Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-18-2010, 09:22 AM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Question Am I The ONLY One??

Am i the only one that diets and changes their ways, exercises and constantly thinks about their weight and NEVER loses an ounce? What's the secret, i read all sorts of people with success by just cutting down, exercising and so on. I'm doing all of that and staying to the same ounce on the scale. What gives?? Thanks!
pointspluspioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:33 AM   #2  
Joie de Vivre!!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

Are you tracking how many calories you are eating? It doesn't matter what diet you go on if you're not burning more calories than you are taking in.
TheBunneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:38 AM   #3  

Hi,
Yup, i track, i know what calories are now being on ww so many times lol.
I eat between 1200-1300/day. Maybe not enough some say but when i add, i gain weight.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #4  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

are you burning up more then your taking in. like say you eat 1300 calories a day, and you work out and burn about 300, your body is only running on 1000 calories, which we all know isn't good.
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:45 AM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I would like to know what makes up your calories, how long have you been doing this, and what kind of exercise are you doing?

My plan works best when I eat whole foods, limited processed stuff, heavy on the veggie and light on the carbs. Ideally my lunches and dinners are lean meats and two sides of veggies. Dessert is fruit. My breakfast is generally eggs or yogurt or FiberOne cereal or a combination of those.

Cardio is great for fat loss. Are you getting in enough cardio? Strength training is awesome for many, many things, but it can mess with the scale. That's ok as long as you understand and have patience for the good things it is doing. The scale is not always your friend when losing weight.

I firmly believe that weight loss is 80% diet and only 20% exercise. I exercise for my health and eat for weight loss.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:28 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I agree, how long have you been doing it? Are you taking measurements?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:28 AM   #7  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

HOW are you tracking your food? HOW do you know you are taking in only 1200 a day? Are you weighing your food with a digital scale? Are you eyeballing portions of chicken and not *counting* broccolli? SOme people consider veggies to be "free" and if i remember correctly, i believe weight watchers is one of those programs...believe me, veggies have calories! Are you accounting for every bite, lick and taste (alot of times, we dont...myself included!) DO you nibble while you cook? Use PAM cooking spray and splenda and sugar free gum and NOT count these things? They all have calories. If you arent being accurate, honest, and dilligent with EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth (im not saying you arent, but we are all human) than you could easily be consuming hundreds more than you realize! STOP STOP STOP using measuring cups, if you are. WEIGH your food! It will be an eye opener if youve been relying on measuring cups..
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:33 AM   #8  
Happiness is not a weight

Height: 5' 8"

Definitely agree with all of the above posts, but also - how good is your scale? I started out with a really cheap one and got frustrated when it only fluctuated between two specific numbers. Made me think that I wasn't losing any weight until I realized my clothes were looser. I went out and bought a nicer scale that's much more accurate now
smisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:22 PM   #9  
Funsized Fiesta

S/C/G: 230/144.5/130

How long have you been doing this? It might just take awhile to show up on the scale. Also, definitely start measuring inches, especially your bust-waist-hip measurements and your thighs. Some people will lose whole dress sizes without losing any weight on the scale, so inches are a great thing to track progress with.
KenzideRhae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:33 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

If nothing is changing, the something is not being done right - whether it is actually still eating too much (most likely for the average person) or there is some sort of medical condition (less likely but can happen) - something is off.

As I have said to someone else on here... your body does not defy the law of physics There IS a solution, you just haven't found it yet.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:35 PM   #11  

Thank you all for responding and great advice.

A little background that i wasn't too clear earlier in my first post. My weight only goes down when i'm upset like with my bad breakup in '98 i was 245 and lost 70 lbs. (i know not healthy). A few years ago i lost almost 25 with another break up which was '07. My father had a lung transplant 11/08 and i was at 183 and unhappy (i'd take it now!) Slowly as time has gone by, new bf that i live with that is an eater my weight has crept up to 200. I was 190 for a very long time.

Then i was KILLING myself at the gym. Doing spin class 3-4 times a week, step, arc machine, sculpt weights and so on. Since my father's digress AND buying a house i've been off my path. It's like i don't know how to diet or do it right anymore I was so into the gym i wouldn't do anything else before a good workout. Anyways, so getting back on track, i feel i eat the standard same day to know the calories. I have a light multi grain eng. muffin with p.butter for breakfast, green apple for snack, salad with chix or lean cuisine for lunch, nuts for snack and a light lowfat dinner.

I never beleive what stress could do to the body, i'm on melatonin at night and my belly fat from cortisol is awful, never had a belly, always was bottom heavy
Old 11-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
As I have said to someone else on here... your body does not defy the law of physics There IS a solution, you just haven't found it yet.
I read that other thread, lots of good advice on there, i read your advice and i agree
Old 11-18-2010, 12:46 PM   #13  
Calorie counter

Stress has the opposite affect on me, and many of us. It SOUNDS like you lost during stressful times because you lost your appetite. If you are stressed now AND dieting at the same time, it's possible the stress is holding you back to some extent. I don't know. I've always gained weight during stressful times in my life.

I used to kill myself at the gym too. My routine sounded similar to yours. To combat that problem, because it was a problem, I ended up creating a baseline of must-do activity for myself. It's an easy routine I've established that I can fall back on when exercise gets too hard. For me that's spinning M/W/F and lifting T/TH. I go in the morning for an hour 5:30-6:30 every day. I also enjoy running, but only sometimes. Eventually there always comes a day where I just can not run any more because I simply don't want to and/or can't face another day of it. I don't look forward to running. It's the afterglow I'm after! In the past when this happened I'd just give up altogether; all or nothing. Now I return to baseline.

Your meals sound light on veggies to me.

You've told us a lot about what you WERE doing. Aside from food though, what else is going on? What exercise are you engaging in now? And I still don't understand how long you've been trying this time around. If you started straight out with diet AND exercise, it's possible your body is saying, "Hold on there a minute!" I see you registered in November. So has it only been a few weeks or have you been trying to lose prior to posting?
Old 11-18-2010, 12:46 PM   #14  
Calorie counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by distraught dieter View Post
I read that other thread, lots of good advice on there, i read your advice and i agree
Um...you're taking the criticism very well. As intended!!
Old 11-18-2010, 12:53 PM   #15  
Joie de Vivre!!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

Do you actually weigh and measure your food, and write down the calories? It can be actually very easy to get more calories than you think because you don't realize how much you have. A tablespoon of peanut butter is easy to underestimate, and an apple can pack quite a few calories in it depending on the size.

I've tried to just keep a tally of calories in my head before, but it really didn't work for me until I started logging everything and being really honest about the portions. Not to say you aren't! But it's just an idea. =)
TheBunneh is offline   Reply With Quote