Old 10-28-2010, 03:32 PM   #1  

Height: 5'9"

Default Attack of the Cheese Plate

So, I've been watching my food for only four days now. Because of that, I've got a lot of food in my house that's still not entirely healthy. One of those things is a large array of fine cheeses and Club crackers.

My boyfriend bought them last week for a wine & cheese night. He spent around $50 on just the cheeses. We ate half last week, and we still have half left.

We discussed dinner today and he said he'd like to finish up the cheese since it was so expensive and he doesn't want it to go bad.

We have some manchego, herbed goat cheese, soft and creamy French cheese and a couple other that aren't currently coming to mind. Then we have regular ol' club crackers.

I am at 580 calories on the day so far. So, if I eat nothing else, how much cheese can I consume? The logistics behind it seem impossible. These cheeses don't come with calories on them. Plus weighing in 5 different cheeses on the scale and mathing it all out is such a daunting task.

It is times like this that makes calorie counting such a PITA.
Amberelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:12 PM   #2  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Maybe instead of "finishing up" the cheese, since with half of it left, it sounds like quite a bit to tackle, enjoy them in moderation with some fresh veggies and a little crusty bread maybe some soup - or roast some red peppers to enjoy with them and some nice olives - a little mediterranean enjoyment ... Have them as a seasoning rather than the main course and stretch them into several days or have a couple of friends over to share with you, etc. Then you're not worrying about the dense calories/fat in one product and can enjoy more than be stressed about it?
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:48 PM   #3  

Height: 5'9"

I really like the roasted red peppers idea! Plus, I'll get more walking in if I go to the grocery store and pick some up. We do already have olives. We also have nuts... which I know are good for me, but I should avoid since they're high in calories. I'll run to the grocery store and get some red peppers, and some grapes and an apple. Then, I'll deceive him by constantly chomping, but doing it on the olives, apple and grapes! So, he won't feel like I'm not enjoying the cheese plate with him. This is good...

Thanks!
Amberelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:57 PM   #4  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Good luck - don't worry on the nuts, either - a serving or a few here and there and they're providing good nutrients/protein/fat. Boy, that does sound good with the grapes, too - good idea! Sounds like a great plan!
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:59 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Oh, that's a tuffie! I love nothing more than some really good cheeses. I vote for measuring and weighing each kind and going online to look for a calorie count. The goat cheese probably has not so many calories as cheddar for example. The soft French cheeses may or may not be high. It's sure worth figuring out. And maybe get some lower cal crackers...or veggfies to use instead of crackers. Cheese is a great protein if you just don't go overboard. Maybe eat a smaller portion of it and really spend time enjoying it and the compay???

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:04 PM   #6  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I hate to tell you this, but I have frozen cheese & it's been okay later. Really. Or how else would I live with my Murray's Cheese habit?
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:20 PM   #7  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

I think you should invite me over and I'll help you eat them and we'll call it a cheat day and start again tomorrow.

I know, I am no help. They just sounds really good right now and manchego is my total favorite!

The idea about mixing it up with low cal veggies is much healthier.
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:20 PM   #8  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

Invite the girls over for another cheese night and they'll finish it off
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

Damn, now I really want cheese for dinner tonight!!!!!!!!!
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:00 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

If you wanna eat 'em, average them out at about 200 cal per cubic inch (or tablespoon) since they're probably not the low-fat type. But yes, you can freeze cheeses. Some of them might change consistency a little but if you toast or grill them they're great. I had a big hunk of brie left over after a party that I cut up into 1 oz pieces and put in a bag in the freezer. I'm slowly working my way through it on oven-grilled cheese/cranberry sauce sandwiches. (Discovered a can of cranberry sauce in the back of the cupboard nearing its expiration date. OK, past its expiration date. But everyone knows those are only pretend for canned items.)
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:44 PM   #11  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronzeager View Post
OK, past its expiration date. But everyone knows those are only pretend for canned items.)
Hahahaa, so true! I think canned food lasts forever basically.
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote