Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 209.8/see ticker/155

Height: 5'11"

Default "Eat to Live" let me know what you think if you've tried it!

So i heard about this book through a friend, and read it about a year and a half ago. Thinking about jumping into the six week challenge, but would like to hear from any chicks who have done it, whether a good experience or not. Just want some feedback on this plan.
ma26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:31 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I like Eat to Live and it influences my eating but I never really followed it. I think it is good, emphasis on veggies and legumes with some fruit thrown in and then everything else is somewhat supplementary.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #3  

I feel it has influenced my way of eating since reading it. I really want to do his six week program. Which I have never done. Which is a litttle scary. I do believe I can do it, the difficulty will be getting the first few days. I want to set myself up properly to really be successful for the entire 6 weeks.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:45 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Well I should also say that it greatly influenced my eating but in terms of following it strictly, I never did.

2.5 years ago, I finished reading Eat to Live and the next day I gave up eating animal products. I just didn't stick to the regimen. I've been happy with my overall eating plan since though.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:49 PM   #5  

Thank you for the imput Nelie. You have been a well of good advice for me since I joined this forum
Old 07-09-2010, 02:26 PM   #6  
Determined

S/C/G: 188/ticker/120

Height: 5'4.5"

Default This my new way of eating and I am getting results

I also read "Eat to Live", but when I read his 2 "Eat for Health" volumes it dawned on me that it was so right for me.

For instance, he explains "toxic hunger", how it differs from "true hunger", and why if you eat only 3 meals per day (consisting of NO processed foods, sugar, salt, alcohol, grains, white potatoes; limit poultry and dairy....but LOTS of fruits, vegs, legumes and nuts/seeds) and make it through "withdrawl", you don't get hungry between meals! Plus, your body needs that time between digestion episodes to self-cleanse. I found it to be true and every day since I started it (late June 2010) I have lost weight, sometimes only 1/2# per day. But it's working for me.

If you're only up for reading one book make it the "Eat for Health - Book One"
Weight loss isn't the only benefit....superb health is foremost and your ideal weight will naturally follow.

Last edited by BabySteps21; 07-10-2010 at 04:32 AM.
BabySteps21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:46 PM   #7  
Fatty 2x4

S/C/G: 180/180 (boo..)/140 for now

Height: 5'5'

I want to read this book. Alanis Morissette did and she's been vegan ever since. My problem, though, is with carbs. I LOVE breads and potatoes But the good thing about veggies is that you can eat so many of them (this is what my mom says)
IndieSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:41 PM   #8  
Under His mercy

Height: 5'9"

I love this book and believe totally that you can change your health for the better by giving up (or limiting to 10% of your diet) animal protein. I think it is the way humans were meant to eat and I just don't know how anybody can argue against it.
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:36 PM   #9  
Me

S/C/G: 290/270/160

Height: 5'4"

I;m just starting the 6 week challenge! Very exciting!
kateaclysm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:05 PM   #10  

Height: 5'3"

I've read the book and it has helped me eat better recently. The closer I follow it the better I feel and the better my blood sugars are (diabetic). However I have not kept to it strictly though like he says for the first 6 weeks. I do it more like the lifetime plan and even that I do not do perfectly. But I agree it's a good way to eat.

ETA: He is so right about the tummy growling thing...when I eat more closely to how he instructs in his book, my tummy is much, much quieter! :-)

Last edited by maryea; 10-18-2010 at 06:06 PM.
maryea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #11  
Now Mom to 5

S/C/G: 250/ticker/170

Height: 5' 5"

I really Like Eat to Live. For awhile I followed the plan strictly but for me it does not work as a life time plan. However, the information I have gain from Dr. Fuhrman's books and member center have been wonderful. I learned that when I do have grains even whole grains I have a tendency to want more and more so now I focus on vegetables, beans, fruit, and seeds.

If you want to lose weight quickly the 6 week program is the way to go.
MomtoThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:49 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 158/151.7/138

Read ETL and followed it strictly for about 6 months. I felt awesome, and lost weight very quickly. But I have a family of meat eaters. I missed enjoying meals with my family. And you have to be prepared to do some prep and plan ahead.

I agree with previous posters who said that this was the way we are meant to eat. Whole heartedly agree. Eventually, I'll move back to this way of eating.
SuziC is offline   Reply With Quote