Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 11:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 344.4/344.4/175

Default Newbie!

Hi everyone.. I just wanted to introduce myself.. I've been lurking for well over a week and thought it was time.. My name is Liz, i'm 29, live in Iowa... I've been overweight my whole life.. In fact, I don't know what its like to "not" be overweight... I'm finally getting my life in order, finished college, saving for a house (hoping to buy this fall) and it just seems to be the "right" time to get my weight in order too.. I'm at my all time high weight.. Over 350, not sure how far over as the doctors scale doesn't go any higher than that. I started watching my calories/fat 17 days ago.. Its also been 17 days since i've had any chocolate/candy/fast food. I've gone out to eat a couple of times, but have been limiting my portions.. I'm trying to stay between 1700 and 2000 calories a day, stay away from sugar, flower, all the white stuff basically.

Any encourgement or ideas anyone can give me to stay on track would be appreciated.. I go to the doctor on May 1st for my depo shot, so i'm going to have them weigh me then.. I'm hoping (praying) that i'll be under 350 by then so I can atleast weigh myself from now on...

Anyways, I'm not really have any problem on watching my food and portion control, i'm having more of an issue with getting motivated enough to exercise.. Heck, not even exercise, taking the dogs for a walk.. I'm currently working a part time job in addition to my fulltime one, so i'm hoping when that's over in 3 weeks i'll be more motivated to get out and walk..

Well, enough about me.. I just wanted to introduce myself.. Thanks.
Liz
Old 03-27-2003, 12:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Hi--good to meet you.

I've been having lots of fun with fitday.com, which is a free program. It tracks your exercise, food, goals, etc. I've been enjoying that and find it helps keep me on a good path.

As far as exercise motivation, I think it's Nike that says "Just do it." I think it's a mental thing--you just have to start getting out there even for just a few minutes. Once you start, it's a lot easier to keep on going. Right now with all you have going on, you might want to just do things like park further away and walk, walk up stairs, and walk during your breaks. That kind of stuff adds up!
Old 03-27-2003, 01:10 PM   #3  

Hello and welcome. My journey only began March 5th so I too am a newbie and can tell you that this is a wonderful place for motivation and support!

Regarding exercise -- that was also my toughest challenge so I made a conscious effort to do things that I truly enjoy. I started with bellydancing videos because I thought that would be fun -- and it is. I sometimes just turn on an old Madonna CD and dance for 30 minutes to an hour. SOmetimes I dance for a few minutes and go up and down my first stair for a few minuites until I've been at it 30-60 minutes. Now that it is warming up, I bike ride everywhere. I also do yoga daily. My point is that you have to find activities you can enjoy in order to stick with it.

Also, remind yourself that ... one month from now, you can still be where you are...or you can be fitter.

Good luck!

Peace,
Paula
Old 03-27-2003, 02:05 PM   #4  

Welcome hope you like our group here
Old 03-27-2003, 02:06 PM   #5  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Hey Liz!

Welcome..
give yourself a bit of time with the exercise.. you are only 17 days into it. Make changes slow - that way you will give them longer. I know you want it all off now (we all do!!) - but give it time. Start off doing small stuff - limit how much tv/computer time you have. If you are not sitting you are burning more calories.

Do you like the depo shots?
I was on them for a year and I was super bit$h - had to get off!! Now I'm back on the crappy pill. - I hardly ever take them - this month I'm already over a week behind.

anyhow..
join us in your weekly weigh in if you feel comfortable.

Dana
Old 03-27-2003, 02:14 PM   #6  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Welcome Liz!! I am so glad you found us. Many of here calorie count and your range sounds like you are right on track.

I think everyone has given you great advice abut the exercise. I recently joined curves and I love it!!

Please feel free to jumo in on any of our threads!!
Old 03-27-2003, 02:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 344.4/344.4/175

Default I LOVE the depo shots!

Dana...

I absolutely love the depo shots.. I've been on them for almost 3 years now and I swear, if I could give them to myself at home, I would. The nurse says I don't even flinch anymore when she pokes me.

I've had really bad problems in the past, and this is the only thing that seems to work for me now.. Of course there are the side effects, moodiness, weight gain, and the most terrible take your breath away cramps I've ever had in my life.. The moodiness only lasted about the first six months I was on it though.. But oh my gosh, for about 2 weeks after every time I got it, you didn't even want to look at me crosseyed.. I'd either go off on you as a complete and total b*tch or I'd break down crying.. It was terrible.. It was only after my third shot that I found out the first time I got the shot, the doctor gave me a double dose to clear up the problems immediately.. I was like well sheesh, you could have warned me that it was going to totally whack out my hormones...

I'm trying to ease into the exercise thing... As far as using fitday.com, I tried it.. I just hate writing down everything I eat every day.. So what I did, was go in and look up the calories/fat of all the things that we have in our fridge on a daily basis.. That way no matter what combination of foods I eat, I have some idea of how many calories are in them.....

My treat right now is a peanut butter & jelly sandwich every day at 10:00am.. that used to by my candy bar time.. So I decided that the PB&J was much better than a candy bar...

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Liz
Old 03-27-2003, 05:28 PM   #8  

Hi Liz, exercise is a tuff one. I found that I had to make it part of my daily schedule or I would make excuses not to do it. I try to walk at least 30 min. on the treadmill everyday. I listen to books on tape from the library to keep from being bored and I only let myself listen to a book when I'm walking. That way when I'm really into a good book I'm highly motivated to get my walk in. I also lift small weights and work on my abs, but nothing major. I also recommend morning workouts if you can fit them into your schedule, they're the best!! However you do it, just make sure you find what works best for you and stick with it.

Welcome to the group and please feel free to talk about whatever is on your mind, we're all here to help!

Beverly
Old 03-27-2003, 07:07 PM   #9  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Welcome!

As far as not being able to weigh yourself, you can still take your measurements.
Old 03-27-2003, 07:44 PM   #10  

Hi Liz,

Welcome! Everyone here is very supportive. Please post often! You're doing wonderful on your journey so far. Seventeen days without any junk is fantastic!!!!

Take care,
Sherry
Old 03-27-2003, 08:47 PM   #11  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Welcome, Liz! Everyone's already given you fantastic advice re: exercise, so I guess I will just say hello and keep posting!
Old 03-27-2003, 10:00 PM   #12  

Welcome and I hope you like it here. I am struggling with the excercise thing myself. I just have to kick myself in the but and get moving. I did an abb workout just now and feel great. I plan on doing it in the morning as well. We'll see.

Anyway, good luck and I hope you like it here.

Bella23
Closed Thread