Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 04:40 PM   #1  
Losin It For GOOD!

Default Fat Loss Vs. Muscle Gain

just wondering if anyone else is having a problem with this...

See... I weigh 250-something pounds (depending on the day).
I have about 34% body fat, which is mostly located in my stomach and my thighs (and my enormous chest).

anywho, I started going to Curves about a month ago, and haven't lost a tremendous amount of pounds or inches. I do see a difference, as if I flex I can really feel my arm muscles etc..

But you would think someone as heavy as me wouldn't have a matched fat loss vs. muscle gain.

It's very frustrating.

Anyone else struggling with this?
Old 03-25-2003, 05:29 PM   #2  

BA, I just want to say that it is good to see you in here again. I'm glad to know that you are doing well, and every once in a while you pop in to say hello.

I have never had that problem. But then again, I've never really committed to exercise. I have always lost my weight strictly by diet.
Old 03-25-2003, 06:19 PM   #3  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Hey BethAnne....here's how the muscle/fat thing works. Because weightlifting is not an aerobic exercise, you don't burn fat by the sheer act of lifting weights. What happens is you build muscle, which takes more calories to maintain. That's when the fat starts burning off.

I know that when I went to the gym religiously (every single day for almost three months), it took about six weeks for the fat burning to start. But once it did - watch out! It seemed to come off overnight!

Patience is the key. Hang in there! (And it's nice to see you back on the boards. )
Old 03-25-2003, 07:04 PM   #4  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Beth Anne!

I am going through the EXACT same thing right now! I've been lifting for a couple of weeks but NADA on the scale. It's so damn frustrating. But I do see a change, and that is what matters most.

I've started relying religiously on the measuring tape and I'd like to go in for mothly fat percentage checks but not sure if the Y does that.

Keep on lifting babe! When I get frustrated, I think about how many more calories I burn while sleeping compared to before.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:37 AM   #5  
Losin It For GOOD!

Thanks for all the advice girls - very interesting and definately things to think about.

I have noticed I've been considerably more sweaty when I wake up in the morning (and it doesn't have anything to do with fun between the sheets LOL).. so I think I must be burning more fat.

I just wish that the fat burning was happening faster.

Yeah, I am at a place in my life now that I'm ready to be back, and able to keep up with all of you guys, so I came back
Old 03-26-2003, 09:56 AM   #6  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Jeanne..
How much do you lift?

I just started with the weights last week. (On the personal program with the Y you start the weights on week 5)

I have my first weigh in tomorrow. We'll see.
I've been pretty much perfect (food wise) 6 out of the last 7 days.

how often do you all go to the gym? I go 3 days for sure - but I want to make it 4 days/week.
Old 03-26-2003, 02:48 PM   #7  
Gonna fly now!

S/C/G: 280/280/150

Height: 5'6

Welcome Back Beth Anne! Good to see ya back ~ always loved your inspirational posts and Dr. Phil stuff!!!

*smiles* irishwings
Old 03-27-2003, 08:54 AM   #8  
Searching

Beth here is my 2 cents. When you start weightlifting the scale become worthless. Since I started BFL I have only shown a 4 lb. loss. I have lost 6.75 inches though. I look so much better. You should see what I can do with my pecs ;-) So keep the faith lady, weightlifting works.

Miss Chris
Old 03-27-2003, 11:19 PM   #9  
Old Cackler

BA>.. i've been such a posting slug, but let me add to all the wisdom the other ladies have... well, maybe i can't add much, but finally, after two solid months of having lifted, only missing maybe 2 days the entire time, the scale has FINALLY moved. but i've lost a whole bunch of inches... and of course, i haven't kept track of any of them!!! but everything is a whole lot baggier!

i just keep chanting: a pound of muscle burns 50 calories a day; a pound of fat burns 0

and that keeps me going. i NEVER actually believed that this would do anything, but i was wrong. as i am in so many things [do you think my sister is reading this? she thinks i'm always right, or at least that i think i'm right....]
Old 03-30-2003, 11:34 AM   #10  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

Default muscle v fatburning

muscle is the most metabolically active tissue you can get. and there for take more calories to maintain. 1lb of fat takes up 4x as much space as 1lb of muscle. if your gonna lift the scales do become worthless unless your calculating body fat ratio's. i lost 100lb in the last 13 months i'm now 220 ish. i get weighed in every month the last few months i been gaining weight about 1 or 2lb a month but my waist is still shrinking. don't forget the amount of water your carry affects the scales so if you have a pint of water before you weigh in you will be about 1lb heavier just from water. stick to the measuring and use the scales every now and then. they should be a tool to assist you not a dictator to rule your life. lift diet and cardio all together will shrink you away in the blink of an eye. keep up the good work and remember tape measures are the way forward.
Old 03-30-2003, 11:41 AM   #11  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

Default muscle v fatburning

muscle is the most metabolically active tissue you can get. and there for take more calories to maintain. 1lb of fat takes up 4x as much space as 1lb of muscle. if your gonna lift the scales do become worthless unless your calculating body fat ratio's. i lost 100lb in the last 13 months i'm now 220 ish. i get weighed in every month the last few months i been gaining weight about 1 or 2lb a month but my waist is still shrinking. don't forget the amount of water your carry affects the scales so if you have a pint of water before you weigh in you will be about 1lb heavier just from water. stick to the measuring and use the scales every now and then. they should be a tool to assist you not a dictator to rule your life. lift diet and cardio all together will shrink you away in the blink of an eye. keep up the good work and remember tape measures are the way forward.
Closed Thread