Old 05-02-2010, 07:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/218/145

Height: 5'2

Default What/when was your "rock bottom"?

What was your breaking point? When? What was your life like when you were so far down that you decided THIS time was for real, and that there was nowhere to go but up?
ecsoccermom29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:59 PM   #2  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

That's easy. I was laid up because I had broken my ankle. I was on my own and stuck on my couch. I had just binged on chinese food and I just decided that I was going to try... for real. No more half hearted attempts that last a day, I was going to actually do it.

I was just so frustrated that the frustration turned into determination.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/Ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I never had a rock bottom... or a breaking point... people ALWAYS ask this

I never looked in the mirror and said ew, I didnt see a picture of myself and think omg you're sooo fat...

One day I woke up and said hey I think I'm going to start going to the gym and eating healthy...and almost a 100 pounds later I would say its worked well

I had never dieted before, I had never worked out before...

I'm interested in seeing what other peoples rock bottoms were because it must be a big part of peoples weight loss journey because its really one of the first questions everyone seems to ask me
HaleyisLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:16 PM   #4  

I wonder if you not ever dieting or working out before is the reason you never had a moment like that...
Because it seems that when people do hit that point, it's after a long battle of trying repeatedly, only to fail or give up.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 229/174/150

Height: 5'9"

mine was just this past christmas. I knew i had gained some weight after the last couple years of injuries, but really didn't realize how much. My family and I went to NZ for christmas this year and all wanted to go sky diving. Well I was too heavy to go. I was mortified, I lied to them all and just told them I didn't want to because I couldn't tell them all that I was too fat to go, but really its been something I wanted to do for as long as I can remember. well the weather didn't work out so they couldn't go anyway but thats when I decided I was going to change my life around and get back to the active athlete I was all through high school and college.
beachlover86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 290/Ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I've always said that I think my success comes from a lack of failure... I never tried before so I never failed before...and since this was my first attempt and it started out well so I kept with it...it kept me motivated enough to continue on
HaleyisLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

My girlfriend had gained some weight recently, mainly due to our rather unhealthy lifestyle.

This past summer, she texted me and said "Omg, i'm at 183 lbs. This is so rock bottom." and I went "huh. 183?". I was at 260, which was almost 100 lbs heavier. I had a ton of time to think, so I called her up three days later to talk about it. I was the only one of us who had ever dieted before and I told her that we could do this...but only if she was willing to stick it out to the end with me.

She lost her 20lbs a long time ago but she is sticking it out with me (for the most part)
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/ticker/120

I was already unhappy with my weight and seeing facebook pictures from my work xmas party was the last straw. I'm glad I started, I feel so much better now.
Katieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:52 PM   #9  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I have two. I guess you might not consider them both rock bottom, but they both felt that way at the time. Both pretty much broke my heart. Incidentally, both were also at carnivals, which sucks because when I was thin carnivals were pretty much my favorite thing.

The first one was my senior year of high school, and I was with my boyfriend. We were getting on one of those spinny rides where you swing around higher and higher until you're at a 90-degree angle to the ground. Well, first of all, I needed a stool to get into the seat because I couldn't jump that high. So then I'm trying to squeeze the harness shut and it won't go. Two of the ride operators came over and tried to squeeze me in, and they thought it had clicked so they went to go start the ride but red lights on our row started flashing and I just threw it off and flew out of there. My boyfriend was totally oblivious; he thought our row of harnesses was broken. (I'm still with him, and I know he wasn't pretending. He really didn't get that it was about my size, bless his heart).

The second time, the time it really hit me what I had become, was at a carnival in Germany. I was walking around with a friend eating ice cream, and this man walked by, looked at the cone, looked me in the eye with this disgusted face and went, "Dich tier." You animal. My friend didn't know any German, but I know a little. I started crying and just told her my contacts were bothering me. Not to be dramatic, but I can still hear his voice sometimes when I think about eating.
ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:55 PM   #10  
improving life!

Height: 5'7"

my rock bottom dealt a lot with going off my birth control. i was already overweight then when i went off it a year ago I completely changed. not only did i gain between 20-25 pounds but I became completely withdrawn from the world, i was losing my mind and couldn't even work because it was too much. i went back to school and started drinking all the time, got insomnia, was always tired and sick a lot, had to start seeing a therapist and they really wanted to put me on mood stabilizers.

That was when I realized that I needed to wake up. I have been 20 almost the entire time this has happened and I felt that if I didn't turn myself around quick I would be setting myself up for bad things the rest of my life (i feel around this age is a pivotal time). And thats when I decided to weigh myself too and I realized I was much more overweight than I thought.
pinkalarmclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:57 PM   #11  

ParadiseFalls, I'm sure that German guy will get his kharma, if he hasn't already. I would say he's the animal for being so rude.
As far carnivals...I haven't been to one since I was smaller, but I'm sure that was terrible for you. However, it looks like you're well on your way to being able to ride whatever you'd like.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:10 PM   #12  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsoccermom29 View Post
ParadiseFalls, I'm sure that German guy will get his kharma, if he hasn't already. I would say he's the animal for being so rude.
As far carnivals...I haven't been to one since I was smaller, but I'm sure that was terrible for you. However, it looks like you're well on your way to being able to ride whatever you'd like.
ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:10 PM   #13  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I don't think it's a requirement to have a rock bottom and I don't think it has any bearing on success. I just happened to have an epiphany. I had never attempted to fix my diet and knew that was going to be the source of my own success. I have always been active and that was taken off the table when I got hurt. I had no choice but to face my eating if I was ever going to be successful. It was just a perfect storm of cirucmstances.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:13 PM   #14  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I had my annual physical and my cholesterol, liver function and thyroid tests were all in the scary abnormal range. At that point I realized, okay, either you die of liver failure or a heart attack when you're 35, or you get your act together. I think that's what has kept me on this for so long - its not about my actual weight number or what I look like, its about my LIFE.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:15 PM   #15  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleyisLove View Post
I've always said that I think my success comes from a lack of failure... I never tried before so I never failed before...and since this was my first attempt and it started out well so I kept with it...it kept me motivated enough to continue on
This is actually a really good point. When people try to change a health behavior, they often gauge their ability to succeed based on their past experiences. For example, I got frustrated when I got stuck at 195 lbs because that's where I had gotten stuck before, so I had a little lapse in faith that I would be able to get past it - kind of like a "oh crap I failed here before I'm going to fail again" but through perseverance and support, I was able to move past it.

Haley - if you had never tried and never failed before, you kind of had a leg up in that you had no previous negative experiences to relate back to
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote