Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 04:17 PM   #1  

Unhappy Vitamins...HELP!!!!!!!

Hi everyone,
I roam around on this site sucking up the information, but I don't post very often; however, I can't seem to find any GOOD information on vitamins while dieting. I recently had a HORRIBLE bout with kidney stones and my doctor made me stop taking all Vitamin C (except what I get naturally in foods). I have been taking a Centrum multivitamin plus a vitamin C tablet every day, but now that I need to switch to get less vitamin C, I am finding disturbing things about some of the multivitamins such as Centrum. My understanding is that the vitamin is so hard, that it goes through your system before it has time to completely dissolve so you end up not getting the vitamins you need. So what's the best to take? What dissolves the fastest with the most benefit? Anyone an expert in this catagory? I know eating a well-balanced diet is the best thing, but as bad as I hate to admit it, I don't like my veggies....have to force down the ones I actually eat. So I'm a person that probably needs that extra vitamin a day....PLEASE help!
Thanks a bunch,
Kristin
Old 03-25-2003, 06:57 PM   #2  

Pretty much all vitamins are slow dissolvers and that is why you are encouraged to drink a lot when taking them and have food in your stomach to keep from upset. I am 49 and have taken both one a day weight management and one a day women's health, both of which have been ok for me. I also take a calcium supplement. If you have concerns, ask your physician to recommend something for you.

Good luck to you!

Donna
Old 03-25-2003, 07:36 PM   #3  

Thanks Donna,
My doc reccommended the Centrum...but like I said, I have read where fiber-based vitamins are better (whichever ones those are) and with all the stuff I read about Centrum being hard to dissolve, I just wondered if any "experts" could tell me anything different. Thanks a bunch! Greatly appreciated!
Kristin
Old 03-26-2003, 11:35 AM   #4  
The Rockinghorse Gal

S/C/G: 238/230/130

Height: 5'2"

I bought some excellent multivitamins in capsule form (powdered in a gelatin capsule) that dissolve completely within minutes of consumption...there are different formulations to choose from, so you should be able to get one that suits your needs. These are from the Vitamin Shoppe, and if I recall properly, they are online, the URL being http://www.VitaminShoppe.com

(I'm not advertising for them of course, because you can get similar products at health food stores, but I've found the proces to be better at this place. The disadvantage is that you have to wait for the delivery rather than instant gratification at a store.)

I wish you luck, and no more kidney stones! Those little buggers are some of the most painful things anyone can experience.
Old 03-26-2003, 11:36 AM   #5  
The Rockinghorse Gal

S/C/G: 238/230/130

Height: 5'2"

Wow, I didn't know the server automagically makes links out of URLs. Thats a nice surprise.
Old 03-26-2003, 12:25 PM   #6  

Thank you SO much for the suggestion! I will definitely look into those. I don't mean to be so obsessed with vitamins, but I know I'm lacking in the food department, and I know I need a little more.
Thanks again...greatly appreciated.
Kristin
Closed Thread