Old 10-19-2010, 12:30 AM   #1  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

Default Positive self-talk

Do you use any positive self-talk to motivate yourself to keep on plan and reach your goals?

On the weekend, my mom made a big chocolate cake (my trigger food), and I had a few bites, and then she sat the cake in front of me while everyone was having seconds. I almost had another piece, but the words were going through my head saying you are full, you don't need that piece, you can do this. Thinking positive thoughts helped me to stay on plan and resist the urge to binge on that second piece.

Do you ever talk to yourself like that? I think that using negative self-talk really hurts my progress and self-esteem, so I almost always use positive thoughts and affirmations. Have you ever heard that if you think and believe it, then you can be it. I find that my willpower is slowly becoming stronger, mostly because I am feeling more in control of my eating and thought processes. Anyone else go through this process?

Last edited by Jojo381972; 10-19-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:37 AM   #2  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

totally agree.

it helps if i have to be accountable to someone else. i've been counting binge free days. if i mess up, i have to tell them. and start at day 1.
it's going pretty well. since sept.3.
there's days like today, i think i ate a few too many nuts. but that's just extra cals. emotionally most days i feel good.
when i'm stressed i read/post on here.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:45 AM   #3  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

also, it really helps the self esteem to push yourself in workouts. i really like cathe friedrich. she looks so lean, and petite. she lifts bar bells and has tons of energy. i look at her and go, well if she can, i can try! and it's amazing what i can do that i would think was too hard. i dont feel bad if i need to modify. i know if i keep training, eventually i could do it.
for those that aren't familar with her. she has a website and has many videos on u tube.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:40 AM   #4  
it IS all about me!!!

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/165ish

Height: 5'8"

So far, the only one who has tempted me with forbidden treats is myself. Sadly, she knows her way around my defenses. Fortunately, she knows I don't care about sweets and is too lazy to make mashed taters late at night when my defenses are down.

BTW, I'd be having a serious heart-to-heart with my mom if she did that to me. Just sayin'.
RobinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:42 AM   #5  
Finally Losing Myself

S/C/G: SW 278/ CW see ticker/ GW 150

Height: 5'5

Yes yes yes!!!! I talk to myself allowed with self talk. I have even said "What are you doing? Spit that in the trash! You don't need it" And I will spit it out into the trash can.

Getting over the must have seconds took awhile for me. I have always had second helpings as long as I remember. So when I started my journey I would finish my 1 and only helping and sometimes just say aloud "I want seconds but I don't need seconds" and I would avoid going back to the area where the pots and pans were for a good while. It was a struggle at first but I got used to it and now I am content with 1 serving. I am the queen of leaving a food area or pushing away plates. I will even pile the table trash (straw paper and used napkin) into my half eaten plate at a restaurant to keep me from over eating when I know I had enough. May seem weird but it helps me.

I also self talk during a long run or hard workout. Telling myself I can do it and to push it.
Nikki6kidsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:16 AM   #6  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

I'm trying to do this more. Positive self talk definitely works!
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:20 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Yes, I do too. Alot of it for me is telling myself why I shouldn't eat tempting food. Kind of a process in my head.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:04 AM   #8  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Yes, in a different way. I'm the tallest (at 5'4"!!) woman in my family by about a half foot, so I've always had this bizarre amazon woman complex. It's why I couldn't see that I was tiny when I wore a size 3 in college. Now my self-talk has turned from amazon woman to loving myself at this size. I'm very happy where I am and I remind myself often of how far I've come.

I'm tiny darnit! I am not the amazon woman! And even if I was tall...gosh, tall is beautiful! Most women would love to be tall!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #9  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I do it a lot when I work out. I think of my sister there telling me: "you can do this!" "You gotta push yourself a little to see improvement"
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #10  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

I had a very ingrained, horrible habit from childhood of super negative self talk.

Over the last 5 years I have worked hard to notice when Im doing the negative self talk and turn it into positive self talk.

Nowadays there is often just positive, with no negative as the impetus.

After a workout, good or bad, lazy or vigorous, I now hear myself automatically cheering myself on "way to go! you woke up at 6am and actually moved around!" or "that was a hard one, and you kept up, you kick butt!"

I dont do it with food as much, but I do have a little positive self talk intervention when I start with the "you are fat" on the days I feel ick or bloated. I have to actually talk myself back into reality sometimes: "you arent fat, its ok to feel fat today, take a nice walk at lunch, lay off the sodium and hydrate. tomorrow will be back to normal. dont freak out. you worked hard for this body and you love it. nooooow on with the day"

sometimes I do feel a little nuts with all the convo in my head, but whatever
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:29 PM   #11  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD View Post
BTW, I'd be having a serious heart-to-heart with my mom if she did that to me. Just sayin'.
Good point! My sister in-law who was sitting at the table, told my mom to remove the cake from the table, and that they should be helping me and not sabotaging me by placing the cake in front of my face. It worked when they removed it from the table. It is the second weekend I ate at my mom's where she had made a cake. I said no, the first week, but couldn't say no the second week. I don't think I'll eat there as often if she has cake every weekend.
--

It is good to hear that others also use positive self-talk.

xty: I know what you mean, I grew up with that negative self-talk and have really tried to turn it around into positive thoughts. I always believe that we have to be our own cheerleader and our worst critic. Good to hear that you have turned your negative self-talk into something more positive. Of course, I know what you mean about the odd negative self talk, but I don't find that helps me at all. Forgiving myself helps me move forward and become more positive.

Eliana: Congrats on your big loss thus far! That is so awesome that you have changed your entire view of yourself from amazon to tiny. I remember my dad and others used to say that I was built like a brick ****house.' I never found it complimentary, but I think he meant that I was built strong, but also amazon like. lol. I'd love to get to when people call me thin or small (I'll even take medium)

Nikki6kidsmom: It sounds like you are doing the exact thing that I do. When I say, 'you don't need that second helping,' 'you are full,' etc.. I find it has helped me so much in recent weeks. Congrats on getting to the not having seconds or overeating.

BeverlyJoy, SCraver, Katytrail, matt_h: Glad to hear that you also use positive self-talk to push yourself further, and motivate yourself. I figure that if we don't do it, then often no one else will push us.
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:56 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Yes, I absolutely do positive self-talk all the time. Early on, when I went to the grocery store I used to actually avert my eyes when I walked through the candy and baked good sections, and when I walked into the break room at work, I would tell myself "no, you don't eat that stuff," sometimes outloud.

Word to the wise-- if you have trouble with chocolate cake, the easiest thing of all might be to avoid even taking a single bite, and to really try to distance yourself from it, at least for a while.

I used to be an obsessive craver-- proximity to a chocolate cake was just awful and even worse if I had a few bites. Now, it doesn't bother me so much because I put that stuff on a permanent "no" list and pretty much never eat it, but even now, sometimes if I'm at a table and there is something I don't want to eat, I cover it with a napkin-- it's weird that it makes any difference, but it actually helps.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:04 AM   #13  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Yup! WW also promotes it at meetings. Very important.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote