Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-21-2010, 05:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Talking Competition with other runners?

This is mostly written in jest, but do those of you who run/walk for exercise ever begin a mental competition with other runners/walkers or notice that they seem to be doing this?

For example, I'm doing the C25K program currently and I'm still in the alternate run/walk phase. I usually exercise on the indoor track at my school's rec center. The other night I was doing my usual thing, minding my own business, when I realized that another girl exercising seemed to be desperate to stay ahead of me. She started off ahead of me, and when I started the first run I passed her. Seconds after I passed her, I noticed SHE started running. Then I stopped to walk when my lovely iphone app told me to. She proceeded to run a few yards ahead of me and then start walking. This continued the whole workout! lol

At first I knew it had to be my imagination and that she was just doing her usual workout, but after the first few times it started to get slightly amusing and I'm pretty sure I glimpsed some evil looks as I passed her lol. The funny thing is she probably thought I was trying to beat her as well. I'm sure we looked interesting on the track...constantly running and walking "trying" to get ahead of each other.

Anyway, has anyone else ever noticed this? I thought it was pretty funny. I guess it could be used as motivation to work harder!
MedChick87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 184/150/130

Height: 5'2

Lol, I not only notice that, but I do it. I do it during my 5k races, I pick a good paced runner and I stay right behind them the entire race, until right before the finish line where I will speed up to pass them. I also find myself doing this on treadmill when I'm training.
For me it's a great motivating factor, I know you are supposed to be focused on yourself during runs, but I kind of need some competition to keep me going.
totsandfries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:52 PM   #3  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I always feel weird and competitive when I see other humans when I'm out jogging. I force myself to go faster so it looks like I'm a faster runner than I really am until I'm out of eyesight. Fortunately, I live in the middle of nowhere and most of the people I see are over 80 and walking their pet dogs/rabbits.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:36 PM   #4  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Haha...this thread is TOO FUNNY! I see this EVERYDAY!!! Just thought I was crazy...so this is funny to see that while I may still be crazy...people are constantly trying to pass me up! I love it though...I find it to be healthy competition!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Lol I thought I was crazy too for a while...but then it went on just a little bit too long hahaha
MedChick87 is offline   Reply With Quote