Old 10-21-2010, 07:13 AM   #1  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default not working much

I am 3/4 of the way through my month of induction and exercise.
I have not made much progress.
I am walking or on the treadmill at least 30 min/day, doing hot yoga (aerobic and lots of strength moves) 3 times/week for an hour, and just generally being more active.
Food: here are a couple of typical days. I am making sure I am getting at least 8 glasses of water a day, usually more. Limiting diet pop (schwepps with splenda) to 2 a week, usually when out with friends, so I avoid alcohol.

breakfast, creme custard, 1/2 packet splenda in a serving, which would have 2 eggs and 1/4 cup heavy cream.
snack: celery and/or broccoli with blue cheese dip, or artichoke and asiago dip, (dip 1 g carbs)
lunch: sauerkraut with corned beef and swiss melted on top. ( no added salt to sauerkraut, 1 g carb)
Snack: steamed broccoli with butter
supper:2 lamb chops with asparagus with butter and green salad with peppers, cucumbers, olives and olive oil dressing.
usually no snack at night, but will have more custard if needed.
another day
2 eggs with bacon, nsa ketchup
snack: same
lunch: 2 pieces dark meat chicken with skin, homemade coleslaw with homemade mayo (no sugar) , beans with butter
supper, tuna with celery and mayo on romaine leaves.
if snack needed, veggies and dip as above.

So what am I doing wrong.
Am about 1 pound down from my starting point.
In there was thanskgiving, (a 35 g carb day) and a 3 day trip that was difficult to eat right, but I did it. I did not cheat, but had some trouble with getting enough fat.
I am really stalled, and nothing seems to be helping.
I really want to stick with atkins because my blood sugars are so stable, but I may need to increase meds and go lower fat, low glycemic index calorie counting if I can't budge this weight.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:13 AM   #2  
Ms. Fat Smasher

S/C/G: 338/329/175

Height: 6'0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmad View Post
I am 3/4 of the way through my month of induction and exercise.
I have not made much progress.
I am walking or on the treadmill at least 30 min/day, doing hot yoga (aerobic and lots of strength moves) 3 times/week for an hour, and just generally being more active.
Food: here are a couple of typical days. I am making sure I am getting at least 8 glasses of water a day, usually more. Limiting diet pop (schwepps with splenda) to 2 a week, usually when out with friends, so I avoid alcohol.

breakfast, creme custard, 1/2 packet splenda in a serving, which would have 2 eggs and 1/4 cup heavy cream.
snack: celery and/or broccoli with blue cheese dip, or artichoke and asiago dip, (dip 1 g carbs)
lunch: sauerkraut with corned beef and swiss melted on top. ( no added salt to sauerkraut, 1 g carb)
Snack: steamed broccoli with butter
supper:2 lamb chops with asparagus with butter and green salad with peppers, cucumbers, olives and olive oil dressing.
usually no snack at night, but will have more custard if needed.
another day
2 eggs with bacon, nsa ketchup
lunch: 2 pieces dark meat chicken with skin, homemade coleslaw with homemade mayo (no sugar) , beans with butter
supper, tuna with celery and mayo on romaine leaves.
if snack needed, veggies and dip as above.

So what am I doing wrong.
Am about 1 pound down from my starting point.
In there was thanskgiving, (a 35 g carb day) and a 3 day trip that was difficult to eat right, but I did it. I did not cheat, but had some trouble with getting enough fat.
I am really stalled, and nothing seems to be helping.
I really want to stick with atkins because my blood sugars are so stable, but I may need to increase meds and go lower fat, low glycemic index calorie counting if I can't budge this weight.

I definitely think you are doing great with exercise. I would cut the cream totally out. For your celery dip, stick with the blue cheese. It really sounds like you're eating excess cream/cream cheese (maybe in the artichoke/asiago dip). Sauerkraut has 6g of carbs per cup. There are also a lot of hidden sugars in things...I now not only look at the carb count, but I also see if there is any sugar (in any form) in what I consume. For example, I baked some fish with italian dressing that had 2g of carbs on the label but when I read more carefully I saw that it had sugar in it as well. I then threw the bottle out. Also, beans are a starch and are totally prohibited on induction. Little things like that will stall your weight loss attempts.

Last edited by fatklr; 10-21-2010 at 10:16 AM.
fatklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #3  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

why are beans counted as starch? even lentils?
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #4  
Ms. Fat Smasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy trail View Post
why are beans counted as starch? even lentils?
"Beans are a nutritious, high-carbohydrate, low-fat food. Dr. Robert Atkins, the late best-selling author of several diet books, disagreed. His list of foods that people should eat regularly did not include any beans, and he recommended that you don't eat beans at all in the early stages of his diet plans."

Navy beans have 23.9g of carbohydrates per serving, chickpeas 22.5g, baby lima beans 21.2g, black beans 20.4g, lentils 19.9g, red kidney beans 19.8g, and soybeans 9.9g of carbs per serving.

quote from livestrong.com

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/96...#ixzz130HEAZAO

Last edited by fatklr; 10-21-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:35 AM   #5  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

maybe you could eat edamame'?
to the original poster, i really wish i could help. i feel like such a newb about low carb stuff. i'm following a low fat, low cal diet, but i like to read in the high protein threads. i need to learn this stuff. the more knowledge the better.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #6  
Ms. Fat Smasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy trail View Post
maybe you could eat edamame'?
to the original poster, i really wish i could help. i feel like such a newb about low carb stuff. i'm following a low fat, low cal diet, but i like to read in the high protein threads. i need to learn this stuff. the more knowledge the better.
Edamame has 9g carbs and 8g fiber which equals out to 1g net carb per cup, so it's a better choice...but personally since I'm following Atkins induction, if it advises you not to eat it in the book...I don't. I've lost 17 pounds in 2 weeks, and I know that's going to slow down drastically...but I don't want to add to it by eating foods that are going to cause me to stall and possibly deter me from wanting to stick this through. Just my personal opinion!

Last edited by fatklr; 10-21-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:57 PM   #7  

Height: 5'5"

even green beans are slightly higher carb veggie because like carrots they are higher in sugar... from what i've read

I agree. I would cut the cream/cheese/dips out and stick to induction only veggies.

For fats I would use butter, olive oil, avocado (1/2 per day), eggs etc.

If you were very sedentary before you are likely putting on muscle (which is great, muscle burns more calls than fat when you are sedentary and can help with maintenance) have you been taking your measurements? Have those changed at all?

Also - how are your overall portions? I definitely have days where I eat a lot (but on plan) on atkins and don't lose.

You may try reducing them?

Hang in there!

This is good for you even if you are not losing because of your blood sugar!

(Also, do you have PCOS? I've heard that can make it har4der to lose)
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:57 PM   #8  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

Everyone has some really good suggestions, and you are working so hard that I hope you keep at it.

I do wonder as well if something is preventing you from losing, ie something medical.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:38 AM   #9  
Madeleine

sorry, first time I got to check in since I posted. The beans were green beans, but I didn't realize they weren't on induction. It is the only time lately I have had beans. As to the sauerkraut, I use a kosher type with no sugar curing. Label states 1 carb in 1/4 cup. I love all cabbage stuff and often have cabbage slaw with mayo. I gave up the balsamic vinegars because of the hidden carbs.
Portions have actually gotten smaller over time, I think party from boredom and partly from getting used to smaller portions. I do get hungry when I go longer than planned between meals, so I think my appetite is ok.
I hope to keep trying.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:09 AM   #10  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

Keep at it fatmad! Maybe post your daily meals in the daily accountability thread, other's might pick on something you haven't noticed.

That's the thread that has made me horribly aware of the fact I do not eat enough veggies. I log stuff on my own in a book, but posting it for all to see makes me scrutinize it more.

Even if your not on daily, you can always post updates and talk about what you had ate since
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:30 PM   #11  

Hmm sounds good then. Keep it up!

Any desire to take measurements so you can at least see inches lost even if lbs are not moving?
Old 10-25-2010, 07:23 PM   #12  
Madeleine

Default today

2 hard cooked eggs with mayo for breakfast
snack: baby bel cheese, celery sticks
lunch chicken drumstick and thigh, stir fried zuchinni and scallions
snack broccoli and cauliflower with blue cheese dip
supper: 4 oz steak, steamed spinach with butter, salad with cucumbers, feta, black olives, red pepper and 2 cherry tomatoes with homemade olive oil dressing.
and of course, lots of water.
made good choices today.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:26 AM   #13  

that sounds fantastic.