South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 10-26-2010, 03:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 192/150.5/135

Height: 5 feet, 4 inches

Default Insulin resistance-New to SBD

Hi! This is my first post. I discovered this website a few days ago and I love it.

I am 28 years old and was diagnosed in September with insulin resistance. My mother is a Type 2 diabetic who just had gastric bypass surgery. I would really love to get this under control now.

I have lost almost 30 lbs doing a combination of WW and calorie counting (although it's taken three years!) and my endo suggested SBD. I am starting tomorrow.

I have my meals planned for the next week and my shopping list. I plan on stopping by here often for support.

If you have any advice for first timers, I would love to hear it!
Randi34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Join us on Phase I thread and daily chats! Read the book thoroughly! Welcome dear! I've lost 26lbs in nearly two months on this plan! It's a great plan!
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:35 PM   #3  
Thin Girl in Training

S/C/G: 285.5/269.4/180

Height: 5'5"

Well, you're doing great with your meals and shopping list planned, and finding support here. There are some lovely folks around here, and nothing's more motivating than having them as a cheering section. Also, there's so much info on here, and recipes, that you never have to wonder or be bored of what you're eating!

I am 29 and have not been diagnosed as insulin resistent, but I have been operating under the assumption that I am. My dad is also Type II diabetic. So I am dealing with some of the same challenges you are.

South Beach can be a little tough for the first few days, but it gets so much easier, and the cravings go away and so do the pounds! I've only been doing this for 10 weeks, and am down nearly 20lbs, and I'm not hungry ever.
chubbybunny29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:17 PM   #4  

Thank you guys for the warm welcome. I am glad to hear of your success. I am pretty nervous. I could recite the WW plan in my sleep, but I have never done the SBD. New is hard, but I know my body is resisting and I need to change it up.

I look forward to being a part of the community!
Old 10-26-2010, 04:19 PM   #5  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

I was taking Metformin until I went "low carb". I started with a more Atkins approach but found that to be SO hard to maintain. I started SBD about 7 weeks ago, have not had ANY blood sugar issues at all since then and lost 23lbs.

The first two weeks I was SUPER strict. Like obsessively strict, and I actually stayed on Phase I for a few more weeks than necessary because I felt SO good. Recently I added things back and while my weight loss has not slowed down, I notice other things I do not like. Sleepy in the afternoon and some puffyness in my feet and hands.

I have found that it is actually fairly easy plan to stick to once you get the first week over with. I suggest you just stay on top of planning. Because as soon as I do not that is when I have issues. Menus, shopping lists, and pack your lunch and snacks. Even if you do not work outside of the house.

Water helps A LOT. I do not know if it actually helps for weight loss, persay but it for sure helps with cravings and hunger. And if I have a bit to much sugar (fruit for example) I pound down two bottles of water and flush it out. I notice right away if I am not drinking my water enough, cause everything feels "off"

Good luck and welcome
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:19 PM   #6  
Be happy.

I look forward to getting to know you. Be sure to join us in the Daily threads!
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:35 PM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Hi and from a Type II Diabetic who has her BGL under good control. Most doctors heartily endorse South Beach for us folks.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:46 PM   #8  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Read the book but don't follow the recipes in it so much. There's a goldmine of recipes in this forum and we use them often!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:02 PM   #9  
Thin Girl in Training

S/C/G: 285.5/269.4/180

Height: 5'5"

I too was an avid WW'er and still sometimes think of things in "points". This is pretty simple though, I felt like a 'pro' within about 3 weeks.
chubbybunny29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #10  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

You'll LOVE SBD! It's the best- I also have insulin resistance but since I've switched over I always have a fasting blood sugar or like 79-80. My endo put me on metformin not realizing that my last test was 79/80 and I got very ill lol. She took me off of it saying that she thinks I was becoming hypoglycemic and didn't need metformin anymore. If you are taking metformin I would suggest getting your blood sugars tested so the same doesn't happen to you

SBD is the ONLY thing I've been able to consistently stick to.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:22 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

to South Beach, Randi! Make sure you read the book thoroughly before starting on this plan to set yourself up for success. Another suggestion is to plan out your meals for the next week, then go shopping to make sure you'll have everything you'll need. Being prepared and having a plan are the best ways to keep you on track.
Check out our Phase 1 recipes in the recipe section of our forum for some great ideas for yummy meals. Your body won't even know you're on a weightloss plan!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:18 AM   #12  

Thank you for the support!

Last night, I made breakfast, lunch and dinner for myself for today using recipies I found on here. I am stocked with snacks and a meal plan, which makes me feel better knowing I am prepared.

I am taking Metformin too but I am going to talk to my endocrinologist when I go back in November about getting off it.

I have some challenges coming up. My birthday is next week, then Thanksgiving, then I am going to Disney World for 10 days. But I didn't want to put this off. Because I knew that if I kept waiting, it would be January and I could gain 10 lbs.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:24 AM   #13  

Also, I went to the grocery store last night to stock up and for the first time in my life, the fruits were sooooo tempting. You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone, I guess.

I know it will be back. I am just going to solidly commit for the next 14 days.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:17 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 145/125/123

Height: 5'4"

Good for you that you're doing this for your health!

Make sure you eat your on plan snacks. I find that I don't really get hungry, but I start "fading" when I haven't eaten for a while. No energy.

So eat your snacks regularly.

It also helps when you are very strict at first. It helps you get over the cravings quicker and you may see your weight change.
Just Dance Girl is offline   Reply With Quote