Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-27-2010, 08:16 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/297/165

Height: 5'7

Default Hurt myself and need advice

Hi all,
I hurt myself exercising. I was doing the Wii Step aerobics and managed to tear the muscle group on my upper right calf.
I haven't been able to exercise in a month or so and have fallen off the wagon so to speak and gained 3 lbs back.

Is there exercises I can do with out hurting myself further? Oh, and my stationary bike broke too. My Doc told me not to do anything with this leg until it heals.
jilly6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:41 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Do what your doctor says.

Control your weight by limiting what you eat. That's the main part of weight loss anyway. Put your efforts into that.

Check back with your doctor to see when you'll be OK to exercise again. Ask whether you need physical therapy, and if so when and from whom.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:57 AM   #3  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

There are exercises you can do with the Wii that don't involve your leg. I love the one on the Fit Plus where you are wearing a bird suit and flying from target to target - your upper arms get a great work out flapping like crazy. Plus there are plenty that don't burn many calories but you're moving and helps keep you in touch with your body and balance so when you can use your calf again you'll be ready!
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #4  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

I like the Wii bird game LOL. Please take it easy and let your body heal. Many of us have lost substantial amounts of weight without heavy exercise. Even moving your arms while sitting in a chair is better than complete rest. Focus on your food choices and rest until the doctor gives you the go ahead
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #5  
Funsized Fiesta

S/C/G: 230/144.5/130

Height: 5'4"

Lower your calories if you continue to gain and try some upper body exercises. You can still lift weights or do something like boxing (which is good cardio that doesn't require use of your legs). Just do your best while you're injured, and make sure you slowly get back into things once you get the okay to exercise again-- don't want to overdo it and get a new injury.
KenzideRhae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:24 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
boxing (which is good cardio that doesn't require use of your legs).
You're kidding, right? What kind of boxing do you do?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Check out this video for a pure upper body workout -- and just 'cause it's kind of fun.

I think there are more like it on youtube.
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #8  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Check out this video for a pure upper body workout -- and just 'cause it's kind of fun.

I think there are more like it on youtube.
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:18 PM   #9  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

You could probably play all the Wii sports games (bowling, tennis, etc.) from the couch. If you wanted to, that is. I think it's fine to take a hiatus from exercise until you're healed. What an awful injury! When you're ready, I'd start with something low impact like walking.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:12 PM   #10  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I would second the free weights, get some fairly light ones (they're cheap or maybe you know someone with a set who'll give or lend you a pair). Also, is good to have someone who knows show you for form. You do a few sets of 10 of 4 or 5 different types of exercises
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxEpj...eature=channel

you'd be surprised how these can get your heart rate up. and you'll notice a difference in your muscles fairly quickly.

also side bends are a great exercise. it involves standing, but really 3 to 4 minutes of side bends is a good amount.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x4Zl86oCPY
you can do it this way, or your arms along the side of your body without weights

I know those leg injuries suck big time, just had a knee one myself. hang in there whatever you decide to do. Think of it as a hiccup.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:48 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 330/297/165

Height: 5'7

Thanks for all the great advice and links to videos! I will be checking them all out today!
You all have made my day.
jilly6 is offline   Reply With Quote