Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 11:34 PM   #1  

Cool Frustrated

As I "diet", I find myself constantly falling back into the "fast food" routine. Being a college student and wife I am constantly on the run, studying, or just plain tired. I take One A Day Weight Smart, which I have found had curbed my hunger, BUT when I do eat it is so unhealthy. I never have the energy to exercise. I suffer from arthritis and Patello Femoral Syndrome + I have a cyst in my knee so I rarely feel like exercising. Any motivation ideas?
Old 03-25-2003, 12:04 AM   #2  

Hey there J.S., first of all: Keep your chin up! and Welcome to 3FC! Vent, question, comment, support and be supported, that's what we're here for.

So here's my 2 cents; this isn't a diet, it is a life change. If fast food is your vice... eat healthier fast food. There is Subway, Terriyaki is good, heck even McD makes salads and grilled chick. sandwichs.

Drink lots of water!!! I try to get 2 Liters each day. Diet soda is better than regular, but water is better than anything.

And for exercise, I know how painful knees really suck, just take it a little bit at a time. Remember that movement help the arthritis. And don't be afraid to try an 'elderly' program for awhile. Like physical theropy. If it really hurts that bad... anyhting is better than nothing. OH! water aerobics, i've heard, is wonderful.

hope I could help you a bit. I'll see you around, right?

-Washu-
Old 03-25-2003, 08:11 AM   #3  

Here goes. When I grocery shop, I bag up servings of stuff like pretzels sticks etc for snacks, there is also fat free puddings. When I worked full time, I would bag up 2 slices of bread, a separate baggies with lunchmeat (you can get pretty lowfat now) and even bagged some low fat mayo or mustard so they would be ready to go. I also would wash all veggies and bag in servings with separate baggies of dressing if you wish and wash fruits so they are ready to go at the last minute. If you do this after you get home from shopping and make it a routine, then you always have stuff at hand to grab in a hurry. As for exercise, I would try one of two things, they have chair exercises where everything is in a sitting position (check your library for possible tapes) AND water aerobics is a wonderful one. I am morbidly obese and dislocated a knee 6 years or so ago and the ortho would do nothing for it as he said I needed to lose weight and it would be ok. Not true, but anyway, I was able to do water aerobics and there was NO joint stress. Check your local health clubs that have pools or your YMCA/YWCA for classes.

Hope this helps!

Donna
Closed Thread