Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 10:42 AM   #1  

Unhappy Roller Coaster help, will I fit?

Every year my school goes on a trip to Kings Island in May and i want to go this year, but i was there in 5th grade last and i think in was around 180 and barely fit, it wasnt my stomach, its was my legs and the bar would barely fit over them, and im now 237 and im afraid i wont fit at all. Their website says:

"Due to rider restraint system requirements, guests of
exceptional size may not be accommodated on some of our
rides. This may apply, but not be limited to, guests who
exceed 6’2” or those who exceed 225 pounds, have a 40”
waistline or 52” chest. You may enter the ride via the exit to
ensure the restraints function properly prior to waiting in
line. Test seats are located at the queue entrance of
Delirium and The Crypt"

Im under 6'2 so thats fine, im 12 pounds over what it says, i have a 46' chest and at the biggest part of my stomach is 48' and smallest is 43', but they dont say anything about your legs and i think at the biggest part their 30 something.
Can anyone help and remember their size when they rode a rollar coaster last?
Old 11-07-2010, 11:10 AM   #2  
Knowing I'm worth it!

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

After reading their requirements and seeing your measurements, I say it could be a problem for you. I will never forget the day I got in a ride and the restraint on the ride did close and lock, but OMG was it tight! So tight in fact that I'm sure it was against code but because they either didn't realize how snug the restraint was (shoving into my body in a very painful way) or because I wouldn't for the life of me complain, they let me ride this ride.

If you really want to ride and aren't embarrassed to test the restraints out then do so, but don't be like me and suffer the pain. No ride is worth that and once you get to a weight and measurement that fits into the requirements you can ride all you want. Roller-coasters are never going to go away so you got time.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:33 AM   #3  

Height: 5'5"

Not sure why you would want to put yourself through this? How will you feel if you can't fit in there?
Old 11-07-2010, 11:40 AM   #4  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

We have season passes to KI. I love that place!

I'm four inches shorter than you and when I weighed 235 pounds I still fit in everything, but I'll be honest and say it wasn't real comfortable. I always felt quite squished. My husband is 6' and when he was 220 he barely fit on Drop Zone, but that's because he has a sort of hump back and the top of the restraints was too narrow for him.

And don't waist your time on the Crypt. That ride was a big disappointment. When it was Laura Croft "Tomb Raider" it had water and a fire pit the ride threatened to drop you into, but they took all that out and now all it does is swing you around a pendulum and turn you upside down twice. It's really lame.

And hey, what an awesome mini goal!! When I started exactly this time last year one of my goals was to take my niece to KI and to be able to not worry about fitting into the rides. It felt so good! I still get the biggest kick over walking through the turn stiles without turning sideways!

Oh, and to answer your question, I'm pretty sure I was 180 at the beginning of Summer and it was like magic! I not only fit, I felt tiny! If you set a goal of about 200 (which BMI wise would be about the same as my 180 correcting for height) you will feel magical too. But just to reiterate, I bet you'd fit NOW.

Last edited by Eliana; 11-07-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Well girl, you have what 6 months until then.. think of how much you can do in 6 months!!!
Old 11-07-2010, 12:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

While it might be close right now, you're not going right now. You're going in May which is nearly 6 months from now. Even if you're a slow loser, even a very small loss each week will have you more than comfortable on those roller coasters by then.

It sounds like a very achievable goal to me.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:15 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaM View Post
Not sure why you would want to put yourself through this? How will you feel if you can't fit in there?
i dont know what you mean?
Old 11-07-2010, 12:21 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
We have season passes to KI. I love that place!

I'm four inches shorter than you and when I weighed 235 pounds I still fit in everything, but I'll be honest and say it wasn't real comfortable. I always felt quite squished. My husband is 6' and when he was 220 he barely fit on Drop Zone, but that's because he has a sort of hump back and the top of the restraints was too narrow for him.

And don't waist your time on the Crypt. That ride was a big disappointment. When it was Laura Croft "Tomb Raider" it had water and a fire pit the ride threatened to drop you into, but they took all that out and now all it does is swing you around a pendulum and turn you upside down twice. It's really lame.

And hey, what an awesome mini goal!! When I started exactly this time last year one of my goals was to take my niece to KI and to be able to not worry about fitting into the rides. It felt so good! I still get the biggest kick over walking through the turn stiles without turning sideways!

Oh, and to answer your question, I'm pretty sure I was 180 at the beginning of Summer and it was like magic! I not only fit, I felt tiny! If you set a goal of about 200 (which BMI wise would be about the same as my 180 correcting for height) you will feel magical too. But just to reiterate, I bet you'd fit NOW.
thanks so much, i would rather be really squished than have to try and get on and not fit :/
Old 11-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

Ghostgirl811 -

Stick with a healthy eating plan (and you know that means no sodas, chocolate and fries) and strength your thigh muscles (with squats and lunges). Then no worries. Six months is a great goal to strive for and KI is a great reward for sticking to your plan.

And remember, if you slip up, just get back on track as soon as you can.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:32 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 183/183/160

Height: 5'6"

By May I think you will be just fine. I went to Cedar Point a couple weeks ago and I was scared I wouldn't fit because I was at my highest weight. And yeah, it wasn't my stomach is was my thighs and damn child bearing hips =P how sexist! Anyways, when I went I was in the 2teens and I did okay on all but one, which was a really old dinky ride. May is a long time from now, and if you stick to your plan you should be fine come the trip. A lot of it depends on where you will lose your weight, but keep positive. And @PaulaM's comment, I think that's a very conservative view. How will you know until you try? And you TRY because you have the right to have fun just like everyone else. Considering your weight right now and the time until the trip you will definitely change. You may not be 180, but I think it will work. But I also have never been to King's Island. At Cedar Point they have test-chairs where you can try out the harnesses before getting in line for the ride. Does KI have those? It will save you the trouble of standing for a long time for a ride.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:38 PM   #11  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelbelle View Post
Does KI have those? It will save you the trouble of standing for a long time for a ride.
Many do, some do not. And trust me Ghostgirl, there were some pretty big men who rode the rides. I've seen several attendants have to shove the harness down hard, but they got them in. You are not as big as I was at my highest AND you're taller! I know that EVEN NOW you'd be just fine...just a little uncomfortable.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:03 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelbelle View Post
By May I think you will be just fine. I went to Cedar Point a couple weeks ago and I was scared I wouldn't fit because I was at my highest weight. And yeah, it wasn't my stomach is was my thighs and damn child bearing hips =P how sexist! Anyways, when I went I was in the 2teens and I did okay on all but one, which was a really old dinky ride. May is a long time from now, and if you stick to your plan you should be fine come the trip. A lot of it depends on where you will lose your weight, but keep positive. And @PaulaM's comment, I think that's a very conservative view. How will you know until you try? And you TRY because you have the right to have fun just like everyone else. Considering your weight right now and the time until the trip you will definitely change. You may not be 180, but I think it will work. But I also have never been to King's Island. At Cedar Point they have test-chairs where you can try out the harnesses before getting in line for the ride. Does KI have those? It will save you the trouble of standing for a long time for a ride.
they have the test seats but for me thats just as embarrassing as waiting in line and then finding i dont fit and have to walk away, i know i wont know any of the people around me but still :/
Old 11-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 183/183/160

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostgirl811 View Post
they have the test seats but for me thats just as embarrassing as waiting in line and then finding i dont fit and have to walk away, i know i wont know any of the people around me but still :/
Didn't say it was less embarrassing lol, just said it would save you from wasting time waiting in line.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:32 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

I would just caution you that your measurements are probably going to be more accurate than comparing yourself to others....

People are really different in terms of where they carry their weight, and because of that, we all wear different sizes and fit into different things.

When I was at my high weight I had trouble buckling at airplane seatbelt and had to ask for an extender, but I've seen people here who've said they could buckle the seat belt no problem at weights even higher than mine.

Best bet is to stick with your plan. It will be an awesome mini-goal if you shed some pounds and fit easily.

Good luck!

Last edited by ubergirl; 11-07-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:14 AM   #15  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Based on your measurements, it seems likely you won't fit right now. Don't give up, six months is plenty of time to drop a huge amount of weight and inches, in a very doable fashion. Heck, just losing a pound a week would drop you 25-ish pounds and likely many inches off your torso and legs, making you much more likely to fit without a problem. It's no guarantee, but if you don't work at losing the weight in the meantime it IS a guarantee that you won't be any closer to fitting the next time you want to try.

You have nothing to lose but extra pounds in the meantime, there's no good reason to not try

Work at losing the weight, take your measurements and weigh in a month out, and see how you stand at fitting then. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised if you have a plan and stick to it like glue
Closed Thread