Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-15-2010, 09:02 AM   #1  
Beginner

S/C/G: 252/242/175

Height: 5' 6"

Unhappy Weight Loss Newbie

Hello Everyone,

So glad to have found a website like this. I have read many posts over the past few weeks and I must say that you all are very encouraging. I will be 30 on December 9 and finally found my first real job since graduating college in May! I have seriously made my mind up to get control of my weight and overall health. Right now I weigh 249lbs and I am 5'6". My goal is 175lbs. I have always been very photogenic, but now I hate for anyone to take a picture of me because I look horrible. I have 4 children the first two were twins and my stomach looks horrible.

I had planned to start yesterday counting calories and doing an intense workout in the early AM and again in the PM. Needless to say it didn't work that way. This mornings workout was also a fail, but I did commit to the planned breakfast and will try to make up the for the lost exercise. My biggest problem is sticking to my plan.

I decided to try 1700 calories a day. Not sure if that is ideal or not. Also not sure of how much weight or inches I should lose weekly or monthly. I am in desperate need of support. Any advice or words of encouragement are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
thenew30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:57 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello and

This is a great place for all kinds of support and information.

If you have problems sticking to a plan then maybe instead of drastically changing everything at once you might consider making changes in gradual steps. Start eating healthier and calorie counting then, in a few weeks, add in the exercise?

Also, listen to your body - if morning workouts don't work for you then you're more likely to forgo them and then feel bad for "skipping" your planned workout. Maybe you're someone who needs to exercise in the afternoon or evening?

In any case this is a lifestyle change and no one formula works for everyone so don't be afraid to play around and see what works best for you! Good luck!
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:38 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 199.2/196.8/168

Height: 5'11"

Hey There,
I'm new, too - not to weight loss and dieting, but to the site. Congrats on landing a job, and on your initial weight loss.
I have three kids, and I know it's pretty hard to balance it all. We're expected to be the best parent, the best employee, make healthy meals from scratch, and get our workouts in! I'm tired just thinking about it. I agree with Sunshine, though, that perhaps intense workouts and completely revamping your diet might be a bit much to start.
I think baby steps are highly motivating - drink more water, eliminate one unhealthy food from your diet, get ten minutes of exercise in. Do one or two of these things for a week, then add another. Soon, they'll just become part of your daily routine.
I think the biggest thing is to not beat yourself up if things don't go exactly as planned. You have four children, and life never goes according to plan with kids. If you don't get a complete workout in, don't let your mind trick you into believing that you might as well eat a candy bar because of it
I think 1700 calories per day sounds reasonable. If you go too low, you'll be hungry. Just make sure your calories are as nutritionally dense as possible. Usually 1-2 pounds per week is a safe bet for losing. Some people initially lose a lot more, then slow down during the process. As you increase your activity and lose some weight, you might have to readjust your calories. You'll figure it out, it might take some trial and error, but you sound like you have a very strong desire to do it! Love who you are right now, too - when you do lose weight, you'll still be the same person
losinlish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:04 AM   #4  
Beginner

S/C/G: 252/242/175

Height: 5' 6"

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for all the suggestions. I took your advice Losinlish, and this mornings weigh in was great. I am 242.8 today. Hooray!!! It has been hard counting calories, but I stuck to it. The new job is great and they even have a gym and showers. I am more motivated to be healthy than I have ever been. Stay tuned........
thenew30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:23 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

This is great news!

Use this as motivation to stick to your plan like glue! Clearly if something is working, keep on with it!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote