Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 09:01 AM   #1  

Height: 5'8.5"

Default Sheesh! We Wonder Why....

We wonder why Americans are so fat!!!

Recently when I go out to eat I've started either taking along a small plastic container or asking for a to go box to be delivered WITH my meal, and dividing it up immediately so I just eat what is on my plate and stop.

Last week I went out for lunch for teriyaki chicken. Filled up my plastic box... took the "leftovers" home and divided it up into freezer bags for dinners... FIVE of them! With veggies, I had enough for SIX meals... from ONE lunch!! It's "sick" to realize that not so long ago I would have EATEN it!!!

How do others of you "cope" with huge portions in restaurants, to resist overeating? All tips are helpful!

Sue
Old 03-23-2003, 02:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 245/245/130

Height: 5'2"

I go out with my girlfriend and we split a meal.... saves us both some money and a whole bunch of calories....
Old 03-23-2003, 06:24 PM   #3  

Sue, I always have them bring me an extra plate, take off what I can eat and have them take the rest away. I NEVER take it home or it might end up in my mouth either on the way home or when I get home for "just a little snack." I have gotten more demanding (nicely of course) when it comes to restaurants and so far everyone is accomodating. When I first started my program and went out to eat the first time, I was actually dumb enough to be embarrassed asking for ice water instead of a drink! I got over that one fast, along with dressing on the side, dry toast etc.

Good luck on your program whatever it might be!

Donna
Old 03-24-2003, 05:02 PM   #4  

Sounds like you have a very successful strategy already, Sue. One thing I do is choose restaurants that have low calorie options I like, even if they are expensive (sushi, boiled lobster hold the butter). Sometimes, I can foist the excess off on my large-framed husband. Sometimes I fill up on broth-based soups. And sometimes I blow it! .
Old 03-24-2003, 07:14 PM   #5  
GmaTo8

First, I divide what I plan to eat away from the rest, then I offer dh to take what he wants. Then I unscrew the salt shaker and dump salt on the rest... works every time!
Old 03-25-2003, 12:14 AM   #6  

Wow Jana! .... wow.

I just don't go out that much. (once a month? ish) so when I do it's a planned splurge and I eat what I want.

-w-
Old 03-25-2003, 01:36 AM   #7  

Height: 5'8.5"

Well I guess I just prefer to use willpower over being wasteful. But whatever works for different people. I had dinner again tonight off of that same lunch that I placed in the freezer in bits and pieces!

And I also ask for water - also always order hot water with lemon... it's great! Order the baked potato with no butter or sour cream, etc. And have learned to divide the meal FIRST and put some into a container!! Otherwise I will look down and it will all be gone!!

Congrats to all of you for your hard work.

Sue
Closed Thread