Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-30-2010, 03:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/ticker/115

Height: 4'10"

Default adjusting calories

So now that I am 10 pounds from goal (possibly 15, if I decide to lower it just a bit) I decided that it was time to actually up my calories a bit. It seemed that just suddenly going from 1100 to 1200 per day up to 16 or 1700 for maintenance would be a bit of a shock to my system, so I decided that for these last pounds I am going to move up to 1400 calories per day. I have been doing this for a week, and have not seen any real change in my weight loss. It's down to about 1lb per week now, but it has been at that level for the last 6 weeks or so. Anyway, I am not having a problem putting in those extra 300 or so calories, but I find that I don't seem to really need them exactly. I will finish out my day feeling as though I have eaten a whole lot, and sit down to my fitday to try to see if I missed something, sure I have gone way over, and nope..its still just at 1400 every day. Have I really gotten so used to eating 1100 to 1200 calories that just the addition of 2 to 300 feels like that much? If I don't feel as though I need them should I just leave them out? I am thinking that its probably best I leave them in, since it has not affected my loss, but I also figure that if most days I feel perfectly fine on the lower number, why tempt fate? Bear in mind folks, my calorie count may seem awfully low to a lot of you, but my lowest healthy weight is only 90 pounds. I just don't need that many calories on my ultra petite body.

Last edited by TornadoSiren; 11-30-2010 at 03:28 PM.
TornadoSiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:41 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

90 pounds would be at the bottom of your normal BMI range. 115 is closer to the top of the normal range for your height.

I would say, eat the 1400 calories. Make sure they are nutritionally sound calories, obviously. Don't add in a donut! More chicken, more complex carbs here and there, a slightly larger portion of nuts... You get the idea. Let the scale be your guide in this, not your perception of whether you "need" the calories. After being at the low end so long, you've probably just gotten used to that.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:45 PM   #3  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

If you aren't hungry, I wouldn't eat the extra calories. Why would you need to eat 1600 or 1700 a day at maintanence? I wouldn't force yourself to eat more food just because a RMR calculator tells you this is what you need to maintain. Those things are pretty inaccurate.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I am slightly taller than you at 5 feet even. I maintain on about 1400 calories a day if I were to eat 1600-1700 calories a day I would start gaining like crazy.

Last edited by bargoo; 11-30-2010 at 05:22 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:30 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I am barely 5 feet and I too would gain like crazy on 1600.

I say if you're not hungry and are totally satisfied, do not add in the extra calories. Your body may not be storing it now, but it's only a matter of time (& not that long) before it does.

I am assuming of course that the calories you are consuming are healthy, nutrient rich ones.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote