Old 11-05-2010, 09:53 AM   #1  
Ms. Fat Smasher

S/C/G: 338/329/175

Height: 6'0

Default Low carb Thanksgiving ideas????

So I'm going down to South Carolina to cook Thanksgiving dinner for my mom and family, and I'll be cooking the traditional turkey, mac n cheese, stuffing, rolls, green beans, candied yams, and rice & gravy and pies for them....but WHAT ABOUT ME! (lol)

I'm thinking all I can have out of the above is turkey and green beans, which is totally not going to work!!!

Any ideas??? Faux recipes? Something!??

****I REFUSE TO CHEAT AND PIG OUT, BUT I NEED SOME HELP WITH SUBSTITUTING!****

Last edited by fatklr; 11-05-2010 at 09:55 AM.
fatklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatklr View Post
I'm thinking all I can have out of the above is turkey and green beans, which is totally not going to work!!!
I usually get dry turkey at my brother & sister-in-law's on Thanksgiving since she has absolutely no clue about low carb.

Here are some things you may want to consider:
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/cheesy_...casserole.html
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/mashed_potatoes.htm
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/just_li...d_potatoes.htm
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/stuffing.html
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/dotties...casserole.html
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/cranberries.html
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/creamy_...casserole.html
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/improve...ion_rolls.html
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/crustless_pumpkin_pie.html
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/pumpkin_custard.html
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/pumpkin_bake.html
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:56 PM   #3  
Come on 20!!!

S/C/G: 184/174/125

Height: 5'2"

Your "dry turkey" comment made me spit my coffee.... lol.

It just reminds me of my own family gatherings once at my mom's house and every year at my mother-in-law's house.... turkey is always perfect but, my MIL serves Dinner at 130 in the afternoon and only makes mashed potatoes, gravy, and canned corn...roflmao..... and then comes my mother.....

The first time my Hubby came over for Thanksgiving dinner my mom served BBQ Ribs and Steak.... not a Turkey in sight....lol... and then she opened up a can of corn at the table and tossed it in a bowl and put a spoon in it....roflmao.... the look of shock on my hubby's face was beyond priceless. You see my mom had never cooked Thanksgiving dinner and knowing I was dating a "white guy" she wanted to impress him. What a trooper.... he scooped the corn onto his plate and started blowing on it.... after about a minute he turned to my dad and said... "Rocky, will you toss this in the microwave I made it too cold to eat." ..... talk about a sweetheart. It took almost 15 years to tell her about that incident and we still all laugh about it.... I always say that my parents are just off the boat...and that I am first generation Mainland... we are from Guam which is still a United States Territory yet the cultures are still different. We have always had steak and ribs on Thanksgiving.... and so now we incorporate both meals and spend all our time at his parent's with my family in tow.

Sorry to hijack the thread.... I kind of was owed it since I did spit my coffee all over my laptop....roflmao.

AppleBuddy
sail7seassoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:05 PM   #4  
Ms. Fat Smasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail7seassoon View Post
Your "dry turkey" comment made me spit my coffee.... lol.

It just reminds me of my own family gatherings once at my mom's house and every year at my mother-in-law's house.... turkey is always perfect but, my MIL serves Dinner at 130 in the afternoon and only makes mashed potatoes, gravy, and canned corn...roflmao..... and then comes my mother.....

The first time my Hubby came over for Thanksgiving dinner my mom served BBQ Ribs and Steak.... not a Turkey in sight....lol... and then she opened up a can of corn at the table and tossed it in a bowl and put a spoon in it....roflmao.... the look of shock on my hubby's face was beyond priceless. You see my mom had never cooked Thanksgiving dinner and knowing I was dating a "white guy" she wanted to impress him. What a trooper.... he scooped the corn onto his plate and started blowing on it.... after about a minute he turned to my dad and said... "Rocky, will you toss this in the microwave I made it too cold to eat." ..... talk about a sweetheart. It took almost 15 years to tell her about that incident and we still all laugh about it.... I always say that my parents are just off the boat...and that I am first generation Mainland... we are from Guam which is still a United States Territory yet the cultures are still different. We have always had steak and ribs on Thanksgiving.... and so now we incorporate both meals and spend all our time at his parent's with my family in tow.

Sorry to hijack the thread.... I kind of was owed it since I did spit my coffee all over my laptop....roflmao.

AppleBuddy
LOL!!! Yeah, you get a pass for the hijack!
Old 11-05-2010, 01:10 PM   #5  
Ms. Fat Smasher

I couldn't open the 2nd and 3rd links, but the rest are great! Thanks!

Last edited by fatklr; 11-05-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:43 PM   #6  
Native Texan

S/C/G: 270/231.5/140

I also have been thinking about and planning "MY" Thanksgiving meal at my mom's this year. I usually cook too because I have 5 grown kids plus grandkids, plus my siblings and their kids, so LOTS of people and LOTS of food there. The ham, turkey and green beans I know are safe (carb wise) everything else I would have to say NOT. So I am thinking for stuffing, I make a quiche that I have modified to be "mock dressing." For some mashed potatoes I am going to make a small bowl of the cauilflower "mock mashed potatoes". I think for my dessert I am just going to make some sugar free jello in a pretty jello mold and top it with a little bit of whipped HWC I plan on walking after the meal if the weather is permitting. I do live in Texas though and it is a bi-polar weather state so we'll see
So my meal plan is :
ham
green beans
cauliflower mashed potatoes
mock stuffing quiche
jello topped with HWC
a walk afterwards

Last edited by islandchick1; 11-05-2010 at 04:05 PM.
islandchick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #7  
Ms. Fat Smasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandchick1 View Post
I also have been thinking about and planning "MY" Thanksgiving meal at my mom's this year. I usually cook too because I have 5 grown kids plus grandkids, plus my siblings and their kids, so LOTS of people and LOTS of food there. The ham, turkey and green beans I know are safe (carb wise) everything else I would have to say NOT. So I am thinking for stuffing, I make a quiche that I have modified to be "mock dressing." For some mashed potatoes I am going to make a small bowl of the cauilflower "mock mashed potatoes". I think for my dessert I am just going to make some sugar free jello in a pretty jello mold and top it with a little but of whipped HWC I plan on walking after the meal if the weather is permitting. I do live in Texas though and it is a bi-polar weather state so we'll see
So my meal plan is :
ham
green beans
cauliflower mashed potatoes
mock stuffing quiche
jello topped with HWC
a walk afterwards
That sounds DELISH! I'm thinking about making the crustless pumpkin pie and topping it with HWC or I'll make some egg nog flavored cream cheese muffins sprinkled with nutmeg!

Last edited by fatklr; 11-05-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:05 PM   #8  
Native Texan

We just have to plan ahead to be successful. I have a large family and we have lots of get togethers so I have to think ahead ALL the dang time so much that it makes my brain hurt
Old 11-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #9  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

when I was a vegan I made a few other dishes. Since you are the cook, you may want to consider going outside of "tradition" and not making everything that is usually on the list, and substituting "new" traditions.
I made a pumpkin cheesecake instead of pumpkin pie this year, and have told every one that is the new tradition, since I will do atkins for life.
Do we really need mashed potatoes, stuffing, yams, etc, just carbs over carbs? You can have a very special feast without going nuts.
Years ago, we starting making massive veggie feasts. We all liked veggies a lot, and it was harvest (and did I mention I was vegetarian/vegan for several years). So we did about 8 types of veggies, a small turkey and went with that. worked great.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:47 PM   #10  
Native Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmad View Post
when I was a vegan I made a few other dishes. Since you are the cook, you may want to consider going outside of "tradition" and not making everything that is usually on the list, and substituting "new" traditions.
I made a pumpkin cheesecake instead of pumpkin pie this year, and have told every one that is the new tradition, since I will do atkins for life.
Do we really need mashed potatoes, stuffing, yams, etc, just carbs over carbs? You can have a very special feast without going nuts.
Years ago, we starting making massive veggie feasts. We all liked veggies a lot, and it was harvest (and did I mention I was vegetarian/vegan for several years). So we did about 8 types of veggies, a small turkey and went with that. worked great.

My mom and I both cook and my sister brings some stuff as well. But I can tell you this, my 4 grown sons would never go for a vegan Thanksgiving
And I don't really care for most of the traditionally Thanksgiving fare so it's not going to be that difficult to make my meal different than thier's. I always eat a fairly small amount on the holidays meals because I really hate that "stuffed like the turkey" feeling.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:08 AM   #11  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Thanksgiving?

I'll be having Thanksgiving dinner with a fine Southern cook and her family. I'm going to take pumpkin bake and whipped cream, a veggie I can eat, maybe cauliflower pre-steamed and reheated with sharp cheese and cream; I should be okay with that.

I'm thinking of making my own sugar-free cranberry sauce using fresh berries and Truvia since cranberry sauce is my favorite Thanksgiving goody.

According to nutrition data, there are 13 carbs, 8 grams of fiber in 3.88 oz. of fresh cranberries. No worries. Now I have to find a recipe. Everyone's ideas are really good. Thanks!
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:00 PM   #12  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyfanny View Post
According to nutrition data, there are 13 carbs, 8 grams of fiber in 3.88 oz. of fresh cranberries. No worries. Now I have to find a recipe.
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/cranberries.html

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 11-06-2010 at 01:00 PM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:18 PM   #13  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Thanks so much, Jerseygyrl. I'm not gaining a pound over Thanksgiving...I'm going to lose! I want to be below 200 for the first time in about seven years!
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:51 PM   #14  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I'm having Thanksgiving dinner at a friend's house this year (our husbands are deployed *as always*) and she's given me full power over the turkey and the veggies. I can deal with that . I'm going to make up all my other 'weird' low carb stuff and have it at home to eat later with the leftovers (that's the best part anyway, right?) . During the actual dinner I think I'll be ok with turkey and veg. I might take a pumpkin cheesecake over.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:29 PM   #15  
Ms. Fat Smasher

So I have decided that I will have turkey, string beans, faux mashed potatoes (mashed cauliflower) and gravy and crustless pumpkin pie for dessert. I would love to find a substitution for mac n cheese....any ideas?