Old 11-01-2010, 05:36 PM   #1  
Ilene the Bean

Default Primal/Paleo-ish in November

Oh my how time flies!!

After NYC, next Monday, I am getting back on the wagon... I will also be on the wagon this week till Thursday.... I will do my best also in NYC to make the best choices but....

Confession: I fell into a bowl of those mini-bars yesterday I felt like poop all day today... I feel better now after a good Primal supper
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #2  
Last Timer

S/C/G: 175/150/127.5

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post

I will do my best also in NYC to make the best choices but....
I have a feeling that the restaurants that you will be visiting will be a whole lot more enticing than the ones in Vegas. I actually am packing some tuna fish and chicken broth as well as an assortment of nuts, which I cannot have many of if I am to stay below 20 net carbs...

I think it might be a lot of bacon (I don't like eggs ) and steak and salmon.

Good Luck everyone. I would sure like to be 149 when all is said and done.
sparky1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:56 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky1946 View Post
I have a feeling that the restaurants that you will be visiting will be a whole lot more enticing than the ones in Vegas. I actually am packing some tuna fish and chicken broth as well as an assortment of nuts, which I cannot have many of if I am to stay below 20 net carbs...

I think it might be a lot of bacon (I don't like eggs ) and steak and salmon.

Good Luck everyone. I would sure like to be 149 when all is said and done.
I must have missed something I didn't know you were going to Vegas! Cool! Well I will do my darnedest to keep it low carb ... I you can I can too
Old 11-01-2010, 09:44 PM   #4  
Last Timer

2 Week Carb Challenge
Total Carbs Net Carbs
11/1 21 14
11/2
11/3
11/4
11/5
11/6
11/7
11/8
11/9
11/10
11/11
11/12
11/13
11/14

Last edited by sparky1946; 11-02-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:19 AM   #5  

While Sandy and others are doing the 20 net carb challenge, I'm going to do the more fat, more veg challenge. Yesterday ... not so good. Today is another day

Zucchini with eggs for breakfast
Salad (lettuce, cukes, avocado) with tuna for lunch
Kale salad for dinner, maybe some cauliflower, and lamb if I'm up for chewing tonight

Update: The dental freezing feels as if it's going to take a while to wear off ... It sure took long enough to set! I may be on liquids and soft foods for 24 hours.

Last edited by I'm svelting!; 11-02-2010 at 09:17 AM.
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:53 AM   #6  
Last Timer

Good for you svelting...

After the challenge, I am going to try to come up with more fall/winter soup and stew recipes that will incorporate more and different veggies.

I have some old standbys that have corn, potatoes, and/or rice that I want to primalize, hopefully without changing the flavor too much.

Anybody have any tried and true favorites?
Old 11-02-2010, 11:25 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 331 HW 299 June 2010/288/180?

Height: 5'4"

I bought some beautiful clams that were frozen in clam nectar, I am going to make clam chowder. I will sautee pepper bacon and onion, then throw in celery, carrots, the clam nectar. Then top off with cream. I dont think it will be as thick as I like, since I dont imagine coconut flour would make a rouge (how the heck do you spell that!?) BUT it should be good.

We have made 'taco' soup several times. And a gumbo type soup as well. I love soup, it is so forgiving and flexible.

Im going out of town this weekend, but I am going to be on plan as much as possible until Saturday night, where we will have Ben and Jerrys no matter what! Hotel Room, Girls piled up on a bed, Jammies, Laughter, plastic spoons and multiple Ben & Jerrys......its gunna happen!

For me yesterday went fine.
11.1......29 total carbs, nothing off plan
Mikkijoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #8  
Last Timer

I think it is roux??? Not sure.

There is a primal thickener that you have to mix with water first rather than adding dry to fat in pan and then adding liquid. I am traveling today and I will look that up as I know that thick soups are so filling. Of course, we can load up on cream in many recipes.

Something like Konjac Glucomannan.....

Use it as thickener:
Like cornstarch, but with 10 times the viscosity, Konjac Glucomannan powder thickens sauces, gravies, puddings and pie fillings without affecting taste. Konjac Glucomannan is easy to use, dissolving easily into hot or cold liquids.

When using konjac for thickening, always mix it with a small amount of liquid (cold water, stock, wine, etc.) till smooth, then add this mixture to the food that you want thickened. If you add konjac powder directly to your food you will end up with a lumpy mess. Konjac powder can be used as a thickener for smooth gravies, sauces, glazes, soups, stews and casseroles. It is also a thickener in pies, puddings, custards and cake fillings. This naturally odorless, vegetable powder is also gluten-free, making it the perfect substitute in cooking and baking when flour and other glutinous starches must be avoided.

Last edited by sparky1946; 11-02-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:40 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Mikkie, I once did a primal stew and they added arrowroot as a thickener. One tablespoon of water and one tablespoon of arrowroot, then add to the stew/soup...

Since Halloween night I feel soooo off plan, I need to get back on the wagon...
Old 11-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 232.6/232.0/165

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
Mikkie, I once did a primal stew and they added arrowroot as a thickener. One tablespoon of water and one tablespoon of arrowroot, then add to the stew/soup...

Since Halloween night I feel soooo off plan, I need to get back on the wagon...
I also use arrowroot because cornstarch just tastes wierd and flour is a no-no here (even for kids and hubby).

Oh Ilene....can I join your club...lol I have a brutal migraine and it is because my sugar intake has skyrocketed since just before Halloween. Chocolate is like crack to me. Chips and candy I can easily avoid but there is no way I can have chocolate in the house. Even though I have had a couple of really great primal(anti-candida) days with lots of meat and fats...the call of the chocolate(sugar) is just too much for me to ignore. I am seeing my naturopath tomorrow and I am asking for something to detox my system. Maybe if I can associate feeling really crappy (via detox) with eating sugar, my mind and body will finally make me avoid it. (`cause having a throbbing,stabbing headache with nausea sure isn`t working)

Enjoy your stays in Los Vegas and NY!! Hubby and I are going to Toronto (Canada) for a few days in mid-November. He is doing simulator training (he is with Air Canada) so I figured I would go with him as the hotel is paid already and Grammy is babysitting the kids! YAY!! No cooking....no cleaning...and no kids....a pool...and an exercise room....
MaddieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:29 PM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

Maddie, why don't you join my club when I come back on Sunday night? ... I've had cramps too... Made the mistake of having an oatmeal cookie after giving blood last night, cramp city after that ... I will do my darnedest in NYC to stay Primal ... Toronto is nice, do the CN tower tourist thing and then relax at the hotel ... There's also the Eaton Centre to shop at... lots of things to do in TO....
Old 11-03-2010, 04:46 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 331 HW 299 June 2010/288/180?

Height: 5'4"

Hey there

Made primal bread last night, and I must say since I have not had a full sammich in over 2 months it was damn good!
2 cups packed spinach leaves
4 eggs
1/2 cup almonds (used cashews)
1/2 cup coconut flour
Added salt and pepper and about 1/4 cup water that was not called for

Pureed everything in the blender, and cooked like pancakes. Made a ham sammich.....WOW it was good, I could like green bread! not that its texture is like bread, cuz its not, but it did the trick. THat recipe just makes 6 rounds, I tripled the recipe while I was at it, just made sence to get the blender dirty one time.

AND you know that you are just a little strange when your idea of a snack is a can of collard greens and a slice of left over meatloaf crumbled up into it, topped off with butter and red pepper flakes, my daughter was pretty sure I had lost it, and made sure to point out that CANNED veg was not 100% on plan..........little twirp!

Day 2, total carbs at 36
Day 3, will be low, no food at work, having beef curry for dinner
Mikkijoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky1946 View Post
I think it is roux??? Not sure.

There is a primal thickener that you have to mix with water first rather than adding dry to fat in pan and then adding liquid. I am traveling today and I will look that up as I know that thick soups are so filling. Of course, we can load up on cream in many recipes.

Something like Konjac Glucomannan.....
Sandy, it is roux. You reminded me of one of my favourite cookbook titles (never purchased, just seen on the shelf) from New Orleans, "You say your Mama's Catholic, but can she make a roux?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddieD View Post
Oh Ilene....can I join your club...lol I have a brutal migraine and it is because my sugar intake has skyrocketed since just before Halloween. ...

Enjoy your stays in Los Vegas and NY!! Hubby and I are going to Toronto (Canada) for a few days in mid-November. He is doing simulator training (he is with Air Canada) so I figured I would go with him as the hotel is paid already and Grammy is babysitting the kids! YAY!! No cooking....no cleaning...and no kids....a pool...and an exercise room....
Ilene and Maddie, sorry to hear that you're both feeling so poorly. Hope whatever's got you lets go really soon.

Maddie, I live in Toronto. If you don't have any other local sources of inside information about Toronto (or even if you do), let me know what you want to do and I'll do my best to come up with some recommendations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkijoe View Post

AND you know that you are just a little strange when your idea of a snack is a can of collard greens and a slice of left over meatloaf crumbled up into it, topped off with butter and red pepper flakes, my daughter was pretty sure I had lost it, and made sure to point out that CANNED veg was not 100% on plan..........little twirp!

Day 2, total carbs at 36
Day 3, will be low, no food at work, having beef curry for dinner
Thanks for the primal sandwich recipe! That's sounds like a good substitute. I'll file the recipe away for the time when my bread-addicted sweetheart is ready to switch.

Ah teen daughters ... so cheeky. You gotta love 'em! (Mostly because we were one once Well I was a cheeky teen daughter, even if none of you were!)

---
I've had a good day today -- filling eggy breakfast, big salad with tuna (probably should have had more tuna), chicken and sweet potato and kale for dinner. Blew past my fat target of 50% with a 57% and my calories in the 1300 - 1400 range. More fat - check, more veg - check, more food - check.

Oh, and I'm not going to get on the scale until Saturday. In doing that every morning, I've been giving myself a daily dose of crazy.

-Holly
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:59 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 232.6/232.0/165

Height: 5'6"

Thanks Holly for the offer! Hubby will be at the simulator at the airport so I'll be sticking pretty close to there. Honestly...I'm looking forward to the s-i-l-e-n-c-e of no kids around more than anything!! (bad mother I know!lol) I plan on getting 3 or 4 books and reading,relaxing and enjoying eating what I want without hearing the complaints (omg...stirfry again...where's the potatoes...nothing for dessert?)

Headache is gone but oldest has pink eye. She is following in my footsteps re:sugar addiction and when she eats a lot of sugar, it really affects her body. My youngest...totally different kid. Will eat half a cookie and then be done. Me....I crave them until they are gone. ugh!
MaddieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #15  
Last Timer

Sold out our books early (hubby is an author), so got on the plane yesterday. Some old veteran had his wife boarded but he was on standby. The airline asked for volunteers to wait for a later flight. The guy was so agitated that my DH went up and volunteered us. As the flight was way overbooked, we both got $350 plus the cost of our one way flight plus another $50 ea 'cause the actual next flight was also booked. We wound up making back $1054. We lost about $15 at the slot machines....lol.

So a very successful trip except...... have you ever really tried hard in an airport to find primal food for a real meal? It almost makes you mad. You finally decide to eat healthy and you cannot find anything. We wound up having a Wendy's salad with questionable dressing for lunch and then because we were delayed more, a bunless burger with questionable cold slaw, and french fries with grated cheese, that I ate way too many of,
unfortunately.

During the conference, we were on our own for food. When you ask restaurants to totally change their menu, take a little from here add something from there. They charge more, that's for sure, at least in Vegas.

You know that one commercial for a budget motel chain, advertising their great breakfasts, and John Ratzenburger (sp) takes all of the bacon and his wife follows behind watching it fall off his plate? Well, that was me at the buffet. At one fancier restaurant, I ordered three orders of bacon and a bowl of berries. The biggest bowl ever with sweetened whipped cream on the side.

It's hard out there, rather stay home .

I wrote down my meals and will try to enter them later. I know I am bloated today. Good day for a full on fast.

Last edited by sparky1946; 11-05-2010 at 11:12 AM.