Old 10-29-2010, 02:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 325/125/maintaining

Height: 5'6.5

Default I've shrunk 2 inches!

But not in a good way...in height! I've been 5 foot 9 inches since high school and I decided to measure myself today because in my recent pics I look short to me. Well, I'm just a touch over 5 foot 7 now. What the heck! I know in my late 20's I was still 5'9, now at 40 I shrunk 2 inches? I had to have a hysterectomy at 20 because of cancer...could that have something to do with it? I'm bummed. This changes all my calculations for weight loss and BMI. BLAH!
KatMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 326/274/190

Height: 5'6"

Yikes! A lot of time when people lose a lot of weight they get a bit taller, not sure if its because there isn't as much weighing them down or if they are more confident and stand up straighter. My friend had gastric bypass last year and she is 1/2 inch taller.
Ok so lets see - were you fat in your 20's? Because it could be that you had a significant amount of fat on the bottom fo your feet and now that is gone. I don't really want to say this one....but have you had a bone density test? Since you had the hysto at 20 you probably entered menopause long ago. Possibly you have osteoporosis....because that can make you shrink. But I'd think if you had it to the extent that you were shrinking you'd definately be feeling some pain.
I'm going to go with the fat feet theory!!!
odonnela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:01 PM   #3  

I do have back problems and the back doc mentioned osteoarthritis and said I have degenerative back disease. Hmmm, that's probably it...my back bones are smooshing together. I hadn't been to him in years. Not since he mentioned something about fusing vertebrae together...I wobbled out of there as fast as I could. Lol
Maybe I'll gain height back as I lose more weight? I hope so.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

I was thinking Osteoporosis as well. Talk to your doctor and see if there's something you can do to try and slow or reverse it. I'm not looking forward to the "shrinking years" because I don't have that many inches to lose.
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:37 PM   #5  

I'll talk with my doc the next time I need to go in. I can't be on those weekly-monthly bone pills, they give me really bad flu-like symptoms. But, now I see they have a shot you can get. Sad to think of having osteoporosis at 40. :-(
Old 10-29-2010, 05:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 326/274/190

Please please see your Doctor about the osteoporosis....my grandmother had it so bad she was literally crumbling. Her spine was compressing on itself and she was in unbearable pain. She lived to 85 but the last 3 or so years were not good for her. She never drank milk because she hated it and back then they didn't know the importance of calcium or have supplements. They found the osteoporosis in her 60's and then it was really too late to do anything. I'm not trying to scare you - I just want you to do whatever you can while you are still young. You can still add back bone mass.
odonnela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:19 PM   #7  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Take calcium supplements- at least 600 mg per day but no more than 600 mg at one time because your body can't absorb more than that in one go. My friend has to take a lot cuz of her medical condition (3200 mg/day) and takes one pill with each meal and one with each snack (she eats 5 times a day).
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:38 PM   #8  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

It could have to do with your back. I think it's a good idea to check with your doctor. But on a positive note, I'm one of those who shrunk with my weight gain and grew taller with my loss. I've gained an inch.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:38 PM   #9  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

I posted about this a couple months ago. I have been 5'7" since Jr. High school, and at my last gyno appt. the nurse measured me at 5'6". This was AFTER a 193 pound weight loss. My bone density is fine. The only thing I can think of is I lost weight on top of my head and the bottoms of my feet, (actually my 11 year old son suggested this! ) My hat size is smaller, my shoe size is smaller, even my ear lobes are smaller, so it really makes sence.

It is quite devastating to lose inches. I'm still contemplating going back to losing mode to get my "old" BMI back.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:41 PM   #10  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

You are way too young to have lost that many inches!! It may not feel like its more than an irritation to your weight loss now, but think about the impact 1, 5, 10, 20 years down the line. It could even endanger your ability to walk. Def encourage you to see your dr asap and press him to discuss preventative and possibly reversing matters.

I have osteoart too (since 21 thanks to my obesity), and havent shrunk yet (32 now).

There are many preventative measures you can take to increase bone density, develop better back muscles to hold you upright and help prevent injury.

Also - dont know if you have any pain with it (boy do/did I!), but I have come across the only thing in a decade to help. Non-invasive but not covered by insurance and not very well knownn. Low level laser therapy/cold lasers. Many, many studies show that 80% of people with anything from TMJ to old knee injuries to back pain see pain level improvements. After 7 treatments (I will do a full 10), I am easily in 30-50% less pain.
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:54 PM   #11  
slim endgame

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 4"

You need to have a quick painless bone scan and then you will know if you have osteoporosis or not. Your doctor can order this for you.
Because of Crohns disease I had to take prednisone for years. This caused me to develop osteopenia- a precursor to osteoporosis. I was really bummed. I could not tolerate the bone building therapy it was murder on my stomach! So I did nothing but hope. After getting off of the prednisone (except for a short period this past summer) I had another bone density test done and they told me my bones had recovered and were fine.
I would have this checked out. For your own peace of mind.

goal4agirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:54 PM   #12  

Hmm, you know what, after reading y'alls responses, Im going to go ahead and make a doctors appointment...I've got the insurance, might as well use it. I'll see if I can get a bone density test, too. They'd probably cover it with me having a hysterectomy so young, disks in my back degenerating and don't take hormone replacement or bone building meds. I don't want to end up bent over and crippled.

I was normal weight as a kid, was in the low 200's in my early 20's, up to high 200's in mid 20's then down to 120 in my late 20's...I know I was 5'9 thru all that. Then around 32 and on, I started gaining weight till I reached above 300. Somewhere in between my 30's and now, I've lost those 2 inches.

Do Tums count as calcium? I eat a couple of those everyday.

I've never done the cold laser. I've had the shots they put in my back using a microscopic camera to get it in the right area. They didn't do much. I basically quit doing much because of the pain. Just a lot of sitting around and eating and gaining all the weight back. But, pity party is over and I'm losing this weight, pain or no pain.

I'll update y'all when I get to the doctor. Thanks!
Old 10-30-2010, 12:58 AM   #13  
Out is Through

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMarie View Post
Do Tums count as calcium? I eat a couple of those everyday.
My mother's GP told her to take Tums as a calcium supplement, but I think either vitamin chews or regular ol' horse pills would work better. Most of the pills have Vitamin D in it as well, which helps your body absorb the calcium. Also, if you take too much at one time your body won't use it all.. so if you're using the Tums "trick" make sure to space it out throughout the day. Eating too many at once gives you a horrible stomach ache.. I know this from experience!

As everyone else said, I think it's wise to take advantage of your health insurance and get some tests done.. even if it's just for your peace of mind.

Let us know how it goes!

-Stephy
Creeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:22 PM   #14  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

If Tums doesn't have Vitamin D in it it's not as good as the pills or chews- I take chews each day cuz I hate swallowing large pills. My husband takes the pills cuz he doesn't like the chews
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote