Old 10-25-2010, 04:09 AM   #1  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Default Vacation ~ a postlude

So I had that few days away a couple of weeks ago. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and part of the enjoyment was that while by no means slim, I am considerably slimmer than 5 months ago, I can buy human clothes, I can look good, yeh.

Eating was - interesting.

My Plan is 1400 calories and 100g carbs, no wheat bread. Breakfast was fine: the lovely landlady made me lean bacon, eggs and mushrooms every day. Low carb, no wheat, good stuff.

Day 1 ~ walked for 2 hours, didn't have lunch. Only tea rooms or bigmeal pubs in the village, and the 1 supermarket didn't have salads, so I had 4oz chicken meat for dinner. Didn't die of it, felt smug.
Day 2 ~ walked for 2 hours, Decided, deliberately, that instead of trying to find something that fit my WOE and failing, I'd just eat small amounts of whatever was on offer. Lunch was a small curd tart. Bought a sandwich for dinner and ate the complimentary cookies (2) instead. Loved it.... but the carbdevils had got in.
Day 3 ~ walked for 90 minutes. Today was the day I'd planned to have lunch out. I usually plan one Meal into my holidays. Roast pork dinner with tons of veg. and no potatoes. Ice cream, my first dessert in 145 days. It should have been ok but the carbdevils were working. I bought a bar of fudge to take back to the B&B to eat.
Day 4 ~ walked for 2 hours. By the time I got to my lunchstop destination, all the tearoom had was sandwiches. Then when I got back, I bought fish and chips, I'd got to the cramming everything stage. Although to be fair, I only ate the fish, binned the chips.
Day 5 ~ home day. To the breakfast I added a sausage and a hash brown. When I got home I went shopping and bought and ate a whole apple pie (4 person size) and cream. It was Sunday, it was my treat......

Things I observed:
Last year when I went to Spain, I lost weight in a week through making healthy choices of what was offered to me. I'd thought I could do the same again. However, summer salads, lean meat and fruit in Spain were no brainer choices; the same things are not available in a small northern village in autumn. Duh. Research more next time.
Carbs are still the devil for me - I literally could feel myself change from "It's ok to have a small bit of this" (which it is) to cram, cram, cram.
Wheat carbs made me feel ill; but also sluggish and desperate to eat more of them.
I felt panic by last Monday. I knew that it was back to it time but in my carb-addled state, I could not for the life of me think how. I can't describe vividly enough the dreaful sensation of being sucked towards the plughole.

So I went back to low carb (Neris and India's Idiotproof Diet), because that's where I started back in May; I knew that, although it didn't agree with me digestively after a few weeks, because of the luscious, luxurious meats you can eat, I wouldn't feel 'deprived'. This was important, because what I was feeling most of all was, 'I can't be bothered' 'I'm not doing this any more'. I'm amazed at the effect of the wrong carbs on my mood, because I love losing weight. Truly. Only on Monday I didn't.

By Tuesday, I'd got the (TMI) hideous runs that I get with low carb, so had to start reintroducing good ones like oats; but even 2 days strict low carb had done its work, and the rest of last week I ate back on my usual plan. It wasn't always easy, I had the tremendous urge to overeat; when I went shopping foods that had become invisible to me got together and sang to me in 4-part harmony.

However, made it! I went away on Oct. 13th at 174.2; I returned to the scales on Oct. 18th at 179.4; this morning I'm 173.8 - retrieved the water and fat gain of last week, and got further on. Phew.

What makes me glad is that I have had one experience of having to regroup and get back on plan. Prior to that, I'd had 145 days of perfection, and I'd been getting anxious: I'd got all my strategies in place as automatic behaviours - what to do in the face of sudden cake, how to resist when shopping etc - but had no strategy for getting back on the waggon. It was every bit as difficult as I feared it would be BUT - I made it, I worked out how to do it. If/when it happens again, sure it'll still be hard but I'll have previous experience to work with.
Phew.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:20 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Life and experiences are often good teachers. Glad you are back in your 'food comfort zone.'
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:15 PM   #3  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

Its actually a great feeling to know you can have an issue, then go right back to the way things should be. It is part of the whole deal, being able to continue....great job and glad you enjoyed your vaca

I do have to ask though - the whole pie....was it on "auto-pilot"? did you enjoy it? did you feel gross? did you have any emotional stuff during the binge?
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:57 PM   #4  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I enjoyed every crumb of the pie. I ate it over 2 meals and a snack.
It wasn't auto-pilot. I didn't feel gross. It felt like, this is the last day of my holiday, I'll get back to it tomorrow.
I don't approve of feeling like that but it definitely wasn't painful at the time.
What was a blow was that come Monday, all I wanted were 10 more pies; and chips(fries); and chocolate; and...... Monday was a Real Challenge.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:13 PM   #5  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

You did great! Falling down isn't where we fail, it's in not getting back up. You got right back up and got back to it, good job!
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:57 PM   #6  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I loved reading this. How you slipped up, how you dealt with it, how it made you feel. You are so in touch with the mental AND physical aspects of this "game". Very inspiring.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:42 PM   #7  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

Haha glad to hear you enjoyed it! Carb detoxing always kicks my butt. I stay hydrated + eat protein and try to ride the headache out, but oi the cravings.
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:08 PM   #8  
Don't Give Up!

S/C/G: 262/137.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Smile

Rosinante sounds like you had a lovely Holiday! Great Job getting back on plan. Interesting about how your other trip was compared to last one. Good learning experience.

Last edited by VickieLou; 10-25-2010 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Changed spelling.
VickieLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:26 PM   #9  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Sounds like a successful trip. It's a great feeling knowing you will slip right back into healthy habits after vacation hedonism and fun. Where did you go for your trip?
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote