Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-13-2010, 09:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 208/141/120

Height: 5ft 4inch

Unhappy Slip up

I had a major slip up last night I feel so bad about it

I went to an old friends retirement party last night and i was drinking G&T's slimline I am not fussed about the drinking it what i ate
Everyone was really nice and and said how good i looked even after only losing 1/2 a stone so i was buzzing and had a really good time. but i would like you all to know my food shame it started like this

While i was out I ate
3 onion barji's (sorry bad spelling)
1 bacon spinich and bri bagette

When I got home
chicken currey and rice - I scoffed my husbands
ham scrambled eggs, mushroom and baked beans with 2 slices of bread

Drinks - 8 large G&T's

I feel so bad there was no need to eat all that crap when I got home I just lost all sef control
I am useless at dieting and feel really bad I am not going to weigh myself for a few days as i would be gutted if i have gained weight.

Any ideas on how to stop these feeding frenzies when they hit will be much welcome

Marie
marie81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:57 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

See, for me (and maybe you?), the drinking is what leads to the poor food choices. It inhibits decision making. I stick to a no alcohol rule and it's worked for me. A dozen wings and pizza is far more tempting after a couple of rums than to a sober mind.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:57 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

It happens ! Don't beat yourself up over it. Get back on track and move on.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:57 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Well... you say you're not fussed about the 8 large gin and tonics, but that might be a place to start anyway.

Alcohol is empty calories. No nutrition in it, but around 100 cals a drink, depending on what you're drinking.

Alcohol lowers inhibitions, so people often do things that they wouldn't consider if they were sober. This applies to everything ranging from unsafe sex to driving vehicles while drunk to eating down the house.

Alcohol impairs judgment, so that the choices one makes aren't the best. Caution gets thrown to the wind.

The best way to avoid that kind of feeding frenzy is to stop it before it gets started--by putting some limits in place. For example, no more than three drinks. Or two. Or even, no drinks at all. And looking at the food choices and making decisions about what you can eat and what you'd be better off skipping. And having your dinner plan already in mind so that you know what is OK to eat when you get home.

In other words, putting the brakes on the "party like there's no tomorrow" way of thinking.

Good luck! You can learn a lot from this!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:03 AM   #5  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I don't know about you, but when I drink, I have a much harder time not overeating.

It's helped me to quit thinking of it as "dieting" and more in terms of eating healthily, with longer term goals. those foods, like chicken curry, will always be there in abundance. I think: I can have them any time I want, but I'm choosing not to right now. Makes me feel less all or nothing. I think distracting myself helps too, being away from the food, doing something else, telling myself I only need to get through a couple of hours and that urge will be past.

Lastly, if it happens, I try to learn something about myself from it, think how I'll handle it the next time, and move on. You're definitely not "useless at the dieting," you just are adjusting to a new way of handling how you want to eat for your health.

wanted to add that as I've cut back on drinking, my tolerance has gone way down. I rarely have more than one or two glasses of anything. g&ts were a big favorite of mine.

Last edited by dragonwoman64; 11-13-2010 at 10:07 AM.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:27 AM   #6  

sit down and figure out how many calories it actually was. May not be as bad as you think. How you react today is going to have a lot more impact on how successful your diet is over all than what you ate last night.
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:30 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 208/141/120

Height: 5ft 4inch

your all right its the booze thats needs to go, last night was a one off as i only go out if its for a reason like retirement or birthdays, my dads 60th is comming up in 3 weeks its going to be hard not drinking on that night out

Well next week I have no excusses I am going to put alot more effort in to this as I am loving the weight coming of and want it more now
marie81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:33 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 145/126/115

Height: 5'1"

You're not useless at dieting! You just had a slip up and the best thing to do after one of those, is to get back right on plan and be as strict as you can. I personally believe that as you get further down the dieting road, the time between slip ups greatly increases. Keep at it! Don't let this derail you.
DexterMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:52 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie81 View Post
your all right its the booze thats needs to go, last night was a one off as i only go out if its for a reason like retirement or birthdays, my dads 60th is comming up in 3 weeks its going to be hard not drinking on that night out

Well next week I have no excusses I am going to put alot more effort in to this as I am loving the weight coming of and want it more now
It's hard but for some of us, it needs to go. There are plenty of people who can say, have a cigarette once in a while and stop when needed. Some people can have a drink or two and be fine, but some of us can't. After all, how many people can have a tub of ice cream sitting in their freezer for weeks? Lots ... but probably not many people on 3FC! We have to be honest with ourselves and be KIND to ourselves by admitting that "X" is a trigger for us and to eliminate it.

Good luck to you! I stick with diet 7up or diet pepsi with lime if others are drinking. I also pre-choose my meals (ie. I will have unlimited diet pepsi, a chicken burger with no sauce, and a side salad)
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:55 AM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
I am not going to weigh myself for a few days as i would be gutted if i have gained weight.
Getting on that scale every single day is pretty darn important, so that you can actually SEE the damage these episodes can do. No more keeping your head in the sand. Remain accountable to yourself. Knowing that you ahve to face that scale is a wonderful tool. Don't blow it off!!!!

Quote:
Any ideas on how to stop these feeding frenzies when they hit will be much welcome
See above - about getting on the scale and:

Set some boundaries for yourself. It's a party, a social event? Ummm, yea - so what. You've got to decide once and for all what it is you want MORE... The booze and the food that leaves you feeling horrible thereafter, or the wonderful feeling that you get from eating well and losing weight. You can't have it both ways. You will have to decide which is more important to you.

Quote:
my dads 60th is comming up in 3 weeks its going to be hard not drinking on that night out
Don't give yourself permission to veer off your plan so easily. It is hard - at first. And every single time you give in, you make it that much harder. You don't allow the good habits to get ingrained in you. When those good habits begin to get ingrained in you, this whole process is soooo much easier. You are also re-enforce the old bad habits - which makes this process soooo much more difficult.

Quote:
I got home I just lost all sef control
The control's not lost, you've got it. It's there. You just neglected to use it. Every time you opt to use the control, forcing yourself if need be, you strengthen it. And it makes it easier the next time and then you use it again and it gets easier the next time thereafter and so on and so on.

Sounds to me as if you are really enjoying losing the weight - remember that always. Keep that desire strong. Remember what you want the most. If booze needs to be stopped for now - so be it. Make this weight loss your job, your mission. Make it a top priority.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:00 AM   #11  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

we all have slip ups! it's in the past, don't stress over it, or worry about it, because you can't change what happened, but what will happen. Just keep moving forward with you diet, and let this be a reminder to you later on down the road when you get the urge to eat things you know you shouldn't. remember how you felt as you were writing this post.

I think out of sight out of mind works best for me. I pack my lunch for work, and i refuse to bring any money with me, so even if i do want a soda or cnady i can't buy it as i don't have any money on me.
prepare your meals ahead of time.
just ask yourself if feeling this way is worth eating all those bad foods. and when you do resist not eating, you'll feel so wonderful about yourself, and how accomplished you may feel.
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Alcohol does it for me too. I was trying to still drink and lose weight and that wasn't working because after a glass or two of wine, I could easily convince myself that eating this or that wasn't *that* bad and I could make up for it the next day (which never happened).

I saw a friend of mine who lost 70 pounds stop drinking because she didn't want the calories or the temptations and I realized I had to do the same thing.

If I am in a situation where I feel I have to drink (these really uncomfortable work dinner meetings) I will accept a glass of wine but I will also ask for a glass of water and drink the water instead of the wine.

But it's better not to drink at all for me.

Just get back on the horse today and start planning what you'll do for your dad's birthday.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote