Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 02:20 AM   #1  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Arrow IP Daily Chat Monday, 29 November 2010

Welcome and welcome back to the Daily Chat thread -- introduce yourself, post your plans for today, share what's been happening, ask questions!

Some forum lingo:
NSV = Non-Scale Victory
TOM = time of the month
WI = Weigh-in
WF = Walden Farms

Progress photos have been moved to the Mini-Goal Photo Album.

Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home Page
Consider making it a bookmark or a favorite in your browser so you can come back easily to get your RDA of Ideal Protein information.
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home Page

3FATCHICKS Forum Technical Stuff

Tickers and signatures:
There are 2 requirements to have access to signatures and tickers. You must have
  • been a member of 3fatchicks for 20 days
  • AND
  • posted at least 20 messages anywhere on the 3fatchicks forum.
When you've met those requirements check The Ultimate Signature and Ticker Thread
for more information and instructions.

Search: If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using Google. More information is here in this Search tip using Google

Quoting: The best quoting tip - EVER!! Thanks Rosie, aka 6710.

Other helpful links

Dr. Tran Tien Chanh's website

PDF file of Dr. Tran Tien Chanh's book, The Unbalanced Diet Approach to a Slimmer You

Have a wonderful week (and stay warm)!
Old 11-29-2010, 02:25 AM   #2  

Here is the link back to this past weekend's activity and posts. That thread will remain open until sometime later today when Sheila will close it. If you wish to reply to anyone on their weekend chat, please multiquote and copy/paste it into this thread.

Thanks!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...ov-2010-a.html

Make it a great Monday everyone!
Old 11-29-2010, 02:57 AM   #3  

catch up comments for the weekend:

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiegirl View Post
First I would like to say THANK YOU to everyone on this forum. I am so inspired by your stories to keep going. It is such a lifestyle change and everyday I have been on the program I have learned something new. I still have many more questions.

1. What does everyone use to keep track of their progress? If they are onlinee, where do I find them?
2. I think I saw somewhere that some were allowed to eat pickles whenever they wanted. What are your thoughts on this?
3. What are some good water alternitives? I hate water and am having such a hard time getting it all in.
4. Who exercises and how much? I have been on this program 1 week.
5. Also please give me ideas to keep the hunger away. LOL.

Again Thank you all so much. You are so motivating!

To answer the questions:

1- many people use fitday.com others are using livestrong.com (my daily plate). I kept my own written journal.

2- Pickles are allowed but read the ingredients and use with caution. They can have sugar, they will have carbs so watch serving size, and they are high in sodium.

3- water is a necessity. without it you tax your kidneys and create kidney problems on this diet. It is essential to keeping you hydrated and to keep the liver functioning as a fat burner instead of a back up toxin removal system for the kidneys. find ways to like the water. Options are to flavor it with lemon, lime, cucumber, mint, flavored stevia drops, or a small amount of an IP drink packet (kind of like you would use a crystal light); use just enough to add some flavor. It will also help hold off hunger.

4- exercise is up to you and your coach. Some people are running and doing zumba from the start. Other people wait until they are 3 weeks in to slowly add back exercise and then they keep it to a low/moderate heart rate. Read the exercise thread for many great tips and advice!

5- Ways to keep away hunger include: using your omega oils. eating all your salad and veggies, spacing your veggies a little bit away from your meal as a snack. Or use a small salad as a snack. eating at regular intervals and times. stay hydrated.

IF DURING THE FIRST WEEK OR TWO you are very hungry, you may add one extra IP packet. It will help you adjust to the lower carbs and calories.

Welcome to the group!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
I'm having a little trouble believing it myself. And believing I'll get everything done I need to do. I'm planning to stay, if I can get a residence visa -- not easy, and I have to buy my own health insurance at about $750/month, depending on the strength of the dollar. Strength may be the wrong word.

As to posting, well, I'll still be coming on as most people's days are ending or ended only now I'll be 6 hours ahead of the east coast, not six hours behind. Somehow I can't seem to come out on the long end of the stick here.
I can't wait to hear about your European adventures. I hope you can get the visa! I would love to live over there. It is really a beautiful place. I am sure you will enjoy being closer to your family too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatlocalgirlnomore View Post
Aloha! I joined IP on Nov, 16th and at my first WI, I lost 11.6 lbs. and 5" off of my total body. WOWZA! I know that that was only the first week and from here on out it might be 1-4 lbs. a week but, I was so happy. I am at the end of my second week and I can't wait to see what it will be. I have never been so excited to jump on a scale. aha!
I do have a quick question tho..

Does anyone know if I have to have the soups? I can handle everything else but, the soups is a little hard for me. ( or how to change it up a bit.

I would also love to read about phase 1 dinner recipes if anyone has any to share.

Have a great evening!

Please check out the recipes and recipes 2 threads! You will find many wonderful options.

You do not need to have the soup. You may eat anything that you enjoy. It can even be all drinks every day if that works for you!

Linden shared the home page link so, when you are there, at the top of the page you will find several threads labeled tips for newbies and recipes 2 and recipes. Read as much as you can. Ask questions! We are all willing to help here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
Finally! Aloha and mahalo for joining us. It is SO great to have you here. And your first week's loss is one of the very best I've ever seen. What a way to begin. WELCOME.

I was so excited I forgot to tell you to bookmark http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/
and official join the forum. This URL will take you to all of the IP stickies (permanent locations) and threads. In the stickies you'll find 2 that are devoted to (hundreds of) recipes -- most of them for Phase 1. And do read the Tips for Newbies sticky. Lots of helpful and useful information. In fact read liberally as you get a chance.
LINDEN!!! You are no longer our only Hawaiian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaCourez View Post
Hi all! I've been away from the computer for awhile, and am just now trying to catch up with all of your posts. I had a good weekend -- staying with the IP principals this weekend was difficult, but I did the best I could. I feel like I'm up, but I haven't had a chance to weigh myself.

I'm leaving for a long work trip starting Tuesday -- tomorrow is a phase 1 day for me as recovery then going to do the best I can while I'm gone. I'll only be able to check in periodically, so good luck everyone.

Linden, I'm so sad you'll be posting less for awhile...we'll all miss you -- check in when you can!!

JC

I am sure you will do great JC! Stay in touch when you can. I know you have the determination and the tools to have a great work trip!
Old 11-29-2010, 06:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 201/147/155

Height: 5"9

Good morning all! It's been a while since I have posted. Sounds like everyone is doing great. I am almost at my goal weight (but my coach says he will take me down past it 5 lbs-but I guess you guys who are veterens know this). Anyway I have made it through trips, eating out, holidays,etc-then yesterday the hunger hit. It would not go away and I used every trick I knew (drank more water, ate celery, WF, a pickle, etc. So I caved and ate 1/2 a bag of southwestern cheese curls (IP's). Now this morning I have gained 1lb! I am hoping that that little bit didn't make me gain-good lord when I start introducing food in during lunch and breakfast I will really gain!! Today I am strickly doing non restricted ip foods. Tomorrow we are leaving for Houston for the rest of the week and am hoping that I can stay on track.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 11-29-2010, 07:29 AM   #5  
Started IP 11/5/10

S/C/G: 180/160/130

Height: 5'6"

Good Morning!

I'm at 162# today - the last time I lost weight in 2008 it took me 4 months to get to this exact weight from the same starting weight.

This time it took me about 3 & 1/2 weeks!!!

Love you IP

~Michelle
Old 11-29-2010, 07:36 AM   #6  
Health vs. Madness

S/C/G: 230/216/150

Height: 1st attempt 270/151/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarice41 View Post
Good morning all! It's been a while since I have posted. Sounds like everyone is doing great. I am almost at my goal weight (but my coach says he will take me down past it 5 lbs-but I guess you guys who are veterens know this). Anyway I have made it through trips, eating out, holidays,etc-then yesterday the hunger hit. It would not go away and I used every trick I knew (drank more water, ate celery, WF, a pickle, etc. So I caved and ate 1/2 a bag of southwestern cheese curls (IP's). Now this morning I have gained 1lb! I am hoping that that little bit didn't make me gain-good lord when I start introducing food in during lunch and breakfast I will really gain!! Today I am strickly doing non restricted ip foods. Tomorrow we are leaving for Houston for the rest of the week and am hoping that I can stay on track.

Sounds like you did a wonderful job of staying on track. I use a 4th protein at least once a week. For myself, when I weigh every day, I am up and down with the numbers, which means I am up and down with my emotions. I weigh one time a week and only one time per week. Give your body and your head a break. This plan works if you work it. Some days I am hungrier than others. lettuce with WF is a good filler, just eat enough of it. Keep up the good work. Also, when I travel for work, I am very explicite with the waiters about what I want. It was a bit uncomfortable in the beginning, but I always end up with a chicken breast, beef, or fish that is cooked the way I need and I eat a salad without carrots, and steamed veggies without sauce. We deserve this. We have been taking care of everyone else's needs all of our lives andlook where it got us. Now it is time for us. Have fun on your trip.

Last edited by rosemary2612; 11-29-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:18 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 240/200/170

Height: 5'7"

Monday...and I'm looking forward to the week... I was reading
in another section about loose skin when you lose all your weight..
I really would prefer to have a smaller body with some wrinkles...
than a large body....
Here's to a good week...I'm going to get a little more exercise in this week..
and I have to go get a few pairs of pants..so thats exciting..

I really had a lot of energy yesterday and I hope that kind of energy
keeps going...
Old 11-29-2010, 08:49 AM   #8  
CBG

S/C/G: 196/163/160

Hope everyone is ready for a wonderful week. I haven't quite decided if I should phase out before the Christmas holidays or remain in Phase II with a few planned cheats. My cheats would be a few pieces of fresh fruit and some delightful red wine. I really don't miss the rice, potatoes, pasta or bread and know I will stay away from all that - yes, even the stuffing! What has worked for others?
Old 11-29-2010, 09:14 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 162/132/130

Height: 5'3"

Off for my weigh in. Missed last week due to surgery, and will miss next week - going on cruise. So hopefully scale is kind to me this week, and they have some suggestions for eating while on cruise. I'm not planning to just stop IP, thinking I will have IP breakfast and eat 2 normal meals lunch and dinner - maybe a glass or 2 of wine during the week. Then back on phase 1 when I get back.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:19 AM   #10  
I see the light....

S/C/G: 204.6/191.4/155

Smile Perfect Way to start the Week

This morning marks the start of my 4th week on IP and I did my WI #3..... I am down 6lbs That is my biggest loss so far and SOOOO makes my Monday..... That is 13lbs in 3 weeks. I don't think I can say that I have ever done that well before

Just want to say THANK YOU to all of you who share and post regularly... It's a HUGE inspiration and support.... I appreciate every one of you.....

Old 11-29-2010, 09:27 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarice41 View Post

Good Job at staying on track!! NO, you did not create one pound of weight with 1/2 bag of Ip SW cheese curls. Whatever was happening was already happening before you had them. It is more likely to be water weight from the salt in the pickle than anything else. Some pickles are extremely high in sodium!

You don't say when you started IP or how many weeks you have been on plan. As your body makes its adjustment to a ketogenic diet, there are specific points that people experience common things. Weeks 4 to 6 and weeks 11 to 14 seem to kick of those adjustment windows. Some people breeze quickly through and, for others it can last one to several weeks. One of those adjustment periods can leave you quite hungry. When that happens, those who move through most quickly and continue to lose weight easily are those who add an extra unrestricted packet or 1/2 restricted packet, or replace an unrestricted with a restricted packet.

I truthfully don't know the logic behind this change. I suspect that it takes place when our body has fully adjusted to using the ketase packets (ketone carriers) as fuel and then has become efficient. At that point, our body begins to convert protein easily into the necessary level of glucose and glycogen for other protein, glycerol, and amino acid sources. One of those sources is our muscle. We don't want to burn muscle so, if you find you are very hungry, rather than restrict the food, make a smarter choice and give your body a little more protein to use in the process, or give it a little more protein/carbs ie a restricted packet. You should find, during the course of that week, you manage the hunger and don't create any significant weight gain.

Accept that losing weight is not always in a perfectly downward line. Sometimes, as your body adjusts to how you want it to work, it makes little "hiccup" adjustments. In the end over the course of the week or month, your downward decline is still apparent and those daily hiccups smooth out to a nice "linear appearance" in the right direction!

As a side note, trying to be too restricted when your body needs the support of the added protein or a bit more carbs, could back fire on you. You could stall out for a bit, or you could burn off your own muscle then you would slow your metabolism DOWN. Not good in the long run because, that muscle is helping you burn the fat and, that muscle is what keeps your resting metabolism high which helps keep you losing more quickly, it also keeps your body fat ratio down. Losing weight but having it come from muscle is counter productive and can leave you as the skinny fat girl with all the health issues of a fat person.

Best advice for this week, if you are hungry, EAT a little bit more!

Enjoy your trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacePainterMD View Post
Good Morning!

I'm at 162# today - the last time I lost weight in 2008 it took me 4 months to get to this exact weight from the same starting weight.

This time it took me about 3 & 1/2 weeks!!!

Love you IP

~Michelle
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Isn't it amazing how differently this program works! You also feel healthier getting there. (And, that's coming from someone who had the bulk of the side effects you can have on this! I still felt better overall and in general!)

You are really doing a great job with this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBG View Post
Hope everyone is ready for a wonderful week. I haven't quite decided if I should phase out before the Christmas holidays or remain in Phase II with a few planned cheats. My cheats would be a few pieces of fresh fruit and some delightful red wine. I really don't miss the rice, potatoes, pasta or bread and know I will stay away from all that - yes, even the stuffing! What has worked for others?
In my opinion, it depends how close you are to goal for the holidays. Neither fruit nor wine are classic Christmas splurges. Also, you get some fruit back in phase 3 so, if you have made it to phase 3 you should be able to have a bit without it being a cheat.

Is this your first time strictly following a ketogenic diet (very low carb)? If so, be aware there is a phenomena that does occur regularly, it is called the Golden Shot. For many people, the first time they are exposed to a ketogenic diet, there body is put in an extreme confusion as it adjusts to burning ketase/ketones for fuel. That causes a really rapid initial weight loss. Once you interrupt that be a "first real cheat", some people are unable to recreate the rapid loss. WHY? Because your body has learned how to adapt to either fuel. It is no longer "lost" while you switch from one way of eating to the other. It is therefore a bit harder for some to cheat and then go quickly back into ketosis and back to rapid/large weight losses.

IMHO,If you have not yet had a cheat and are very close to being done, I would avoid the cheats/treats of any kind until you get there. Take complete advantage of this new experience and then, when you do your cheat days in phase 4 and at your goal weight, you won't find the challenge of moving back into ketosis because it will be about maintaining a weight not about quickly losing or continuing to lose a large amount of weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyh View Post
Off for my weigh in. Missed last week due to surgery, and will miss next week - going on cruise. So hopefully scale is kind to me this week, and they have some suggestions for eating while on cruise. I'm not planning to just stop IP, thinking I will have IP breakfast and eat 2 normal meals lunch and dinner - maybe a glass or 2 of wine during the week. Then back on phase 1 when I get back.
Best wishes at the weigh in! Enjoy the cruise! Remember to stay well hydrated. Traveling, wind, and sun can definitely dehydrate you. Also, stay hydrated so you will be less inclined to enjoy a temptation. (there will be many!) Remember, if you have wine have red wine that is dry. Also remember, vodka is a better choice and can be mixed with sparkling water or diet tonic/soda. MOST IMPORTANTLY, it isn't the carbs from the alcohol that interfere with our dieting as much as 1) when people drink they are inclined to become a little more hungry and have an extra bit of "something". 2) your body processes alcohol before carbs then processes protein and fats. You basically will be delaying the process so, any food you ate can be digested more slowly. 3) Alcohol requires water to be flushed from the system. To do this, your liver stops processing fat and changes its resource to processing alcohol toxins from your body. This will dehydrate you. Overall, these are what can cause you to gain weight drinking alcohol of any kind while dieting. If your coach has approved you having some, use it carefully.

Enjoy the trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJay View Post
This morning marks the start of my 4th week on IP and I did my WI #3..... I am down 6lbs That is my biggest loss so far and SOOOO makes my Monday..... That is 13lbs in 3 weeks. I don't think I can say that I have ever done that well before

Just want to say THANK YOU to all of you who share and post regularly... It's a HUGE inspiration and support.... I appreciate every one of you.....

CONGRATULATIONS!! WOO HOO!! That is a great 3rd week weigh in! I suspect you will float through the entire day!

Last edited by showgirlaz; 11-29-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:36 AM   #12  
IP started Nov 2010

S/C/G: 219/171/140 IP 186 started

Height: 5' 2"

Morning everyone. I went back on track yesterday and plan on pushing hard this week to get back on my course. For all who have been able to stay on track I give you a lot of credit..it isn't easy. Have a good day.
Paula
Old 11-29-2010, 09:40 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglycold View Post
Morning everyone. I went back on track yesterday and plan on pushing hard this week to get back on my course. For all who have been able to stay on track I give you a lot of credit..it isn't easy. Have a good day.
Paula
Good job getting back on track! Remember, every moment is your opportunity to reaffirm your commitment to using the IP program and to support your decision to reach your goal.

Find a thing to keep you inspired as you get back on track! You are off to a really great start!
Old 11-29-2010, 10:00 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 233.5/214/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJay View Post

Great job!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglycold View Post
Paula

Paula Here is some It isn't easy!!! I was talking to a fellow IPer and she was quite exasperated when people say to her..."Oh you are losing weight the easy way!!" NO WE AREN'T!!!!

I am also having a little harder time this past while...been on IP since April and have lost 58 lbs...so I am back to the One day at at time like I did when I started!!
Have a great day Paula!!!
Old 11-29-2010, 10:08 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 233.5/214/160

Default Good Monday Morning Everyone!!!

26 days until

Inspirational thought for the day; Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.

Another busy day for me....Grandson's birthday!! He wants pizza (a large salad for me!!) for supper, group study this afternoon, delivering product, visiting my Dad...should be a great one!!

Have a wonderful IP Day, Everyone!!
Closed Thread