk to the local walgreens, 3 miles,
walk to the library, 4.5 miles,
walk to grocery store, under 5 miles.
that is a straight shot on the 2 lane hwy. (not counting the hill i live on)

then i would love to walk to dhs work (slight hill, downhill then big hill to get there)
its about 1-2 miles.

then maybe work up to biking it all.
since i can use the bike trailer as a stroller too.

i just have no clue on getting startedand
dealing with the cold weather (down in the 30's)

i have knee issues so i got to start small.
I'm just afraid i would make it to my destination then not be able to get home lol!
(I'm sure it will save me money too )
Old 12-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #13  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Put on some music and dance. You child might even join you
Anytime you're in the kitchen do some squats (you can hold onto the kitchen counter top) and then do some counter top push ups.
If you have any steps in your house or a small step stool -it's boring as heck- but step up and down for time.
Just get moving and work up a sweat. Best wishes
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote