Old 11-05-2010, 03:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Default Anyone else feel they are too heavy for some exercises?

So in the past my usual workouts consisted of WATP videos, well they are tapes and getting old so this time around I wanted to change it up and maybe make it more fun for me to get my cardio in. We have amassed a decent home gym downstairs (an all in one weight system, a bench and a boat load of freeweights, a speed bag and punching bag to keep the hubby happy) and I have been trying to add to my video collection every time I find a deal.

Well fastforward to this time around. I have learned my lessons hard, and plan on making this last forever, so I have to make it something I WANT to do. Well Zumba looks fun to me, so I got it. Well it took me 3 days to get through the basics steps "workout" and well yes it must be a workout because I sweated alot..lol. The downfall, my ankles were KILLING me by day 3 of wokring out (but I finally was able to get through all the steps, even if I didn't get them quite right). Yesterday I decided well if I could manage almost an hour for the basic steps, the 20minute express should be do-able. Ten minutes in I had to stop my ankles hurt so bad I was about in tears.

So put the disks away, have decided they will have to be one of my rewards when I hit a milestone <sigh>

eta: today I did the 2 mile WATP for abs and then went down to the weights for 20 minutes.

Anyone else have the same kind of problem??

Last edited by findingfawn; 11-05-2010 at 03:18 PM.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:22 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Yes, when I weighed more, I had trouble with different exercises so I kept it at walking (and WATP) until I was able to do more. I think the 2 miles you did and weights is awesome though Keep at it
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #3  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I used to have problems with muscles in my shins. Shin splints, I believe. The muscles in my shins would ache so bad, I would have to stop. It doesn't happen any more. I think I have built up the muscles.

Make sure you have good foot wear, too.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 302/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I didn't, but I really, really push myself. I was doing Zumba at my heaviest (302lbs) - I did not start doubling up on classes, however, until recently because of stamina. What kind of shoes are you wearing?
fitkristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #5  

They are a cross trainer, but nothing fancy.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:50 PM   #6  

I actually Zumba in my running shoes (very lightweight) instead of my cross trainers because I always felt really clunky in them. My feet and ankles feel a lot better in lighter shoes with the fast pace of Zumba.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:00 PM   #7  

Yes, I have been concerned about several exercises and activities the older (and fatter) I've gotten. I would be willing to bet that after you get closer to your goal weight and get those muscles built up, you will have better luck with the Zumba.

I used to do a cardio-salsa class that I loved, until the instructor started having us run in class. I could tell it wasn't doing my body any good because it hurt my knees (and not in a good way), so I decided to revisit the classes when I am in better shape.

I like the WATP videos, they are inclusive of all body types.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:12 PM   #8  
Calorie Countin' Fool

S/C/G: 274/ticker/150 for now/137?

Height: 5'6"

Wow, I have the same thing..home gym, weight bench, just have an eliptical machine instead of the speed ball.

I too, have a few videos (including WATP) but am starting to get bored with them. I thought about trying the Zumba vids too, but wasn't sure how I would like it, and didn't want to spend the money if I didn't!

Since I've lost 70 lbs, a lot of things have obviously gotten easier for me, but I still have problems with my knees. Vids that ask me to do a lot of lunging, squatting, etc. I usually end up having to modify.

So yes, I feel your pain!
NorthernExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:16 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernExposure View Post
Wow, I have the same thing..home gym, weight bench, just have an eliptical machine instead of the speed ball.

I too, have a few videos (including WATP) but am starting to get bored with them. I thought about trying the Zumba vids too, but wasn't sure how I would like it, and didn't want to spend the money if I didn't!

Since I've lost 70 lbs, a lot of things have obviously gotten easier for me, but I still have problems with my knees. Vids that ask me to do a lot of lunging, squatting, etc. I usually end up having to modify.

So yes, I feel your pain!
What I bolded was the key for me in the beginning - I modified whatever I couldnt' do (major plyo/jumping and squats, etc) and just kept moving!
Old 11-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Contrary to what a lot of folks on 3FC seem to believe, it IS possible to overdo exercise. I had thought I wanted to try Zumba until I watched one class. No way. Same thing with spin classes. No way. I'm just not a masochist! And I'm not planning to be an athlete! I'm better off in something like a step class, and I had to stop doing that for awhile, too.

That said, I am an older person. Someone in their 20s probably has a better chance at hard exercise than I do. Just don't let any trainer or peer pressure make you do something beyond your ability. It's not necessary to be a boot camp junky to lose weight.

Off my soap box now.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:27 PM   #11  

Excellent points Jay!!

Lucky for me, I can't afford a gym membership (nor the daycare for my kids so I could use it... nor do I want my kids in daycare but that is a different story..lol), so the only one pressure here comes from me, and well if I'm needing to stop, by golly, I'm gonna stop! More than I can't afford a gym membership, I really can't afford to hurt myself with 4 kids that I homeschool, a hubby and a house to care for... everything would fall apart in an hour
Old 11-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #12  

fitkristi, I will have to check out different shoes. I'm sooooo not a shoe person..lol.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #13  
Vegging out

S/C/G: 268/ticker/148

Height: 5'6"

I definitely think that there are some things that I can't (or shouldn't) be doing at this weight. I was running for a while, and was really having problems with my knees. I really like to run, but my knees were hurting me during EVERYTHING then. I have since stopped running, and my knee pain is gone. I am going to wait til I am lighter and then try it again. Also, plyometrics is something that I don't think would be a good idea for me right now. I know it's great exercise, but I'm guessing that a lot of jumping and landing wouldn't have a good effect either at 240! I'd try something with a little less impact for now and then try again after you've lost a little more.
dudesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:15 PM   #14  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

Yes!! I have been there. I also too suffered from shin splints when I was heavier. Not a problem anymore. But I do find that even now I have mental barriers that "I can't run!" and interesting enough lately I have tried mental techniques that have helped me break that barrier. I just did my fastest mile yesterday which was 12 minutes 5 seconds, and I cannot believe that it is me running for 5 straight minutes at a time!!
Walking is great though, its how I started! You WILL lose weight just moving more, so focus on that not on what you can't do, but what you can!!
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:32 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

OF course! We have to invest in the BEST shoes with gel insoles and I just plain can't do jumping (my boobs would knock me out). Just keep trying and just do the level you can. It does get easier.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote