Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-13-2010, 05:53 PM   #1  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

Default How do you take measurements properly?

I wonder if there is a correct way to take measurements, specifically around the waist? I have been measuring off and on through my weight loss journey but I usually end up doubting if the measurements I am taking are correct or not. It seems like there are a lot of variables when it comes to a proper waist measurement like how tight the tape measure is pulled, posture and sucking in. I usually pull the tape just a bit and stand up straight but I imagine my measurement is off by an inch or so depending on how tight the tape is held. I usually measure straight across my bellybutton as that seems like the smallest part. I still have a little roll above and below my midsection.
How to you measure and what is the best way so I can eliminate some variables and get a correct number each time?

Thanks for the help
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:20 PM   #2  
Funsized Fiesta

S/C/G: 230/144.5/130

Height: 5'4"

Here's a picture of where the bust-waist-hip measurements should be taken: http://www.alexon.co.uk/images/measure_guide.jpg

The waist measurement is the middle one. The hip measurement is a little off in the picture, but you were asking for waist haha. If you're measuring where your belly button is, that's more the hip measurement, not the waist measurement, and you need to measure at the largest part of your hips, not the smallest.

Last edited by KenzideRhae; 11-13-2010 at 06:20 PM.
KenzideRhae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

The best way is to find a freckle and use it every time. LOL! That's what I do. For record keeping, what matters most is consistency.

As for measuring for clothing, I have no idea. I'm bad about the waist and the hips. Proper "hip" measurement for me seems more like my butt, not my hips. My hip bones are a lot higher than where I think my hips must actually be.

Dr. Oz wants us to have a waist size of 32 or smaller and he allows for sucking in. I do not suck in, but that's just me. And I like to pull the tape pretty tight only because that way I can't second guess the way I do it each time. If I'm always pulling really tight then it's the same every time.

Last edited by Eliana; 11-13-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #4  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

I bought a measuring tape like this one

http://www.amazon.com/AccuFitness-MT...9691565&sr=1-2

for about $5. You wrap it around the body/body part, then press the button - at least this way I know I'm always "pulling" exactly the same degree of tautness...
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

I have trouble deciding where my waist is: if it is really the narrowest part of your torso, mine is very, very high--right under my ribcage, and a good 6-7 inches above my navel (though my navel is saggy these days). I think that means I am very short-waisted, though I didn't know that until I started all this.

As far as "how tight", one thing I do is go out half an inch looser. If that is clearly "too big", so then I feel better about assuming the original is not too tight.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:23 AM   #6  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

Thank for the help I tried measuring up higher on my waist like the chart shows and I measured 32.5" instead of 34.5" That was a bonus LOL. I think I might get one of those tape measures with the handle. They look handy to have. I have them used on the last 10 pounds boot camp show as well.

Thanks again
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote