Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-30-2010, 11:51 AM   #1  
Gonna Do It This Time!

S/C/G: HW259/CW192ish/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Want to Quit

Here's the scoop. I started running (C25K) about a month ago. During that time, I was sick for about a week and couldn't work out. I was back at it again this week, every other day walking/running and I decided this morning that I hate it. Why? Because it's hard and because I feel like I'm never going to physically be able to run that 5K I've always dreamed of. I don't want to be a quitter, so could someone out there give me some encouragement or kicks in the butt or something to keep me going?
stillwagontsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

The only way you'll ever be able to accomplish your dream is to get your body into the shape it needs to be in order to do it. You are getting faster and stronger even if you don't realize it. Keep pushing yourself and you'll be where you need to be in no time. Quit and you'll lose any progress you've already made. Just stick with it!
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:11 PM   #3  
I love my muscles!

S/C/G: 169/149/135

Height: 5' 5 1/4"

Just start back at the beginning! You can do it!

If you still hate it even then, find something you like to do! There are so many things...swimming, lifting weights, yoga, pilates, riding a bike etc. If you dreamed of running a 5k but hate running, then that's that! Find something you do love
pinkflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 168 / 168 / 130

Height: 5.6

I always said in the past that I could never run, I hated it. This month I just completed my first 5k. It took me a couple of years to work up to it but I did it. Doing it just inspired me more. I did it gradually over the past couple years. Doing 2 minutes of runinning then 1 minute of walking and eventually lasting 5 minutes at a time, then 10 now I'm up to 30 -40 minutes of straight running. The big things that have helped me get more motivated is losing some weight (made it easier to run ) and finding the music for me that is motivating to listen too while I am running.
SweetyKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 205/188/140

Height: 5' 4"

Go as slowly as you need to. You may enjoy it more if your breathing is easier. I sometimes run with groups and I don't like it as much (despite the company) because I am always out of breath and last. When I'm on my own, I can go slowly and enjoy the movement.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Perhaps running is not your thing.

I hate running, so I do weight training. There are so many physical activities, surely one must appeal to you?
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:20 PM   #7  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

I just ran 2 miles straight today for the first time...and a total of 4 miles!!! This after only 7 weeks of running. I started at 30 seconds running 1 min rest...

One special note tho...I usually run 5-6 days a week...I just recently (within the last week or so) cut down my running days to approx 4 days/week.

I've lost 21 lbs in 7 weeks and my legs look GREAT! Hope that encourages you!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:30 PM   #8  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

stillwagonts: OMG! I know where you are coming from. I trained for a 5km last year and then I got really sick. Then I gave up.

I just started jogging/running again because I was thinking of my long term goals and that running burns a lot of calories. Just start slow, and build up. If you feel yourself getting too tired, just slow down and start again.

I agree with others that if you don't like jogging, then do something that you do like such as an aerobic class, zumba, or spinning. You can do this!
I know you have to be ready, because we cannot motivate you.. only you can do this.
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:33 PM   #9  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

As someone who quit C25K 6 times (usually around week 5-6) before finally completing it in August, I just want to say to you that if it's your dream to do it, then you owe it to yourself to run 5km at least once, even if it's not for a race. I only run now twice a week but I do 5-7+ km each run. I won't say I LOVE running but I LOVE the feeling I have at the end of my run, like the accomplishment of for once feeling like an athlete (I dunno how to explain it properly), it's amazing.

Here's the difference with what made me actually finish C25K the 7th try. I ran it super slowly. I mean SOOOO slowly that I could have walked it faster. If something feels so hard that you want to die, you're unlikely to want to do it over and over. So it meant, the runs were "easy" (ok obviously not a cake walk but not "undoable") but I still got the feeling of accomplishment of completing my C25K for the day AND my legs were getting used to sustaining a running/jogging motion. My suggestion to you would be to slow down. You can always work on speed later. If you've seen the Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds videos, think of doing something the speed of a "boosted walk" or a slow jog. As you get more used to it, you'll be able to pump your legs harder and go faster. Don't give up, just slow down. It makes ALL the difference. I'm still pretty slow at running but wayyyy faster than when I started. (My first complete 5k run was like 52:59 and I could probably have walked it just as fast because I'm a pretty fast walker). The important thing is to get your legs used to running and to get your cardio fitness up. Don't push that hard, if it feels like absolute death, you should probably slow down, and I promise when you finish, you'll look forward to the next run.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:50 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Do something you love.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:01 PM   #11  
Gonna Do It This Time!

S/C/G: HW259/CW192ish/150

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for the encouraging words guys! I think my problem is more mental than physical. Yes, I definitely need to increase my fitness level, BUT I've got this nasty little voice in my head that keeps saying things like 'You can't do this' and 'You're crazy...what the heck are you thinking!' I wanted to just stop today and go home and give in to the mean thoughts, but I kept going. My body was getting tired, but not to the point where I was near death. I could have walked several more miles before I was physically done for. I'm proud that I didn't give up and I made a date with my sneakers for Monday. I need to find that happy place in my head.
stillwagontsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:06 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillwagontsl View Post
Thanks for the encouraging words guys! I think my problem is more mental than physical. Yes, I definitely need to increase my fitness level, BUT I've got this nasty little voice in my head that keeps saying things like 'You can't do this' and 'You're crazy...what the heck are you thinking!' I wanted to just stop today and go home and give in to the mean thoughts, but I kept going. My body was getting tired, but not to the point where I was near death. I could have walked several more miles before I was physically done for. I'm proud that I didn't give up and I made a date with my sneakers for Monday. I need to find that happy place in my head.
I wonder if doing a fitness class or joining the Running Room would be a better option for you - perhaps being with others would be a better motivation?
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:01 PM   #13  
A Work in Progress

S/C/G: S-201.5/C-142.5/G-145.0

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillwagontsl View Post
I am YOU!! I started running back in April. I quit the C25K severa times, and ultimately abandonned it for good. I have since broken down the goal into smaller intervals. AND, if I don't feel like running, I do major incline walking (like 4.0 MPH and full 12% incline). That way, I'm still building up stamina & muscle, and it seems to alleviate the pressure that exists in my head about running.

I started by wanting to run 1 mile, then walking. I ran SLOW. There is no shame in this. My goal was to just keep moving - jogging was fine.

Once I accomplished this, I increased my time. If I felt well, I increased my speed, too. If I didn't, I just went for time. No more than 10% a week. So, if it took me 12 minutes to complete 1 mile, I only ran for 13.2 minutes the next week at the same pace. It felt do-able.

Eventually, I added in outdoor running. I HUGE hurdle for me. 1 mile - again, that was my goal. I was happy with it and found that I enjoyed running outside A LOT. I actually ran further & faster than on my treadmill.

Over the course of the summer, I have increased my time & duration. I generally run 2.5-2.75 miles, but have occaisionally pushed to complete the full 3.1 miles (5k). I added in sprint intervalls, which are a fun way to change up the workout & really do help improve speed if that is your goal.

I guess I only share all of this to say, slow down & if your head isn't in it, break it down into something smaller. Success breeds success. Don't beat yourself up if the C25K isn't for you - - there is more than 1 way to achieve the 5k goal! Do it YOUR way, and enjoy the freedom of doing something you've never done before!! Every run/jog/walk doesn't need to be better than the last. I made that mistake early on & would beat myself up when I was struggling to finish 1 mile after having run 2.5 a couple of days earlier!

Good luck to you. If you want to achieve it, you CAN. Take your time - you are getting healthier with every step.
cherylmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #14  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

You CAN do it. Maybe you're pushing yourself too hard from the get-go and going at a speed that's wrong for you. I always got out of breath quickly when I started out but then I realized that it's not always a race and that it's OKAY to start out at a slower jog.

I quit C25k after Week 3 or so - it wasn't right for me. If a 5k is in your dreams and you really want it, you can make it happen. Running isn't for everyone but I think a lot of folks just don't realize they have it in them to do it.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote