Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-21-2010, 11:44 AM   #1  
Keep Trying

S/C/G: 188/188/148

Height: 5'2"

Default what would you call this

What I do sometimes is keep going on my elliptical machine though not at a cardiac level, like a slow elevated heart rate but not so much that I can't keep a convo and definitely no discomfort.

Do you think this counts as anything or just a waste of time? Instead of watching tv sitting there, I do it while on my machine when I'm too tired to do cardio.

Would this be called fat burning?
coad786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:59 AM   #2  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

Well personally I think that any exercise is not worth anything. I think that anything is better than sitting on our butts! But that is just my opinion, I have no idea if that has any basis in fact haha.
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:05 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I mean you'll be burning a few extra calories, but it's not like you will be benefitting as much as if you were huffing and puffing away. My friend who is a trainer always tells me "if you can carry on a conversation then you aren't working out hard enough."
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 189

Height: 5'5

I'm with Beerab. I don't consider it cardio unless I can feel my heart working. And sweating is a good indicator too. Movement of any kind is good of course but I don't count it as working out. For instance, I will garden today but that in my mind does not count. Same as vacuuming and cleaning house. I think you will really notice a difference in your weight loss if you really work your body. For me that was the key. On the elipitacal I never get into the cardio zone unless I have the resistance very high. Climbing stairs is my fat burner.
getittogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:20 PM   #5  
from Here to There...

S/C/G: 256.2 lbs/241.2 lbs/120 lbs

Height: 5'4"

The kinesiologist at the hospital says we should be able to have a conversation (even if a bit out of breath, but not huffing and puffing), but not sing. Activity = burning calories, but mostly you're developing the muscle memory for biking, which is never a bad thing. You might want to increase the tension or incline on your bike to make it a bit more of a work-out.
SeaWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:12 PM   #6  
Keep Trying

S/C/G: 188/188/148

Height: 5'2"

thanks everyone!

I guess it's better than sitting immobile further flattening my backside.

I've lost three pounds this week though keeping calories under control and maybe with whatever exercise I've been able to do. I've not logged it yet because Im not supposed to be weighing in between per my scale addiction hehe. I dont have a ticker because Im new and Im not really sure how long it takes to become 'unnew' hehe.
coad786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:40 AM   #7  
Hailey

S/C/G: 165/160/125

Height: 5'2

You should actually be able to carry on a conversation while doing cardio.
heshleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #8  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by coad786 View Post
thanks everyone!

I guess it's better than sitting immobile further flattening my backside.

I've lost three pounds this week though keeping calories under control and maybe with whatever exercise I've been able to do. I've not logged it yet because Im not supposed to be weighing in between per my scale addiction hehe. I dont have a ticker because Im new and Im not really sure how long it takes to become 'unnew' hehe.
Like I said,I think that anything is better than nothing. I personally have a sweating issue. I HATE to do it. so I started just getting off my butt and doing a few minutes at a time, to start to sweat, and then push it a bit further everyday. I say YAY for you for starting off!
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:18 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 147/see ticker/115

Height: 5'3"

Every little bit of moving and such is good, though. They say to stand up every time you're on the phone at work, for example.
kat999 is offline   Reply With Quote