Old 10-21-2010, 10:48 AM   #1  

Default Help please - seem to have lost motivation

Good Morning!

I have been doing MRC since August 15, 2010. Things were going well until I had gallbladder surgery on Oct. 1. I was in the hospital for 5 days and nights while they did testing/MRI's etc. to make sure it really was a gallbladder issue. During this time I had IV's, couldn't eat or drink at all for 3 days because they kept thinking I would have the surgery. The remaining 2 days I could have only yucky low fat meals. When I got home I had gained 8 pounds! I calmed myself down and realized that a lot of the weight on the scale was from IV's, anesthesia, etc. Buckled down and lost the 8 pounds, but it did take about 2 weeks to do that. Feeling better about that I guess, although I am so frustrated that this surgery and recovery period has zapped my motivation to continue doing well with my eating plan (green). I am unable to do my usual exercise (DVD aerobics) and have just started walking outside since it is a beautiful fall here in Colorado. I can feel that my energy is not even close to what it was before the surgery. My center has been awesome about this, even extended my program for the time I've lost dealing with medical issues. My question for you all is how can I get my motivation back to continue following the program as it needs to be followed? I have been doing the plan OK I guess, but in the evenings I have noticed that I'm hungry, stressed, or something because I have been eating off program snacks. Nothing major, like a granola bar or something, but off program. I have been drinking an HNS, and making the MRC brownie with the hot chocolate also during this time, trying to get it right. Even doing the program from August 15 to Sept. 26 when I went to the hospital I had only lost 10 pounds. I am a very slow loser and this is much better than I could do on my own. I feel this is some sort of emotional issue/frustration/stress that is derailing me right now. I've never had this challenge before I guess, and am unsure of how to move forward. In the 18 months prior to joining MRC I had lost 55 pounds on my own with healthy eating and exercise. I joined MRC because the losses/inches doing it on my own had completely stopped over about the last 3 months, so I knew I needed another plan/support of some kind. I'm a 55 year old woman. I would appreciate any thoughts or advice on how to get myself through this frustration and loss of motivation. Thanks!Everyone have an awesome day!
Debster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:13 AM   #2  
Now UC it! Now U don't!

S/C/G: 210/194/140 Rd 2 beginning 3/7

Height: 5' 3.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debster View Post
Good Morning!

I have been doing MRC since August 15, 2010. Things were going well until I had gallbladder surgery on Oct. 1. I was in the hospital for 5 days and nights while they did testing/MRI's etc. to make sure it really was a gallbladder issue. During this time I had IV's, couldn't eat or drink at all for 3 days because they kept thinking I would have the surgery. The remaining 2 days I could have only yucky low fat meals. When I got home I had gained 8 pounds! I calmed myself down and realized that a lot of the weight on the scale was from IV's, anesthesia, etc. Buckled down and lost the 8 pounds, but it did take about 2 weeks to do that. Feeling better about that I guess, although I am so frustrated that this surgery and recovery period has zapped my motivation to continue doing well with my eating plan (green). I am unable to do my usual exercise (DVD aerobics) and have just started walking outside since it is a beautiful fall here in Colorado. I can feel that my energy is not even close to what it was before the surgery. My center has been awesome about this, even extended my program for the time I've lost dealing with medical issues. My question for you all is how can I get my motivation back to continue following the program as it needs to be followed? I have been doing the plan OK I guess, but in the evenings I have noticed that I'm hungry, stressed, or something because I have been eating off program snacks. Nothing major, like a granola bar or something, but off program. I have been drinking an HNS, and making the MRC brownie with the hot chocolate also during this time, trying to get it right. Even doing the program from August 15 to Sept. 26 when I went to the hospital I had only lost 10 pounds. I am a very slow loser and this is much better than I could do on my own. I feel this is some sort of emotional issue/frustration/stress that is derailing me right now. I've never had this challenge before I guess, and am unsure of how to move forward. In the 18 months prior to joining MRC I had lost 55 pounds on my own with healthy eating and exercise. I joined MRC because the losses/inches doing it on my own had completely stopped over about the last 3 months, so I knew I needed another plan/support of some kind. I'm a 55 year old woman. I would appreciate any thoughts or advice on how to get myself through this frustration and loss of motivation. Thanks!Everyone have an awesome day!

Debster,

When you don't feel well and your energy level is in the tank, motivation is very difficult to find, I know. One possibility is just to focus on your recovery right now, try to eat wisely, but scratch being OP just for the time-being. You can't focus on weight loss while you are not at your best. And if it leaves you constantly stressed to be thinking about weight loss right now, perhaps it might not allow your other healing to occur.

Take a deep breath, relax, recover, and just give yourself a few months and then give it everything you've got.

I hate giving this advice, but then again, I think dealing with your illness and recovery reality rates as the greater need!

However you handle it, I wish you all the best. JUST GET WELL!

--Joy2MeNu

Last edited by Joy2MeNu; 10-21-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Joy2MeNu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I think this is one of those things that's not a matter of motivation but gritting your teeth and pushing through- I totally understand how you feel though- when I'm tired it's hard to find the motivation cuz I'm only motivated to sleep or rest!

I used to say though that it took me an hour a day to workout. 1/2 an hour to talk myself into it, and half an hour to actually workout

Just keep pushing through- you are technically still recovering so it'll probably take some time to feel 100%, but I am sure if you continue to eat healthy and exercise you'll recover faster
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I have been through times of no motivation, I understand how you are feeling right now. My motivation comes from setting a goal and accomplishing it. Be realistic, but don't give up, giving up feels way worse than a slow loss for a little while. As you overcome this low and find the courage to push forward, you will regain your motivation and a great dose of self esteem. NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS.
Sherral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:23 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 222/151/155

Height: 6'1''

I really hope you feel better! I am all but convinced that I am heading for gall-bladder surgery myself. I have an ultrasound scheduled for Wednesday.

One thing I try to remember is that motivation is an emotion, and emotions are not trustworthy! Goals are worth listening to. I got myself into a world of trouble (high blood pressure, depression) by listening to my emotions and eating. Before I began to lose weight, I didn't think of motivation as an emotion. Now, if I have it, great! Bonus! If not, it doesn't change my behavior because my goals are the same. Does that make sense?

You can do this!
hatethesweatpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 264.1/see ticker/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy2MeNu View Post
Debster,

When you don't feel well and your energy level is in the tank, motivation is very difficult to find, I know. One possibility is just to focus on your recovery right now, try to eat wisely, but scratch being OP just for the time-being. You can't focus on weight loss while you are not at your best. And if it leaves you constantly stressed to be thinking about weight loss right now, perhaps it might not allow your other healing to occur.

Take a deep breath, relax, recover, and just give yourself a few months and then give it everything you've got.

I hate giving this advice, but then again, I think dealing with your illness and recovery reality rates as the greater need!

However you handle it, I wish you all the best. JUST GET WELL!

--Joy2MeNu
Debster:
I agree with the advice that Joy2MeNu gave you. I also just had gallbladder surgery about two weeks ago -- I was lucky to have had mine outpatient though. I had called my center and told them about a month before surgery that I was getting sick and wasn't able to eat on program without some pretty severe pain and then called them again when my surgery was scheduled -- they were very supportive and told me that they would put everything on hold since I had been following the plan and doing everything I was supposed to do up until the point I got sick.

What I've done to get back on track was to wait until after I got cleared my surgeon with no restrictions to go back to weigh in at the center. Once I got my go-ahead, I weighed in and then went back and weighed in three days later. I was able to lose 4.5 pounds in three days.

It's hard to get motivated to work on weight loss when you don't feel good and you mostly just don't care. Give yourself a break and let yourself recover. You will make it up when you're feeling better.
Joan
joanie830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:37 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Debi I never heard of that before, motivation is an emotion but it makes so much sense! And you are right, goals are so important, I have mini goals set as well as big goals so I'm keeping my eye on the prize for sure I had my gallbladder out about 4 years ago so I know what you all are going through.. it sure makes eating AFTER the surgery interesting but this plan is perfect for it since it's already lower in fat etc, your body will appreciate it let me tell you
spryng is offline   Reply With Quote