Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-18-2010, 03:54 PM   #1  

Default Excercise making you sick?

Have any of you felt under the weather immediately after working out? I tend to feel like that almost every time that I do workout and I dont know if Im doing something wrong. My guess is its either germs at the gym or me walking out of the gym without putting on a sweater after working out. I was just curious if anyone can shed any light on it.
LiLLy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:32 PM   #2  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

I feel like that many times too after leaving the gym and usually it's that I pushed too hard for the amount of food and especially water I'd consumed before the gym that day.

I work out in the evenings after work. So on days I have a light lunch, I usually feel extra tired after working out. Even more so if I haven't been drinking water all day (because I'm not one to stop and have a drink while working out). The "under the weather" feeling I get feels like light-headedness, maybe congestion/flu symptoms, general lethargy etc. I don't know exactly what yours are. When I remember I fight this feeling by making sure I have a good lunch on workout days and that I'm drinking lots of water (a little under 1.5 liters) on gym days before going.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 145/126/115

Height: 5'1"

What exactly do you feel after workouts? For awhile, I was getting something known as "exercised induced headaches"....generally when I pushed myself very hard cardio wise. Other times I would feel a little nauseous after a particularly intense workout. I found that a lot of these things gradually decreased as my overall fitness increased. Though they could have also lessened because I generally now eat better.

I found these things so annoying because I kept hearing people say, "Don't you feel great after working out!?" Well the answer was usually "no!"

Keep with it though...you'll start feeling better :0)
DexterMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:34 AM   #4  

The under the weather symptoms for me are what toastedsmoke described "The "under the weather" feeling I get feels like light-headedness, maybe congestion/flu symptoms, general lethargy etc."

I usually work out in the mornings after having a cup of coffee and a yogurt or something. Maybe I should be eating something more hearty in the mornings
Old 11-19-2010, 09:44 AM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I was like that for a long time when I first started. The harder I worked, the worse it was. I especially had a problem with phlegm. I started taking a Sudafed just prior to a grueling cardio session and that helped tremendously. It's like I had to clear out my lungs for the first few months.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:47 PM   #6  

Good to know that I am not alone, sheesh I thought something was wrong with me. Thanks for the help ladies
Old 11-20-2010, 09:31 PM   #7  
Calorie Counter-Runner

S/C/G: 309/158/164

Height: 5'8

Eat a banana before a work-out, you're probably hungry and not even realizing it, it also could be dehydration or your blood sugar dropping. Try a 1/2 banana before and after a work-out. Good Luck.
twinmommaplusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:40 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 142/139/118

Height: 5' 2"

I would watch for dehydration. I once got really dehydrated after a summer bike ride. I was woozie and feel horrible. I really try to hydrate now, but still find it hard.
hirakukibou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:14 PM   #9  
small plates small bites

S/C/G: 187/135.9/135

Height: 5'6"

You're not alone at all! I often get very cold after running (usually about a half hour after I've finished) and sometimes get a headache and congestion. Usually clears up in a couple hours. I think its just your body re-adjusting to "normal" functions of blood pressure/heart rate, breathing etc.
TapasLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:48 PM   #10  
no gravity!

S/C/G: 301.5/185/150

Height: 5'6"

Sounds like dehydration and low glucose to me. If you're going to work out in the morning, keep in mind that 1. your body has had no water or food for 8 hours while you've been sleeping and 2. coffee will dehydrate you further. The caffeine in coffee can also make you feel lightheaded if you combine it with exercise, an already elevated heart rate, no immediate glucose, and no water beforehand.
moon safari is offline   Reply With Quote