Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-02-2010, 01:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 236/?/132

Height: 5'6"

Default My family saw my pictures and...

I uploaded a couple new photos to facebook and in return got a phone call from my parents asking if I ill. They know I'm working out and eating right, lifting weights, etc... and I have lost a decent amount of weight, but at 205lbs, I am BY NO MEANS at a point where I can remotely look sick!!! Even the weight I have lost, I have taken nearly 9 months to lose, its not like I lost it overnight!

They said that it did not look good and they were concerned about it!!!

Anyone else have this kind of reaction??
GonnaTurnHeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

Yep. My mom went from telling me I needed to lose weight, to telling me I need more meat on my bones. It's a never ending battle. I think people just get used to seeing you a certain way, and it takes them a while to adjust. Especially if it's a drastic change.
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

I personally haven't had this happen however I have seen people who had lost weight and I thought they might be sick. especially when it is lost quickly. I understand that you have lost over time- but have your parents seen you? Parents just worry about their babies too. Its our job.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Unless you looked like you were dying that's a bit extreme lol. Do they come from a culture where bigger is better? lol.

I so far haven't gotten the "haven't you lost enough" but I'm sure that'll happen eventually. So many people have spoken about that here I'm not surprised at your family's reaction.

What did you say to them btw if you don't mind sharing lol.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:18 PM   #5  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

I'm sure your parents are just concerned. I'd just reassure them that you're perfectly healthy and that it's just the weight loss. Parents do worry - mine included. It's a good thing, really. It means they can see your weight loss and that they love you.

I haven't had that yet, but the people who know I'm losing weight are the ones I see weekly. I am a little worried about what'll happen when I get closer to my goal weight. Hopefully no worried comments...

I am worried about what my relatives will say when I go visit them for Thanksgiving - I only see them a few times a year. Last time for all of them I was somewhere between 180 and 207 lbs. Maybe they just won't notice?
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:34 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I had one friend say, "You've lost weight. You're not sick are you?" She thought I might have cancer and that's why I was losing. She didn't realize it was intentional.

As for families--I think some families just want everyone to stay the same. Don't let them discourage you.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:27 PM   #7  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

LOL. Obesity and it's health issues are an issue in my whole family. Oddly enough when any of us get to a healthy weight, the older folks, wonder if we're sick.

I have one distant relative who has been most likely morbidly obese her whole life. A few years ago, she got down to around 220 and her mother thought she was dieing of anorexia. At 5'5" she was not dieing of anorexia. She hadn't been that thin since like 7th grade, so I guess they just couldn't handle it, along with the fact that she was refusing to eat the unhealthy food.

Part of it for us is that if you stop by it's not polite to not offer you food and coffee, and it's not polite to not eat it. Most of those who have a problem with all of this, were born before, during or shortly after the depression, when food was a big deal, because there wasn't very much of it. To have a bit of meat on your bones meant you were doing well. At least that's how it is in my family.

Jeez I have old relation.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote