View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 03:02 PM   #10

S/C/G: 241/218/140

Height: 5'4"

1. How accurate have you found the device to be?
I couldn't give you a %, but it's the most accurate method or device I've ever used. This is the first time after decades of fitness efforts that I can realistically and 'accurately' see what is going on with my calorie intake AND output. Estimating calorie output (burn) using spreadsheets, formulas, readings from fitness equipment, and estimating was always inadequate, inaccurate and misleading for me. I'd end up quitting because I thought I should be getting different results based on those inadequate methods. With my bugg I can see quite accurately what I am burning 24 hrs/day. I have no more excuse/justification for my activity level (or lack thereof) throughout the day and expecting better fitness. Made me realize that working out in gym 1 hr/day thinking I burnt "600 calories" on a machine is complete crap, and sets me up for failure mentally. Now, every day I accurately see what I burned and what I ate. I know prior to getting on the weight scale what is going to happen AND WHY. The bugg empowers me to control my calorie inptake/output and has been the only successful behavior feedback tool I've used.

2. If it has not been accurate how accurate have you been in measuring/reporting your food?
Here's a big hint: start actually measuring your food intake, people grossly underestimate by up to 300%. Get real. I don't mind having to input foods; bugg doesn't list many processed/packaged foods like other online programs. I look at it this way: If I'm eating processed foods, I deserve to have to read the box and input numbers. And yes, I'm partial to eating whole foods like zucchini, bell peppers, apples, grass-fed beef. Part of my problem is if I eat processed foods, I overeat and want more. When I eat whole foods, I'm satiated and don't overeat. Again get real: processed food is nowhere near as healthy as whole food.

3. What issues you have run into?
I've periodically had to upgrade software online, it can be frustrating but I've worked through it. Buy your bugg from a retailer that will accept returns for HW/SW issues. SW/HW issues are a fact of life nowadays: deal with it. Make sure it's not a problem with your computer's system SW or internet app. There is no way I'd let it stop me from using a bugg.

Don't buy the bugg if you don't want to pay the $7-$10/mo website fee. But $10/month is worth it if you've struggled with fitness. For the time, energy and money I've wasted on other methods, I can't cheap out on a monthly fee. How much money a money do people spend on fast food? Set your priorities straight.

4. What do you like?
The bugg has also got me the heck out of the gym and doing physical activity in the real world. Stopped relying on those grossly overestimating fitness machines. I love trail running now, my bugg taught me I get incredibly high burn rates do that. I love seeing what else in the real world looks like in terms of burn rate. It makes it fun. Every day I think "how much can I burn today?" with a sense of excitement instead of dread.

5. What do you wish it did?
Wouldn't it be awesome if I didn't have to enter my food and it magically knew my calorie intake? If it gave me an electroshock for constantly abusing my body with fettucini alfredo and potato skins, or for sitting on my butt all day? ;-) Probably good that I have to enter my food: makes me confront the cheesy potato skins and realize there are consequences to my actions.

7. Hints?
Don't wear it too tight or it will bug you and be hard to sleep with. Don't obsessively weight yourself; my weight fluctuates significantly from drinking water, and salt intake and my menstrual cycle cause bloating. The bugg doesn't 'lie' about output, so you shouldn't 'lie' about intake.

My Pros:
• Uncomplicated device
• Easy to use software/user interface/website
• Detailed reports are easy to obtain and view, analyze
• Price is CHEAP: $179 + monthly fee is a helluva lot cheaper than the medical bills of obesity or other failed fitness methods. Keep your priorities straight.
• Software is web based, requires internet connection: who doesn't use the internet? I like using the internet, you must too if you're on this website

My Cons:
• Defined goals: you need to be able to set REALISTIC goals for yourself before you even think of setting bugg goals. I still use a personal trainer to keep me from beating myself up for the 'bad days' and to help me set and reach fitness goals of strength and how to get there.
• Not exactly a fashion accessory: bugg is worn constantly, which sucks for short sleeves, ballgowns, and explaining to your date.
• Not waterproof; would be awesome if you could wear it swimming. The device could be waterproofed; the technology is out there. (Price would go up I spose)
• Can cause a bit of skin irritation (but so does chafing rolls of fat on fat) . Every once in a while I get a tiny bit of rash, probably from the trace amounts of nickel (or whatever) in the sensor. I just be sure to switch arms every day, and use a little OTC hyrdrocortisone creme if necessary.

Heads up on the perception of inaccuracy of burn rate with strength training, partial vs. full body cardio, etc: go online and read impartial research reports on burn rates. Basically, strength training does not yield comparatively high burn rates unless it's full-body functional strength training. You need to use multiple major muscle groups simultaneously to get high burn rates. But strength training in the long run is essential to muscle fitness. And you ultimately cannot achieve prolonged high burn rates unless you increase your muscle fitness. (This is just my layman synopsis, so please don't quote me or argue points with me. Go read the research.)
Gelsomina is offline   Reply With Quote