Old 10-14-2010, 12:25 PM   #1  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

Question Appetite and Weightloss?

So, it's been almost a month since I've been calorie counting and I am losing weight at a steady pace I am happy with.

However, i've noticed I haven't been nearly as hungry lately. In fact, some days it's hard to go above 1500 calories.

Does this mean my metabloism has adjusted to the new calorie level?

Does this mean my body is burning fat reserves?

Should I be concerned?

I aim for 1500 calories a day, and lately have been allowing myself a bit more on weekends, so I've started calorie cycling with two 1200 days, two 1500 days, one 1300 day, one 1800 day and one 2000 day.

As a general note, even when I was eating 2000-2500 calories a day before I started "dieting" I was never one with a huge appetitie. I would eat 1/2 or 1/4 of what others would eat. BUt I would get hungry every 2 hours. I don't want to be at a level of eating a quarter of a sandwich and being full and then wanting to eat 5 carrots an hour later. It's just...weird. I dunno. *shrugs*

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:38 PM   #2  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

i just started cc too. less than a week. i've noticed i'm less hungry too. i'm also more picky about what goes in,this is temporary. i guess i'm more aware of the cal and fat in foods.
and if you're eating veggies and other low cal stuff i see your point. i can be happy on 1200cal too.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:49 PM   #3  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

it probobly means you are getting value from your calories vs junk and empty calories.
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:50 PM   #4  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

When I was young, I thought if I ate less, my stomach would shrink, b/c after a while, I was satisfied on less food. Then recently, I stubbled across an article about myths and the size of the stomach. It doesn't shrink, but rather, you stomach changes what it thinks of as "full".

I have to see if I can find the article...

I THINK it was this one.

2. Myth or Fact: If you cut down on your food intake, you'll eventually shrink your stomach so you won't be as hungry.
Answer: Myth. Once you are an adult, your stomach pretty much remains the same size -- unless you have surgery to intentionally make it smaller. Eating less won't shrink your stomach, says Moyad, but it can help to reset your "appetite thermostat" so you won't feel as hungry, and it may be easier to stick with your eating plan.

Last edited by SCraver; 10-14-2010 at 12:50 PM.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:14 PM   #5  
Yogini

Thanks everyone - and great link SCraver!

I always feel like my stomach has to be growling for me to lose weight...so now that I am feeling staisfied on less, I am panicking!

Sounds like it's probably nothing and hopefully I will continue to lose!
Old 10-14-2010, 03:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/176/140

I've definitely noticed a difference in my appetite! I'm a CC too. I think you kind of get used to the amount of food/calories you eat and that's satisfying.

Thanks for the link scraver! Interesting!
LindseyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:57 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 230/220/190

Height: 5 foot six

I've noticed this, too... I think you are just re-training your palate and expectations. It's a very hard thing to do, but it's entirely possible. I only get hungrier now if I've eaten too many carbs during the day or if I've exercised a lot.
damngina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:17 AM   #8  
Yogini

Well...all this worry about it and I weighed this morning and haven't lost since last week. My offical weigh-in day is tomorrow, so I guess I have one more chance to shed some water weight or something so we'll see. My ring is a bit tight today, so it could be contributing.

Maybe I need to rethink my calorie cycling schedule or try eating at matainence levels for a week and then go back? Shake things up a bit?
Old 10-15-2010, 10:41 AM   #9  
I CAN do this!

do you need to exercise more or higher intensity? or do you think you are doing well in that dept. ?
btw i think the wt you are at is fine. i'm not sure i can even get down to that again myself. but if i did, that would be great. so congrats to you. you're doing it!
Old 10-15-2010, 11:08 AM   #10  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildflower View Post
Well...all this worry about it and I weighed this morning and haven't lost since last week. My offical weigh-in day is tomorrow, so I guess I have one more chance to shed some water weight or something so we'll see. My ring is a bit tight today, so it could be contributing.

Maybe I need to rethink my calorie cycling schedule or try eating at matainence levels for a week and then go back? Shake things up a bit?
I wouldn't worry too much about this one week. I mean - you didn't go up and you could see a big drop next week. Weight is a funny thing. I would give it a few weeks before you change things up. If you aren't noticing a downward trend over time, then you need to change. Especially since you are feeling satisfied with what you are eating. I say give it another week and see what happens!
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:26 PM   #11  
Yogini

Thank to you both!

Katy, I could step my excercise up. We've had one car in the shop for 3 weeks, so I haven't been able to get to the gym after work. I did make it to yoga last week though (90 minutes of advanced iyengar - it's very challenging) and I work in a major city where I have a walking commute. I walk about 2 miles per day. Thanks for saying my current weight seems fine. I am pretty happy with my 8 lb loss and was thinking of just staying here. But I really want to get down in the 130's and maybe under for my upcoming wedding next year.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:45 PM   #12  
I CAN do this!

we have to stop telling ourselves we HAVE to go to the gym. we don't have to. it may be easier, more fun. but in the meantime, there's so many exercises you could do at home, or like you said extra walking/running outside.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #13  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

The reason you are no longer feeling hungry is because your grehnlin levels have fallen in response to your decreased caloric intake. Grehnlin is the hormone responsible for mking you feel hungry. This goes hand in hand with out-of whack thyroid levels, rising cortisol, leptin, etc..... it is to be xpected when you are in a caloric deficit (meaning its "normal" when youre dieting) but theat still doesnt mean its a good thing
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:04 PM   #14  
Yogini

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy trail View Post
we have to stop telling ourselves we HAVE to go to the gym. we don't have to. it may be easier, more fun. but in the meantime, there's so many exercises you could do at home, or like you said extra walking/running outside.

Totally agree. Walking is a great excercise that you can (hopefully!) do for life. I am a big fan of it.