Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-16-2010, 01:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 198.4/145/145

Height: 5'5

Unhappy From yay to ugh within minutes

I don't have anyone to talk to about this so I'm going to vent/cry to you all. Lately, I've been feeling so good and proud of myself about my weight/fitness level. My original goal was 160. I'm at 155 (will probably stop at 150 because I have to keep my curves ). I'm comfortable and feel good about my body. When I started I was wearing tight size 16 pants. I wasn't sure where I'm at now so today I went to Walmart to try on different sizes. Most of the people here I see around my height and weight are wearing 10s. I hoped I'd be there but didn't really think I would because I have the biggest hips in America. I fit size 12. I'm glad about that but at the same time I'm kind of disappointed because I'd like to be size 10 at goal and I feel like I'll always have to buy large pants because of these damn hips. It's amazing how I went from feeling so good this morning to blah after trying on the pants. Anyhow, I just needed to vent. I feel a little better now that I've got it out.
pink sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:32 PM   #2  
Happy Member

Don't be so disappointed in yourself. You have done a great job in losing the weight, and that is something to be proud of.

Very few people have the absolutely perfect body that we all dream of. Wish we all did, but we don't.

Enjoy what you have accomplished.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:39 PM   #3  
Joie de Vivre!!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

A size 12 is great! And you know, sizes are so inconsistent anyway you can't let yourself feel bad because you didn't get into a certain one. (And it's possible that was one of the smaller-closer-to-a-10 size twelves, did you try on other brands and styles?) And at so close to goal five pounds can make a big difference, too.

I bet you look awesome in those 12s, and you should be proud. Everyone's body is built differently and there is no "correct" number, be it weight or jeans. I know for me it's my huuuuuge thighs that are the problem, and I'm pretty certain they're always going to be a little bit of a problem cause that just happens to be where my body likes to store fat. Jeans that fit my legs always gape terribly at the hips, so I'm usually a size larger than I would be if my legs would agree with the rest of my body.
TheBunneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #4  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

The sizes vary GREATLY even within one size - try on 10s at Old Navy and they'll probably be too big for you. Or take in multiple size 10s there and a few will probably fit - they can vary a lot. I never used to take more than one pair in one size, but not any more. Some are unzippable and others glide right up - same size, same pants. Who knows why. Don't get down on a number - be proud of what you've done!!
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #5  

Awww, thanks, you guys! I'm trying not to let it get to me too much. TheBunneh, I know exactly what you mean. I don't think these hips are going anywhere. If I fit pants in the hips, there's a huge gap in the waist.

I did try a few different brands. Some of the 12s were kind of snug, others were loose. But I think it's safe to say I'm in a 12 (at least at Walmart). But the good news of the day is I fit into a medium coat!
Old 11-16-2010, 01:57 PM   #6  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Size is just an arbitrary number. If you like the way you look, who cares what number some clothing manufacturer assigns to it?

It's really pointless to let yourself get depressed because your hips fall into some arbitrary category that one clothing manufacturer has decided to call "12".

Off-the-rack clothes will never fit everyone, even if everyone were slim and fit. We all have different waist-to-hip ratios, different waist lengths, different bust sizes, different limb lengths, and on and on. You might fit another manufacturer's 10 - or you might not. Who cares? Your body is the same shape no matter what number gets assigned to it.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #7  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Walmart is terrible for clothes. I find tremendous variation from huge to tight in one size. I think their pants run big and square and I think their active wear runs tiny. Don't feel bad about where you are in their sizes at all.

If you want, just from home, you can take some measurements and then play around with size charts online. I did this one day. "Oooh, I wear a size __ at the Gap and a size __ at Talbot and..." It was a good day.

Last edited by Eliana; 11-16-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:20 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Everyone's body is different! I'm 5'3", weigh 150 and wear a 12 petite right now. I am hoping to fit into a 10 petite when I get to goal, but I'm not going to let it bother me if that doesn't happen. Anything is better than an 18 or 20.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #9  

Eliana, I'm about to do that right now!! Thanks!
Old 11-16-2010, 02:43 PM   #10  

Wow! Going by my measurements, I'm at size 10 at both The Gap and Old Navy! So I'm going to push Walmart out of my head! Thanks again, Eliana!
Old 11-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #11  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink sparkle View Post
Wow! Going by my measurements, I'm at size 10 at both The Gap and Old Navy! So I'm going to push Walmart out of my head! Thanks again, Eliana!
Hehe...

Title change: "From yah to ugh to yay within minutes".
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:08 PM   #12  
Joie de Vivre!!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink sparkle View Post
Yay for you!
TheBunneh is offline   Reply With Quote