General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-29-2010, 03:02 AM   #1  
Need to stay motivated!!

S/C/G: 202/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Default Bridalplasty

Anyone else watching this ridiculous show? I can't believe some of the women on there!! A couple of the women on the show don't even look like they need anything! Then they wonder why women have image issues!!

Last edited by NiteOwlMommy; 11-29-2010 at 06:32 AM.
NiteOwlMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #2  

S/C/G: CW: 155 GW: 130

Height: 5'2"

I haven't seen the show, but I did see a segment of it on The Soup. I agree, it's awful. They showed a clip of the doctor circling and shading in areas that needed "fixed". To me, it looked like she just needed to tone up, maybe lose a few pounds. How is it easier for a girl who *could* be a few pounds overweight to get lipo/skin removal and deal with the recovery than it would be to just hit the gym? She looked 5-10lbs overweight at the very MOST.

I think it's sending a very bad message to women (and people in general) that says, "If you're not happy with something, just get surgery."

And what are the women saying about themselves? They're adults. It's their choice, I suppose. But exploiting myself so I could get plastic surgery? Not for me. A lot of the women looked perfectly fine.
Pint Sized Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I wonder what their grooms will think when they walk down the aisle completely different. It isn't just lipo , breast augmentation is also included and in one case the Doc is going to remove poc marks on the bride's face. I am not against plastic surgery but I think this is crazy.

Last edited by bargoo; 11-29-2010 at 09:40 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:34 PM   #4  
Kicking the soda habit

S/C/G: 214/204/165

Height: 6'0"

This show is outrageous!! I have only seen clips of it because frankly, it makes me sick. The women on the show are beautiful and they are being drawn on and "reconstructed" like slabs of meat. I'm with Pint Sized Terror - some of the women could easily go to the gym if they were that concerned about losing 5-10lbs and toning a few areas. It's ridiculous that they would rather go under the knife and go through the recovery period rather than tone up.

What kind of message is this sending to women? That no matter how you look, it's never good enough. There's always room for improvement. I can understand some reconstructive surgery or... modifying a body part that you have always been self-conscious about but this... this is not good at all. :|
GreenTeaYum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #5  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

I saw previews for it.

I refuse to watch it.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:44 PM   #6  
superfab

S/C/G: I don't care about my weight.

Height: 5'7"

I think the most hilarious part of the show is how they are all sitting down drinking alcohol and eating pasta and tons of other foods and talking about how they need liposuction. Ridiculous.
KoriHallelujah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:02 PM   #7  
Need to stay motivated!!

S/C/G: 202/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

KoriHallelujah Yeah I found that funny too. I wonder how many of those women that are getting lots of lipo are thinking about actually maintaining their new size for life not just for the wedding day...

Last edited by NiteOwlMommy; 11-29-2010 at 10:06 PM.
NiteOwlMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:37 AM   #8  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

I saw that clip on The Soup as well. Joel McHale was right to mock that show--because really, isn't the underlying message that despite their upcoming marriages, these women really aren't good enough in their current "before" forms? Ugh, I think it's vile in every way--from the producers to the contestants, it's just a nauseating show.

I was going to add the disclaimer that I'm not anti-plastic-surgery, but you know...I think I am pretty anti-PS when it's done so extensively for so little reason. Surgery's serious. It's not the stuff of competitive reality shows. What happens if one of these women sustains nerve damage during a procedure and is left with numbness? What about scarring? What about even more serious complications that threaten her health or life?

I wish this fad for Franken-faces would die out and that people would start seeing over-surgeried faces as the scary things they are. People who cannot visibly express normal human emotion anymore thanks to massive plastic surgery aren't pretty, they're damaged.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:59 AM   #9  
Live. Laugh. Love.

S/C/G: 191.5/126/120

Height: 5'1

I saw 10 minutes of the first episode and was speechless. It's strange to me that their fiance's would want to walk down the aisle with a person who looks like a virtual stranger.

I really hope this show tanks so no more of these types of shows are generated. I won't be watching any more episodes.
InControl2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:25 AM   #10  

S/C/G: CW: 155 GW: 130

Height: 5'2"

What's so creepy about this show is that people are so willing to change what they look like to fit an ideal. Look at Heidi Montag and hundreds of other girls who have surgically altered their looks. They all have a very "plastic" look to them that hardly looks genuinely human anymore. It's so sad that they're perpetuating it with shows like this.

And yep, I find it utterly stupid that they are all eating and drinking like that, and then think they *HAVE* to get surgery to fix themselves.
Pint Sized Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:51 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 2"

Saw the commercial for it and thought it was horrible! It reminded of a similar show that was on quite a few years ago called "The Swan". where women came on and couldnt look at themselves, diet, get surgery everywhere and who ever looked the best "FROM SURGERY" or whatever won the show. Just as NiteOwlMommy said "and they wonder why women have image issues" so sad
JennieGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:26 PM   #12  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

I refuse to watch this show. It just seems so stupid!! I heard it tanked in the ratings.
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #13  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

The thing is, this show and similar ones may be doing very real damage to viewers. Read this:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-sus....html?ir=Style
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:06 AM   #14  
little by little

S/C/G: 220/215/150

Height: Five foot two

Yeah I watched it. What a trainwreck!! Some of those women are very, very skinny (some seem underweight) and they want liposuction?? Not cool, if you ask me. I don't generally agree with most plastic surgery-- with a couple of exceptions, like breast reduction, or to correct sagging after a lot of weight loss, or for serious medical reasons-- so this show was just shocking to me.

And the way the one woman was happy to get the injection thing to correct her, as she said it "butt face" I kept shaking my head. And I wonder about the men in these relationships too. And I wonder if these women are going to get counseling. Because if they feel that badly about themselves before surgery, they aren't going to feel any better about themselves post surgery.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:21 PM   #15  
Diet Started: 1/4/10

S/C/G: 164/ticker/99

Height: 5'0"

Wow. I watched it today, and... I don't even know WHAT to say!

I can't believe that they'd want to go through all those surgeries. That's a lot of recovery needing to be done.

I'm surprised that a woman from the Biggest Loser found her way onto this show too. So she didn't spend long on the show... but apparently her husband-to-be did, and surely she's watched it and all that... wouldn't she know by now that there's alternatives to liposuction and tummy tucks?

I would say most, or all, of the women on that show were more attractive than myself. At least to me. Yet I don't see a need, personally, to have these opporations done to myself. AND I have like the worst self esteem in the world! Then again, that plastic look you start to get after doing so many surgeries kind of creeps me out, and I wouldn't want that.

Interesting article, JayZee. This line stood out to me: "In other words, for women who had shaky self-esteem to begin with, viewing a show about plastic surgery made it even worse."

Now I'm terrified to watch shows like this! My self esteem needs work as it is, and I guess these shows just aren't healthy for it. (But I'm so curious to see the before/after. Ugh.)
Wild Vulpix is offline   Reply With Quote