Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 248/145/130

Height: 5 '6

Unhappy Bummed

I recently lost a few pounds after starting a new diet and exercise plan. I weigh 236, and I am consuming around 1800-2000 calories and exercising 1-2 hours daily. I started with 6 days a week, but now I am up to 7 days because I am not seeing results. I also log my steps with a pedometer (not my aerobics) and try for 10,000 steps daily (I get it about every couple of days).

The problem is, last week I gained .5 pounds, and this week I only lost .2 pounds. That is "point 2" pounds! That isn't even half a pound. I know our weight can fluctuate, but it is really depressing. I decided not to weigh in again until December, but if I don't drop at that point I am not sure what I will do!!!!

Old 11-16-2010, 10:44 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

When you say "around" 1800 to 2000 calories, how are you tracking them?

I ask because many people try keeping a "guesstimate" in their heads, and sometimes that's an underestimate. Food has to be weighed, measured, or otherwise looked up, such as from a nutrition label that gives serving size or an online menu listing for restaurants.

Or, people don't count all the foods they eat. They may leave out "small" servings, BLTs (bites, licks, tastes) or not count fruit, or do some other skipping of calories.

Not saying you are doing this--just curious.

Jay
Old 11-16-2010, 10:49 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hmm, that is interesting..

I too am wondering - are you tracking each and every bite. lick, taste, drop, morsel, crumb, sip and dollop that's going in your mouth? Are your portions correct? In other words is there anyway that you're counting 4 oz of chicken and it's really 6 or 7? ARe your measurements spot on? Is there any way what so ever that you're underestimating your calories?
Old 11-16-2010, 10:53 AM   #4  
Food Can Eat Me =p

S/C/G: 345/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 6.5"

Also, if your exercising consists of weight training, you will gain muscle (and pounds) but you will lose inches. Sometimes the scale isn't the best measure of your progress.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:08 AM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I agree with all up thread.

I particularly want to weigh in on the exercise. Exercise makes the scale go completely wonky for me. The harder I work, the more it gains or sticks. If I make too many changes too soon that's a sure fire way to get that scale to stick. I exercise for my heart, not for weight loss. And to reward me, my body drops inches. Sometimes those inches come off in strange places (fingers, wrists, ankles), and I have to track it down. LOL! But it comes off.

Patience above all else has been key for me. That scale is only a tool and not a very good one. It does not accurately measure what you are doing. Any time you are sore you could be holding on to as much as 2 pounds of water which your body uses for repair. Too much salt for dinner? More water weight. Are you feeling a bit ill? I often think my body stores fat during times that I am not feeling 100%.

Last edited by Eliana; 11-16-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:26 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

It can really take several weeks before you notice any trend. For me, I give anything 4-6 weeks before I decide it isn't working. The human body is not linear like a ruler.

Although if she just started weight training, it is not muscle weight - it will be retained water weight. Either way, it's not fat.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:31 AM   #7  
Bear Down..Lost 38 in '10

S/C/G: 260.0/219.4/113.0

Height: 5'

Can I just say you all are awesome on here! I love to read the advice and info that everyone responds with. Thanks to all on 3FC for being so great!
Old 11-16-2010, 11:33 AM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ive Had Enough View Post
Also, if your exercising consists of weight training, you will gain muscle (and pounds) but you will lose inches. Sometimes the scale isn't the best measure of your progress.
Well, unfortunately it takes a good few months of hard core strength training for women to gain muscle, so I don't think that's the issue here.

The OP mentioned around 2000 calories, and if it's more than that (& I by no means am saying that it is), it could be just too high of a calorie intake. You can't out exercise taking in too many calories.

It was also rightly pointed out that exercise can play havoc with pounds, but this is really early on. Creating a calorie deficit *should be* fairly simple to achieve by sticking to the correct number. The key is finding that number.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:39 AM   #9  

BTW OP you have lost 12lbs so far. How long have you been at it?
Old 11-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #10  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

How many calories are you burning when you exercise? What are you doing for exercise?
Old 11-16-2010, 11:46 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 248/145/130

Height: 5 '6

You know posting this has bummed me out even more than I already was by the scales. When someone is already depressed because they work extremely hard, and others ask them "are you REALLY working as hard as you should be?" it can make that person feel like the problem is with them. I have thought about cutting my calories down to 1200-1400. I am not sure if that is healthy to do while exercising 2 hours a day, but that seems like the advice I am getting here.

It really irritates me when people ask me if I am counting calories properly. I am counting calories correctly. I am also pretty sure that burning around 600-1100 calories a day with exercise, eating a lot less, and eating a lot healthier WILL create a calorie deficit. I went from eating calorie-laden fast food, with extra large portions, and rich calorie soaked desserts, nearly every night, to eating healthy 200-450 calorie portions 5-6 times daily. I literally used to eat whatever I wanted whenever I wanted it. Believe me, when I tell you I am dieting AND exercising, I am. I happen to have a graduate degree, so I am not the average moron off the street who knows nothing about counting calories, dieting in general, or exercise. I am also honest with myself and know why I got fat in the first place.

I am very dedicated and determined. I don't snack and I MEASURE portions. But, I guess unless you are right here with me you can't see that, so you just have to take my word for it.

Beerab, I am walking 4-5 miles a day, doing 1 hour sometimes and hour and 20 minutes of fat burning or dance aerobics, and 10-30 minutes of pilates or free weights. It depends on the day, but I usually log between 1 1/2-2 hours of exercise. I have NEVER had this problem before. I have lost weight dieting and exercising. This is the first time that I have ever seen the scale do this!

Sacha, I have been at it for almost 6 weeks now (I dropped 12 pounds the first 4 weeks), though I have steadily increased the exercise over that time period.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:54 PM   #12  

Okay, so it has been 2 week since you've been unhappy with the change. A couple of thoughts:
- Increased exercise = water retention (probable)
- A little stall for X reason

I think giving it until December is a good idea (then it will be 4-6 weeks after dropping that first amount of weight). From there, I'm not sure where you want to go, but perhaps dropping 100-200 calories. But I think waiting until December is best and then "cross that bridge when you get there".

These hiccups do happen and they are irritating, but patience + wait it out.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:05 AM   #13  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 197/ticker/136

Height: 1.65m

Othere than your overall calorie allowance each day do you have other nutrition goals such as % calories from fat, protein and carbs? If not then you may benefit from getting a different kind of calories, and particularly tailoring your calories to the different activities, making sure to eat your carbs before working out and protein afterwards to encourage muscle repair and discourage your body from using post-workout carbs to replenish the very stores you are trying to burn up. Different bodies welcome a different kind of routine, but if you eat a large number of your calories from one food group it may help to shift that so you eat more of your calories from different types of foods.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:54 AM   #14  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Shelleymarie, I understand your frustration (although there's a 'but' coming).
When I was doing a British low carb diet, I got very distressed because the weight just wasn't coming off and I ate to the letter. Others on that forum kept asking me if I was doing this or that and it drove me to rage and tears because I was, and it wasn't working.
but
It really isn't people picking on you for people to suggest once that maybe you're underestimating your calories. It's very easily done, and if you say you're eating 'around' something, then, as you asked for advice, one legitimate response is to ask how approximate 'around' is.

12lbs in 4 weeks is great. 0lbs in the next 2 is miserable. However, you have to allow for the shock to the system your body felt at 12 in 4. It's in 'What's going on?' mode, and probably holding onto water to try and keep its weight up. Our bodies are programmed to hold onto weight for survival reasons.

If you keep on doing what you're doing, 1 of 2 things will happen:
either your body will relax, realize that famine hasn't struck and let go the water
or
it won't, and the answer will be to drop 100 calories and try again.

Weightloss really is about trial and error, for graduates or 'morons off the street'.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:07 AM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
It really irritates me when people ask me if I am counting calories properly. I am counting calories correctly. I am also pretty sure that burning around 600-1100 calories a day with exercise, eating a lot less, and eating a lot healthier WILL create a calorie deficit. I went from eating calorie-laden fast food, with extra large portions, and rich calorie soaked desserts, nearly every night, to eating healthy 200-450 calorie portions 5-6 times daily. I literally used to eat whatever I wanted whenever I wanted it. Believe me, when I tell you I am dieting AND exercising, I am. I happen to have a graduate degree, so I am not the average moron off the street who knows nothing about counting calories, dieting in general, or exercise. I am also honest with myself and know why I got fat in the first place.
You asked a question on the internet and did not give the whole picture as it's almost impossible to do that. Because like you said, we are most definitely not standing next to you.

You would be shocked to find out how many people underestimate their calories - and they are most definitely not morons. When you stated that you eat *around* so and so calories, that most definitely did not make it clear as to how many calories you are actually taking in. Since you've stalled and asked for help, that would be the first place to ask.

Yes, you've most definitely cut back on your food intake, but sometimes that is still not enough to create a calorie deficit. Perhaps that's enough to maintain your current weight, given the results you've gotten, but again, sometimes it's not enough to create that all important calorie deficit.

Many folks have also mentioned just waiting it out, which is of course an option. You'd get more data and more time to see the results and then you can re-asses your calorie intake, if you like.

We are not doctors, genies, fortune tellers, psychic readers or nutritionists. We're just regular folks who are sharing what we know based on the limited info we've gotten and our experiences.

Perhaps you'd like to seek out the advice from a dietitian or a nutritionist. Maybe they'd have better answers for you.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 11-17-2010 at 06:09 AM.
Closed Thread