Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #1  
Knowing I'm worth it!

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Question Trader Joe's products

Our town is getting a Trader Joe's at the end of the month. Yayyyyy! I've read so much about this store but I don't know very much about it. For those that shop at TJ's what are some of the best healthy and low calorie foods that you can recommend? I'm preparing my list and plan of attack!
Teresa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:20 AM   #2  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

Anything LOL. I LOVE TJ's but, they have great hummus, and some really great organic vegetables, gosh and great desserts. Oh wait you said low calorie :P.
Really everything is great from their wine, to their cheeses and meats, to their organic selections. Just look around and check labels. You can go on their website for recipe ideas too.
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:47 AM   #3  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

SO JEALOUS!! I wish we had one a bit closer... I second that they have good wine! They have good produce. The one I go to doesn't have a huge selection, but they have what is in season and their prices are good. They have good soups... next time, I want to check out what they have for chicken broth/stock. I am hoping to find some organic, no/low salt stuff to use so I don't always have to make it from scratch.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:50 AM   #4  

I love Trader Joe's! Unfortunately there is not one in the state where I live, so every time I am close to one I stock up. Below I have listed a few of my favorites.

Fat Free Spicy Black Bean Dip
Habanero and Lime Salsa
Corn and Chile Tomatoless Salsa
Valencia Peanut Butter with Roasted Flaxseeds
Cat Cookies ( they have several flavors, I freeze and use as sweet treats as needed)
Hummus Trio ( in the cooler section)
Veggie and Flaxseed Tortilla Chips
Any and all of their bags on nuts/trail mixes ( just be careful of calorie and serving sizes)

I usually have to purchase items that can either be shipped home and/or do not require refridgeration. I have even purcahsed food from Trader Joe's and taken back to the hotel for dinner! Enjoy your shopping experience! The staff at Trader Joe's are typically very helpful and have a cool, friendly vibe.
RunningRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:41 AM   #5  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

great Pizza
Dried fruit/nuts
muslix cereal
gorganzola crackers
merange cookies
great frozen apps
chilie lime chicken burgers
pot stickers
Shu-mi
miso soup
love the alfredo pasta (NOT LOW CAL) but a good base for adding veggies, shrimp etc
cooked lentles and Beats

they have lots of good stuff. if it is new they will be sampleing lots of stuff
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Bisque in the box!! 100 cals per serving, tastes delicious!!!
fattymcfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm sort of 'meh' about Trader Joe's. They have some decent packaged stuff but it doesn't really warrant frequent trips for me. In my area, their produce is sucky so I avoid it plus a lot of it has a lot of packaging although they have started to reduce that here.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:42 PM   #8  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Nellie, I can see that, we have one in the town I shop in so it is easy to run in and out.
I will also add bread to the list they have by far the best selection of whole grain, wheat free, dairy free, super spruced up bread in our area!
we like the Challah, which reminds me I have to stop in and get one for Friday night :-)
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:53 PM   #9  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

As I just posted the other day on the "Post Your Favorite Trader Joe's Finds" thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
It's always remarkable to me how much I spend in this store, when I'm generally there for just a half-dozen items. I think my friend who says that Trader Joe's is like a cult thing is probably right. The food seems somehow sanctified, like it's got a little halo floating over it -- i.e., if you buy it at Trader Joe's, it's okay to eat. I really was awakened from that belief when a male friend of mine told me it's his junk food go-to. Because I could totally see that.

What I always buy, any time I'm near the store, like I'm some kind of hoarder:

- Almond butter, raw & not-raw, with no salt or sugar
- Peanut butter, same as above, at the best price around (for other brands, I pay extra to have that stuff left out)

Other things that I tend to buy there (which others upthread have mentioned):

- Chevre goat cheese
- Pre-cooked polenta logs
- Cumin, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice (and I wish they'd expand their spice section)
- Eggs are well-priced here for my area, unless the chain stores are having a sale
- Balsamic vinegar
- Bagged salad greens, again well-priced for my area unless on sale elsewhere
- Nuts, dried fruit (this is pretty much my go-to place for that stuff)
- Best frozen green beans I've ever had, but they don't always have them
- Precooked black lentils
- Whole-wheat couscous
- Enormous Swiss milk chocolate bar (for my mother, who loves theirs beyond all others)
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:54 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Oh I pass TJs all the time, it is by my work, its just I rather not stop there for the few things I think are worthy.

One thing I do like is their raw almond butter. It is cheaper there than other places. They also have some decent fair trade dark chocolate bars that I buy.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:34 PM   #11  
No description available.

They have some frozen fire roasted bell peppers that I've never seen anywhere else and make dinner oh-so-easy for me.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:44 PM   #12  
Knowing I'm worth it!

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. I definitely plan to take my time and see what they have to offer. If it will get me from having to go across the street to Walmart for food then they will be a HUGE success.
Teresa66 is offline   Reply With Quote