Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-02-2010, 03:37 PM   #1  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

Default Is it really as simple as calories in vs calorie out?

I am wondering because I have been tracking in fitday, alongside WW for a few days. I am a little concerned because I am pretty heavy on carbs (especially today at 69%). Albeit, they are good carbs (whole grain oatmeal and fruits). But, I am wondering if I am consuming too many carbs?..... even though they are good carbs. Will this hurt my weight loss? Or is it really as simple as calorie in vs. calorie out? Thoughts?
HadEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #2  

Height: 5'5

it is.

like your dog. is it springer?
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:43 PM   #3  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

In the strictest sense, the science of what causes a pound to be lost or gained is an energy equation thar does not vary in any statistically significant way. The rate at which we can expend that amount of energy and the things that trigger our bodies to store it vary, but not the math, itself.

Some people find themselves more sensitive to certain foods or macronutrient categories, but that doesn't generally cause them to gain weight by itself, but rather triggers biochemical feedback in their brains and systems that makes it harder to control their appetites, kicks fat storage into high gear or causes inflammatory responses. All these things will show as fluctuations on the scale and difficulties with our eating, but it doesn't change what a calorie and a pound are - units of energy and energy stored.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:45 PM   #4  
Back with a story

Most people, by the way, are not excessively sensitive to carbohydrates. You see a high proportion of them on this board because we are people who have weight control issues and therefore are forced to examine our eating more carefully and investigate what works and doesn't work. Most people never have to, because no major weight issues emerge. Even among the morbidly obese, without serious insulin issues many of us do just fine with simple carbohydrates like fruit and unrefined complex carbohydrates like whole grain breads, brown rice, barley, quinoa, etc etc.

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 11-02-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:07 PM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

For me it makes a difference, if I hit over 40% carbs no weight loss, but if I go under 35% I lose weight. That's just how it works for me but I have PCOS and am insulin resistant.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:07 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

1500 calories of cheesecake or 1500 calories of vegetables, chicken, and brown rice - if 1500 calories if your deficit, then in theory yes, you will still lose weight.

Now, one of those will give you a wide range of nutrients and have a good balance of protein, carbs, and fats to support a wide variety of positive things for the body (muscle preservation, reduced cholesterol, etc).

Yup, not the cheesecake.

This is why you have "skinny fat" girls - low weight but high body fat and poor health. You can be 5'5 and 100lbs eating a diet of doritos and chocolate milk, but you aren't going to be healthy.

^^^ Now this applies to "the norm" - some people do have legit medical conditions so none of this can be stated across the board for ALL people.

Last edited by sacha; 11-02-2010 at 04:07 PM.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:07 PM   #7  
This is the Last Time!!!

CherryPie: the dog is a Brittany and thank you.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:07 PM   #8  

It is more than just calories in vs calories out. If you don't eat nutritious foods, your body will hang on to more. 69% is really too many carbs, especially if these are simple carbs. The ideal goal for a balanced diet is about 50% carbs, 25% protein and 25% fat.

Fruit is not a simple carb, it is a complex carb. Simple carbs are processed carbs like sugar, flour, and things of that nature. Love those 100-calorie packs - simple carbs. Popcorn - whole grain.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:21 PM   #9  
This is the Last Time!!!

I try not to eat simple carbs, nothing white. No white rice, white bread, potatoes, etc.

I do eat complex. Whole grain oatmeal, whole wheat bread products, quinoa, etc.

Can you still eat too many complex carbs to be a detriment?
Old 11-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #10  
This is the Last Time!!!

and I eat veggies and fruit...don't forget about them.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:25 PM   #11  
This is the Last Time!!!

Beerab: how do you keep your carbs so low?
Old 11-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #12  
Back with a story

Quilter: This is a common misconception - starches are NOT simple carbs, they are complex carbs. Fruit sugars are simple carbohydrates. It is a chemical structure, not a measure of how good or bad the food is

Here's a link that explains it fairly simply:
http://www.weightlossforall.com/carbohydrates.htm

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 11-02-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #13  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

I'm of the opinion that a calorie is a calorie. Complex carbs (wheat bread, brown rice, oatmeal) are staples of my diet. I eat significant amounts of carbs and protein. Carbs get a bad rap, but they are essentual sources of energy. Slow burning carbs will keep you full and will regulate body sugar. Limit simple carbs and sugar just because those spike your blood sugar and will give you a "crash".

69% from carbs might too high just because you need protein and some fats for optimal health.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnough View Post
Beerab: how do you keep your carbs so low?
Rather than keeping carbs "low" (30-40% is balanced), think about ways you can increase your protein and fat intake.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:29 PM   #15  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Quilter- fruits are considered simple because they are comprised of the simple sugar, fructose (but they do contain massive fiber which helps slow the breakdown/absorption of the sugar-- provided the fruit is eaten whole. And i also have to raise a stink about making a blanket statement that the "ideal" macro--nutrient ratio breakdown is applied universally. I agree that 69% is a lot of carbs (unless the OP was an endurance athlete!)
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote