Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-14-2010, 01:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/240

Height: 5' 7"

Default Can Big Girls SPIN? (bicycle)

I was just wondering are there any big girls (over 200 lbs) out there that take a spinning class.

How is it? They have spinning at my gym but somehow I don't think it would be a good idea. I just picture me being embarrassed to death.

In other classes you can walk out before the end and it doesn't seem like a big deal.......... I just don't know......... wouldn't mind trying it.
2feelbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 302/199/180

Height: 5' 6"

In my gym I haven't seen many other people over 200 taking spin, however I think in a lot of ways spin is an ideal class to try. I myself started spin when I was over 200 (and I'm still pretty close to that). The class will push you, but ultimately you can go at your own pace. Your sprint might be slower than the person next to you, but that doesn't matter one bit, since you're both on stationary bikes. So, I say give it a try!
Desert Agave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250+/176/149

Height: 5'7"

Go for it! Spin is a great choice for all fitness levels because, as said above, you get to determine how fast you sprint, how hard your make your climbs, etc. You don't need to walk out, just sit down and spin with lower resistance if you feel like you aren't keeping up. No one will notice . . . seriously. They'll all be busy sweating their b*tts off!

Go a few minutes early your first time and let the instructor know you're a newbie. She'll get you set up, show you how the bikes work, etc.
hhichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:33 PM   #4  

Thank you both
Old 11-14-2010, 03:37 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 250+/176/149

Height: 5'7"

You might want to ask at the desk (any of the gym staff) for a recommendation for a spin class/instructor for a newbie. Some classes/instructors are more intense than others and some are better suited for a newbies.
hhichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:07 PM   #6  
Yo-Yo

S/C/G: 130/129/100

Height: 5'3"

I don't know how helpful this is to you, especially because I was never at your current weight and I have never seen anyone at that weight exercise at my gym, but I'll give my two cents.

I do not often attend classes so when I do, I'm the novice. I usually lag a little behind, ask questions, and use the lighter/lightest weights and resistances. For the most part, aside from the trainer and anyone I use as a mirror, I do not pay much mind to anyone else in the class. As far as looking out of place or being that lone big girl, I highly doubt anyone will be thinking poorly of your or paying that much attention to you. If anything, the trainer might be glad you showed up; their classes are contingent upon the number of people who show up. Spinning is a great way to burn many calories while working everything but your arms (sadly). Go for it! We're all novices at some point.
downerbeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:09 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by downerbeautiful View Post
s far as looking out of place or being that lone big girl, I highly doubt anyone will be thinking poorly of your or paying that much attention to you. If anything, the trainer might be glad you showed up; their classes are contingent upon the number of people who show up.
That's how I felt when I went to Zumba. No one judges and everyone is doing their own thing just having fun, MOVING, and trying to keep up.

Now, there is a older gentlemen in the class and he's right up front. Mind you he moves better then I do. I would say he's in his 70's.

I would take more Zumba classes but because of my bad knees I just can't
Old 11-14-2010, 07:08 PM   #8  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

Damn straight girl!

Spinning is an amazing workout. Super high, and calorie burning! I almost died after taking my first spinning class, but you build up over time. I couldn't even walk after the first class for a week! It is certainly doable though over 200.
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:09 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 210/133/120

Height: 5'2"

Spin is how I lost my first 30 pounds. Went to 60 minute class 3 days a week, the weight just melted off in about 6 weeks. Spin is AMAZING. I highly recommend it as a good non weight bearing workout easy on the knees.
runhellokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:11 PM   #10  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I can't recommend spinning highly enough for anyone!! People of all sizes spin at my classes. I've been to several! It can be as hard as you want it to be or as light as you need it to be. The instructor is just there to guide you. They want you at YOUR max, whatever that might be.

You will hurt the first few weeks. Especially the rear end. Also it works major muscle groups in the legs that may talk to you for a while. When I first started my upper body also ached tremendously, so it must do something with the upper body. I think it must work the core because it was hard to sit upright those first few weeks.

It is THE best workout! I started at 235 pounds, no problem. My best friend started at 265 pounds, also no problem. We're both avid spinners and we've both lost 80 pounds.

Last edited by Eliana; 11-15-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:09 PM   #11  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

I love Spin Class. I've found that the more tired I am when I exercise, the more uncoordinated and clumsy I get. Fortunately, with spin, it doesn't require rhythm and coordination.

And Eliana is right...you will be sore at least the first few days. If you sit far enough back on the seat, you might not have the butt soreness, but your legs will be tight for a while until you get used to it.

I say go for it!
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:50 PM   #12  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedmustang View Post
I love Spin Class. I've found that the more tired I am when I exercise, the more uncoordinated and clumsy I get. Fortunately, with spin, it doesn't require rhythm and coordination.
I can't do math when I work really hard! LOL! Like at all!! When I run I can not figure out how many miles I have left or how many minutes or anything related to numbers. I love spinning because there are no numbers and the instructor tells me when to stop!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote