Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-16-2010, 01:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 205/205/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Not too long winded...exercise & fat!!!!!

Ok, here goes- not sure if I've got this in the right section or not-so sorry if I'm wrong!!! I was at my doctor's today. To make a very,very long story short, he told me he would not like to see me lose much more weight, if any at all. My mouth dropped, I'm 5'6 and weigh 127 pounds. He said my bmi puts me at a 21 and I shouldn't really go too much lower than that. Sounds good so far right? No!!!!! I told him to look at me, I have to lose more weight, I still have lots of fat on my body!!! He said, yep, you still have fat, but please don't move the scale to much more, start exercising. Apparently, I have a small frame, according to the dr's office and the nurse, but I'll tell you, I'm more of a medium build. So what I'm asking, or trying to say, I don't know is this:

What do I do exercise wise that will make me lose the rest of the weight (fat), but not so much in pounds???

Is that even possible????

How long should that take now lol??? Anyone help, ideas, in a similiar situation???? I'm still going to aim for my original goal weight of 124, and will adjust pounds wise if I need to lose more once I get there. I'm only three pounds off so, I figure I might as well keep that up. If I wasn't so shy to post a picture of my body, I would so everyone can see how much fat is left. To help give you an idea, you can grab easily two handfuls off of my belly!!! This is one reason why I do not understand him saying that I don't need to lose much more in pounds and that exercise will fix this?!?!!? Help!!
Crystalx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Toning! You need strength training and it's awesome.

I've never heard of a situation identical to yours before. I'd love to say you can not spot train, as in the belly. But you can lift for large muscle groups. Squats, lunges, push ups, pull ups, bicep curls, tricep kick backs (or dips on a bench), planks, ab work, calf work, etc. All this is fantastic for toning.

I hope you get responses from people who did this in the order you are. Most people I know toned along the way but I know there are some who chose to lose the weight first and tone later.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:14 PM   #3  

How will toning reduce the actual fat left on my body though??? And will toning still be effective at all for me now? Does it take a long time, and what the heck do i do?!?! lol
Old 11-16-2010, 02:35 PM   #4  
Calorie counter

It must because whenever the scale stalls, I still lose inches. I can't explain HOW but it does.

Put it this way...I'm short and am wearing a size 8 and some size 6's now at my low weight of 157 pounds, AND my pants finally fit better this week even though I GAINED 4 pounds...so today I'm actually 161. I don't know how it works, but I'm very content with my body even though I'm technically overweight by BMI standards. I attribute that entirely to lifting.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:54 PM   #5  
Suicide Wing Winner

S/C/G: 135/98/105

Height: 5'5"

I’m kind of in the same situation as you. I know I shouldn’t lose that much more weight, but I’m still jiggly. I think toning might turn the fat into muscle? I’m not sure since all I do is cardio. I sort of have a fear of building muscle, since that might make me gain weight, but I know that toning/lifting weights might be the only way to tighten up the fat? I mean I run, I would think that would be enough to build muscle. Blah, idk, I just hate being jiggly.

Sorry, I hope other peoples’ responses are more helpful than mine.
Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #6  

S/C/G: (HW=174)154/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

In my opinion, it's a good idea to have regular exercise. The benefits are huge. You'll keep the same weight - maybe a little more or less - but your body will change shape. You'll lose fat and gain muscle, which doesn't take up as much space as fat for the same amount of weight. So you'll weigh the same (or more!) and look much smaller.

Start lifting weights (I personally use the "New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women" book as my program, check the boards here, there are lots of suggestions) and do some cardio - just walking is fine. You'll feel better and start to look better, too. I would be a crazy, mean lady if it weren't for the stress release that exercise brings me. (And the compliments from my husband on how he appreciates the hard work I've been doing. )
RunnerChemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:59 AM   #7  

does it take a long time to see the benefits from exercise? I must admit, I'm out of shape pretty bad- like I doubt I can run to the end of my street with dying. Where do I start with exercise- cardio or weight training first to see the greatest benefits. This is so sad, how clueless I really am. I tried the Gazelle for a while, but it was very short lived. I used to be in wicked shape when I was younger and attended lots of judo.jiu jitsu classes, you would think I would know where to begin, but I really am lost
Old 11-17-2010, 09:08 AM   #8  

It varies - if you haven't exercised in a long time, it may not take you long to see benefit. It just depends on you, how hard you work and the genes you were born with. It's going to help you - I'm impressed you've managed to lose all that you have without exercise. It makes me feel really good to exercise - both for stress relief and when I find I can do things I didn't think I could, like walk long distances, run up two flights of stairs without being winded or lifting something heavy.

I don't know what sort of access you have to a gym or other facilities, but I really like taking classes in aerobics and yoga - classes are good for beginners. I have a gym at works that's very cheap and we have a trainer available for use.

If you don't have access, you can always go for a walk, and start working in running breaks, then check out some workout DVDs from the library to get you started. Soup cans can work as weights, especially in the beginning.

Just remember - slow and steady wins the race, and that it's better to exercise than not. If you stick with it, you'll feel better and see results. I just don't know how quickly. Good luck!
Old 11-17-2010, 09:13 AM   #9  
Calorie counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalx4 View Post
does it take a long time to see the benefits from exercise? I must admit, I'm out of shape pretty bad- like I doubt I can run to the end of my street with dying. Where do I start with exercise- cardio or weight training first to see the greatest benefits. This is so sad, how clueless I really am. I tried the Gazelle for a while, but it was very short lived. I used to be in wicked shape when I was younger and attended lots of judo.jiu jitsu classes, you would think I would know where to begin, but I really am lost
The body adjusts to exercise really easily, almost too easily. That's why you'll read to change things up often. You'll find yourself getting into a routine and then results stop because the body has become used to the routine and has adapted to it. Today you can't run to the end of the street, but if you run half way today and again two more times this week, by next week you will be able to run to the end of the street.

Start wherever you are. If it's running, head out with a stop watch or just a regular watch. Give yourself a set time that you will run, like two minutes. (That can be a long time!) Then walk for two minutes. Can you run another two minutes? Walk another two minutes? Repeat this pattern maybe three times in a week. The following week increase the intervals to 2:30 minutes. There's a program called Couch to 5K (or C25K) you can google or find information about on this site. It goes a little fast, in my opinion, but you can modify it.

As for starting with weights or cardio, I say start with both. I like to do cardio M/W/F and weights T/TH. Sometimes I'll throw cardio in a "weights" day too. You'll see yourself build in strength and endurance in a much more linear fashion than the results you get with weight loss.

I don't know how fast you'll see results on your body because I've had to wait for the fat to melt off to see the results. But I bet you'll see the results in a month. I suggest you take starting pictures, give it six weeks and then take pictures again. I would be highly motivated to really build up some strength and endurance in that six week time frame.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:58 AM   #10  

Thanks for all the advice so far. I like the idea of starting with the pictures first. I would not have thought of doing short bursts like that of 2 minutes running,then walking, or whatever I can handle to begin with. I have to admit, I'm scared to start-it's all out of my realm now lol. How does everyone initially get motivated and stay motivated, especially when we're all busy? Or when it's cold and rainy out?? I really appreciate all the responses!
Old 11-17-2010, 09:59 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerChemist View Post
You'll lose fat and gain muscle, which doesn't take up as much space as fat for the same amount of weight. So you'll weigh the same (or more!) and look much smaller.
This.An old boss of mine lifted weights,worked out hard,but she was this tiny little thing.She asked me once what I thought she weighed.While she may have looked like she weighed no more then 120-125 on a 5'7" frame,I answered 135...and I was close.She was 139 and the ONLY reason I guessed high,was because I knew how she worked out.
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:43 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Body fat and muscle mass are interesting.

Here's a picture of two women @ 15% body fat. One is a competitive figure competitor (btw this would take about 10 years of weight training to achieve), compared to a girl with very little muscle mass.

They are both 15% (very low body fat) but the one on the left (the figure competitor) is probably at least 15-20lbs heavier. I think your doctor is suggesting finding a happy medium in terms of gaining muscle, which will help you look and feel better, but also improve your health.

sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:39 PM   #13  

Quote:
How does everyone initially get motivated and stay motivated, especially when we're all busy? Or when it's cold and rainy out?? I really appreciate all the responses!
Now, I just do it and I'm addicted. I see results and feel sexy, which is a new feeling for me. It's still hard when it's cold and crummy out, but 99.9% of the time I am glad I went and feel better after. An exercise buddy can help - I walk with a co-worker at lunch time for about 30-40 minutes. We just chit chat and walk and I don't even notice that we exercised.

Many running stores have fun runs and walks a couple times a week and intro programs. The fun runs and walks don't have a fee, so you just meet up and go for a walk. It ends up being a good way to meet people (who may want to be your walking buddy), and we are in all shapes and sizes in different stages of exercise so most everyone should feel comfortable.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:01 PM   #14  

Even if I got down to 15% body fat, I'll never look like either photo, I'm sure. Currently, my body fat % is around 23%, which isn't terrible I know, BUT it looks like I have so much more. Will exercise really make that go away?????? Like when I say I can grab more than two handfuls of fat off of my belly alone, that's without tugging or pulling, that's what is just there
Old 11-17-2010, 02:13 PM   #15  
Calorie counter

Quote:
Even if I got down to 15% body fat, I'll never look like either photo, I'm sure. Currently, my body fat % is around 23%, which isn't terrible I know, BUT it looks like I have so much more. Will exercise really make that go away?????? Like when I say I can grab more than two handfuls of fat off of my belly alone, that's without tugging or pulling, that's what is just there
Are you sure it's fat and not saggy skin?