Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-30-2010, 10:49 AM   #1  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Default December running!

Tomorrow starts a new month and a new month of running! Being in cold Boston, it will be particularly difficult with the snow and ice, but I'll make it through. I'm going to invest in some taktrax and hopefully that will allow me to progress and keep running outside.

So what are your goals for the month? Anybody training for a race? I have a 5K scheduled in December but at this point, the 3 miles are a piece of cake

My goal for December is to continue to increase my miles. Right now I only run 3 days a week and usually less than 10 - 12 miles a week. By the end of December I hope to be running 15-16 miles a week and have my "long" run be in the 7-8 mile range.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:02 AM   #2  
Maintainer since 12-22-10

S/C/G: 198/190/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_H View Post

So what are your goals for the month? Anybody training for a race? I have a 5K scheduled in December but at this point, the 3 miles are a piece of cake
One day I will be able to say that Matt

I hope to join in here as the other thread that I was on has gotten pretty quiet lately. I am by no means a runner like you are and have recenlty started the C25K program. I am currently at Week 5, having just completed W5D1 yesterday. Looking forward to getting inspiration from all you runners here as I train to start running 5ks in January. Where I live, we have them pretty often, at least once a month - sometimes there are even 3 5ks per month.

So my goal for December - to complete the C25K program so that I will be able to complete a 5K come January 2011

Last edited by Slim CB; 11-30-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Slim CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:42 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 265/198/135

Height: 5'3

I've starting running on the treadmill for the past month and a half. My body still isn't used to it entirely. So my goal is to be able to run 2 miles without holding onto the sides at all. I can do the first 10 mins without holding on and then the remaining time I alternate between the two. Any tips to overcome this would be greatly appreciated!
Dyeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:07 PM   #4  

Well, my goal for the month of December is to run 3x/week. I am currently participating in a rowing challenge with my husband and I work nights..but...we have a running event coming up the 1st weekend in January so I have to get some miles in this month!

Anita
wheresanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:16 PM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Slim CB, completing the C25K is a huge goal! It is such a tremendous accomplishment to have made it to week 5! I remember the day I completed my first 5K on the treadmill. I honestly expected confetti. Imagine my surprise when the machine just kept chugging. LOL!

I pick up running every now and then as my "extra" activity...the activity that's going to BUDGE these pounds! It's not my favorite thing to do but I am still so proud to be able to do it. I'm not likely to run more than 4 miles, but my goal for December is to run hills (maybe a 4.0 incline) at a 5.3 clip for more than two miles. This morning I did it at 5.0 and was exhausted after two miles. I can run four miles on a flat road.

My lungs do not like cold weather running and never, ever have. Even as a little girl whose feet were never still, I did not like running in the cold. So it's the treadmill for me.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: CW: 155 GW: 130

Height: 5'2"

I see I probably should've posted here to join, LOL.

My goals for the month are to be able to run for 10 minutes straight. After that, I want to be able to run for 20 minutes.

I am slowly building back up to being able to run at all. So far I can only run in 60 second intervals with 2min brisk walking in between. Running for 10 minutes without pain seems like a dream.
Pint Sized Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:23 PM   #7  
Maintainer since 12-22-10

S/C/G: 198/190/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
Slim CB, completing the C25K is a huge goal! It is such a tremendous accomplishment to have made it to week 5! I remember the day I completed my first 5K on the treadmill. I honestly expected confetti. Imagine my surprise when the machine just kept chugging. LOL!
This cracked me up!!! LOL!!
Slim CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:11 PM   #8  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

My goal this month is to be able to run 5 miles!!! Awwwhhh...no confetti? LOL!

I'm up to 3.1 miles. I know I can do at least 3 1/2 miles, but I'm recovering from knee pain/injury so didn't want to push it today and activate the pain i had in my left knee last week...

Will try for 3 1/2 miles on Thursday. Have also cut down my running to 3 days a week...to be kind of my knees I do weights and other cardio the other 2 days and 1 rest day.

Welcome ladies/gents...looking forward to productive month! I LOVE RUNNING...WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Question??? How long should I wait before adding hills? Should I go for miles first and then add in hills? I just started doing intervals...so don't wanna move to fast. Thanks

Last edited by joyfulloser; 11-30-2010 at 05:12 PM.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:12 PM   #9  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Hey you cheated - starting the thread on November 30th! I was waiting thinking...maybe I'll be quick enough to start this months thread

This month I plan to keep up my milage at 15-20 miles per week. I have a lot of trips planned and lots of new places to run so that's exciting. Last week I logged in 25 miles with the gym being closed on Thursday so that was a big accomplishment. I debating right now on whether or not to run the local half marathon in February. It's not a very nice route and I just finished my first on the 14th so I wanted to take a training break and focus on lifting a little heavier, but I'd also like to run a full in 2012, so getting in a few 1/2s next year might be good. Who knows, the possibilities are endless now!

Happy running everyone!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:08 PM   #10  

OK, I'm starting December today!~
I ran 5K in 32min..thats pretty swift for me..with no walk breaks..1st time in months! Run twice more this week and I'm 1/5th of the way to meeting my December goal :-)
wheresanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:02 PM   #11  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

I did cheat...sorry.

I promise you can start the next months thread ncuneo!
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:26 PM   #12  
penguin

S/C/G: 172/169/128

My goal is to stick to my 5k training plan and to PR on New Year's Day.
flatfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:19 PM   #13  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I ran about 5.5 miles last night, took me almost exactly an hour. I'm slow but I'm getting a little faster! I want to go again tonight but my knees and legs are still feeling the burn from yesterday and I'm worried it will be one of those "I can't do this at all" runs where I stop after 5-10 minutes because it feels so bad.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:20 PM   #14  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

I am running 3-4 miles per day with 1 day off running per week. I am training to run the Rock N Roll 1/2 Marathon in Dallas on 3/27/11.

At first, the idea seemed ridiculous, but now that I am running this distance every day, it seems doable.

I was training to run the Dallas White Rock Marathon 12 years ago when I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. After 2 brain surgeries and a stroke last year, I thought I would never run again. Then I saw a program where Michael J. Fox could still ice skate as though he didn't have PD. I started slowly running again in August of this year, and now I feel as though there is no stopping me. My biggest fear is that my brain pacemaker batteries will give out while I am training and screw up my schedule. I am due to have rechargeable batteries placed on this next surgery, and those will last 8-9 years. Right now my batteries are only lasting 1-2 years.

There is hope that we can all do anything we set our minds to. Take it from me. We can all do this!
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:24 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 172/172/152

Height: 5'3"

I think this week will be the first time I hit 20 miles for the week. Woo! I plan on sticking with around that all month. And I think I will run a 5k in a few weeks.
wickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote