Old 12-01-2010, 01:17 AM   #1  
Now Loading Healthy ME

S/C/G: 265/262/187

Height: 5'7"

Default I'm looking for super filling foods...

They don't necessarily have to be low calorie (but it would nice if they were) but:

What foods do you find are super filling? For breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks? I find that whether I eat healthy or not healthy, I am still feeling hungry a while later (well, not all the time, but more than I'd like to admit), and I really want to feel full. I know that feeling full is key to eating correctly.
Fit4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:36 AM   #2  

Height: 5'4''

My daily snack of 32 peanuts is what saves me from hunger at 5pm when I still have another 3 hours of class left till I go home after being at school since 8am. I have tried other sources of protein but nothing fills me up and gets me through like peanuts.
popspry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:50 AM   #3  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I find porridge in the morning lasts me a looong time. Nothing fancy, just plain porridge oats zapped with water in the microwave, and a tsp of sugar on the top.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:09 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

Beans. All kinds of beans. Soybeans, garbanzo beans, navy beans, black beans, white beans, kidney beans, pinto beans... beans are wonderful and they find themselves, in some form or another(for instance, soybeans in the form of tofu or fermented into tempeh, or chickpeas made into hummus or in the form of chickpea flour, and so on...), in many of the meals I eat. They're high in both fiber and protein and truly one of the best, most versatile, and filling things to eat.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:47 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 189/144/104

Height: 5'1"

tofu works for me...

also, i drink a lot of water when i feel hunger pangs... and this helps a lot!
brokengently is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:09 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

oatmeal with 1tsp butter, 1 tblspoon almond butter and a Tblspn half and half, and a drizzle of maple syrup. Takes me a long time to eat and sticks with me.

Almond butter on my toast.

My lunch yesterday was filling: 1 cup brown rice, 4 oz turkey, tablespoon of olive oil drizzled over the top.

Egg salad sandwich at dinner time.

Clementines as a snack.

Fage 2% total yogurt.

For me protein and some fat is filling.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:15 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Grilled portobello mushroom. Really grilled vegetables in general, but especially the large grilled mushrooms.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:02 AM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
I know that feeling full is key to eating correctly.
Well, ummm, not really. You're aiming to be satisfied, not *full*. There is a difference. You shouldn't be uncomfortable. It was definitely new to me as I was an all day grazer/eater and was always full.

Anyway, snacks are important. No matter how filling my meals are, I need snacks to tide me over till the next meal. Of course I'm talking about filling and healthy snacks - not junk. Soups, FF yogurt with Fiber one.. I partially freeze the yogurt so it lasts longer and tastes better too, egg white omlettes, cucumber salad, apples, berries, tomato/cuke/onion salad, cabbage salad, veggies - roasted, or raw served with Salsa.

I rely heavily on volume. That's what does it for me and gives me that *full* feeling that I think you may be talking about.

For me, it's a pile of roasted veggies or a HUGE veggie stir-fry. HUGE. Then there's a HUGE salad, eaten out of a big serving bowl with great mix ins - pomegranate seeds, sliced strawberries, baby spinach, hearts of palm. Soups are very satiating as well.

Right now my two favorite filling foods are a veggie stew that I make loaded with cabbage, onions, carrots, celery, zucchini, cauliflower and mushrooms cooked in tomatoes.

My other fav filling food right now - an oriental stir fry - shredded cabbage and carrots, onions, celery, mushrooms with a can of oriental vegetables - sprouts, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots - seasoned with some ginger and soy sauce.

Then there's enormous veggie egg white omlettes. Chicken and turkey breast either thrown in a salad or served with LOTS of roasted veggies and perhaps soup.

Not being hungry was one of my non-negotiables when I started this venture. That and eating delicious foods. I've definitely achieved that. You do so by eating foods that are highly nutritious and voluminous and avoiding the garbage, which is empty calories and will leave you clamoring for more of it and it's filling power is over in no time flat. Think veggies, veggies, veggies. Proteins and some fruit.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:14 AM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Just wanted to add another filling *food* - water, hot tea and 20 calorie hot chocolate. Really, really helps fill up my tummy and keep my hunger at bay.

But be certain you know where there's a bathroom available at all times.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:10 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 186/150/145

Height: 5'7"

Since the cooler weather started, I fixed myself a huge cauldron of "cabbage soup" cabbage, carrots, onions, celery and canned tomatoes highly spiced. When I come home from the gym, I am starving. So I microwave a big bowl out of the cauldron, add two slices of whole wheat bread and slurp away. Very filling. I'm also a big plain oatmeal fan. Really "sticks to the ribs" as my Granny used to say.
4xcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:42 AM   #11  
HealthNutMommy

S/C/G: 170/124/125

Height: 5'3

For breakfast, these are usually my options because of the high fiber. They keep me full for a very long time.

Fiber One Honey Clusters cereal with skim milk
Oatmeal with pumpkin puree
One egg, turkey bacon slice and double fiber bread.

Lunch:
Tuna on Double fiber bread.
Lentil soup is also very filling and it's low calorie.

Dinner:
A salad loaded with veggies and chicken breast. Very filling as well.

And the more water I drink, the more full I feel

Last edited by pammi2003; 12-01-2010 at 11:42 AM.
pammi2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #12  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Height: 5'3"

Apples
Anything 100% whole grain
oatmeal
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #13  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

It depends alot on your body type. Some of us stay full longer with protein, others need tons of fiber or some type of hybrid.

i second beans. lentils, black beans, beans in chilli, homemade veggie 'burgers', minestrone soup or your fav. soup with different beans, lentils, soy beans that you like, burritos, thrown in an omelete, with salsa and basil, chickpeas/garbanzo's made into hummus or cooked in a little bit of olive oil and cooked in a non-stick pan or roasted in the oven with garlic and seasonings.
also try black eye peas(or your fav) cooked in a little olive oil and garlic with red peppers. my kids aren't big fans of beans, but they will eat this and want seconds
yeah, pass the beans lol. load up on the water, you'll need extra to digest them.
if gas is a problem, try them in small amounts mixed into your reg. food or lentils, soy beans, tofu. my own theory is that these give less gas. the lentils have TONS of fiber, protein and lots of good stuff, but are shaped differently than other legumes. this also makes them easy to hide

if protein really keeps you going, salmon in particular keeps me satisfied longer than other types of fish. it could be canned salmon made into whatever you like too. or other types of oily fish. also try shrimp with the tail on. takes me longer to eat it and hardly any cals

and heck yes! pile on the veggies! roasted, steamed, grilled, raw, dipped in hummus, salsa, with roasted garlic....
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:43 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 250/135.8/13?

I watched something from the BBC where they showed how soup makes you feel full much longer, even when you eat not just the same number of calories, but the exact same food!

What they did was give one set of soldiers a chicken and rice meal with a glass of water, and the other set the same thing, but blended into a soup.
Then they did ultrasounds to see their stomaches before they ate, after they ate, and then several hours later. They found that the soup keeps the water in the stomach longer then if you just drink it, which keep the stomach at the 'full' volume much longer.

That must be why a nice thick soup feels so satisfying.

Also, I agree with rockinrobin, feeling 'full' might not be the best way to gauge what you eat, depending on how you define it. I was also trying to feel full before, but what I thought was full was really feeling stuffed. I've learned that feeling truly full means feeling nothing at all. Its like my abdomen is no different then the rest of my body, and I can't separate it based on hunger pains or that stuffed feeling.
flashfacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:19 PM   #15  

I was coming here to post this exact question!!! This is week 4 for me and frankly, I'm hungry most of the time. I had gotten over it, but after Thanksgiving it has been bad. I just had my lunch... 300 calories, 2 cups canned healthy choice soup, and fat free crackers. I am still hungry. I've been doing poorly on water drinking, I will increase that. And I need to incorporate some of these VOLUME ideas.

Thanks for all the ideas!!! I feel inspired to keep going.

Katy
Katy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote