Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-27-2010, 11:23 AM   #1  
Fairy Princess

S/C/G: 396/220/200

Height: 5'11"

Smile *Brr* so cold!

Since loosing as much weight as I have, there are many up sides of course! but I've noticed that as the weather turns colder, I am feeling cold all the time.

The worst part is once I get cold it seems to take a lot to get me to warm up, almost always requiring a long hot shower or bath before I can feel comfortable even if the room I am in is warm.

I was wondering if anyone else had to deal with this, if there's something I could be doing about it, or if anyone had any tips? I realize that it may take a couple years even for my body to fully 'accept' that it's at the weight it's at now.. and that this may be part of it.. but I'm not very patient and it sucks having freezing hands all the time!

Thanks in advance for any input people may have.
azhriaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:28 AM   #2  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

I think this is pretty common. Soaking in the hot tub has been my favorite activity lately lol. Last year we had a cold Canadian winter and I felt it! I was also over 200 pounds at that time. This year we have had some cold days where I swore we were living in the arctic . The thermometer told me it wasn't that bad out but it felt like it. I find myself asking my husband how cold it feels to him compared to a winter day. My internal temperature is so off that I can't tell a freezing day from a moderately cold one. We have yet to have a really cold days (-35c) and I am not sure how I am going to make it through without freezing to death LOL
No advice here, but you are not alone
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:31 AM   #3  

Height: 5'3"

I am over 350 pounds yet I feel cold all the time except in the heat of the summer. That is the only time I ever feel truly warm. I have even had my thyroid checked because hypothyroidism runs in my family but my tests were all normal so it cannot be that.
I have to have hot showers to warm up as well or add on extra clothes.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:34 AM   #4  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnlow28 View Post
Last year we had a cold Canadian winter
We did? I thought last winter was pretty mild. Today I am FREEZING and the outside temp is 0c. (feels like -7c with the windchill)
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Oooooh - me too!! It's not even officially winter yet! I couldn't live without my deep soaker tub. One bonus -when I was heavier I had bought a new duvet and it ended up being too heavy and hot (and no return policy). Now that I've lost weight and seem to be cold all the time, I pulled the duvet out of storage and YEAH -- my new best friend! I even have to put wool socks on. Another idea. I bought a twin size electric blanket which I put on the foot of my bed - just warms my feet and I turn it off after I hop into bed. Mind you, this was before the monster duvet. Keep warm!!! And enjoy the reason we're so cold! SMILE.
jls0867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:19 PM   #6  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Me too, I get colder quicker, and it seems to go bone-deep, and only a bath brings me round.
We've been hit by a sudden cold snap here in England, it's abolutely bitter. I can't begin to think what my fuel bills will be but hey!

Still, I got chance to try my new winter trax for the first time today, and they work really well! At least I'll be able to keep up my daily walks.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

My body has never adjusted to the cold. I've been at maintenance for a couple of years now and I'm still freezing all the time. Anything less than 75 degrees and I'm wearing a sweater.

I think it's one of those secrets that skinny people have been keeping for generations; they're always cold.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:46 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

I have some exercise videos that I stopped doing during the summer because I get so hot and sweaty. I plan to do them again when it gets chilly! Especially since there is no heat in my house. There is a squat-overhead press combination I only need to do about ten of before I start warming up.

I haven't figured out how to cope with it at work in our open-plan office yet, though.

I used to take hot baths to warm up too, but you can also just put your chilly feet or hands into warm water. Also, the old-fashioned hot water bottles are wonderful. They still have them in drug stores, I have even found some with fuzzy covers.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:11 PM   #9  
Maintainer since 12/21/10

S/C/G: 260/144/145

Height: 5'5"

No advice, just wanted to say I'm there with you. I used to have pretty much one wardrobe for year-round and wore mainly short sleeved shirts. This fall, I've been noticeably cold a lot. I suspect I'm going to have to wear long sleeves and layers for most of the fall and winter.
Oboegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:25 PM   #10  
Fairy Princess

S/C/G: 396/220/200

Height: 5'11"

It certainly seems that I'm far from alone.. which in itself is good to hear. I'm sure everyone understands that "Am I missing something?" feeling, and just hearing "Nope, that's just how it is for a lot of us" goes a long way in the whole thing. Thanks for all the replies!
azhriaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:59 PM   #11  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

Being really cold is common? Huh. I never knew that. I mean, I get cold way easier now than before, and I still don't really know what to do about it. I mean, I warm up, but it's weird for me.

I get so, so cold and have to wear two shirts, a sweater and a coat. Others I see out and about have a sweater and no hood. I have a hat AND a hood. And the cold does seem to go straight to my bones. And I'm still overweight! What the heck is it gonna be like when I'm smaller? Freezing, I suppose.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #12  
Funsized Fiesta

S/C/G: 230/144.5/130

Height: 5'4"

I am so cold all the time, it's ridiculous. I was always that person who complained about being too hot in the summer, then was perfectly fine wearing jeans and a t-shirt out in the winter, but now it feels like I'm freezing 24/7 (and summer was absolutely lovely!). I just wear extra layers and wrap myself in extra blankets at night. I'd stay in my nice, hot shower all day long if I could, though. I know, logically, that it's really not quite as cold as I feel it is, but that doesn't help the fact that I always feel like I'm going to freeze to death. XD
KenzideRhae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:40 PM   #13  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

I am definitely not looking forward
to when it starts snowing. I think it's
freezing now, well I don't even want
to think about how cold it's going to be.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:09 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Sorry to report, but 8 plus yrs. maintaining ~an 80# loss, still freezing. And yes, hot tub baths are a must. We just don't have that fat layer of insulation we once did. *Oh well. Not sure why that translates to such cold hands, but 'tis true. I *laff at my friends who have had the WLS surgery, and once were *so hot, and are now *so cold. It comes with the territory.
maryblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:44 PM   #15  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I was cold when thin, and was still cold when I gained weight. BUT, then perimenopause hit, and I am usually warm. Or I get cold, put on a sweater, and have to rip it off a few minutes later when I get overheated.
I can handle cold now, but if I get warm, I absolutely can't stand to get overheated. I worry I will strip naked in public sometimes, it is so hard to handle.
Something to look forward to in your forties!
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote