Old 10-12-2010, 02:28 PM   #1  
Now Loading Healthy ME

S/C/G: 265/262/187

Height: 5'7"

Default Something I found about portion sizes

So I like calorie counting but I do NOT weigh food; I'm sorry I don't have the time or the patience and I don't even cook like that, so...I have been looking for some sort of guide for portion sizes relative to weight so I can enter the correct one in my calorie-counting program and I found one!

WebMd portion size guide

I pretty much trust WebMd and this looks about right...hope somebody else can benefit from it!
Fit4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 255/144 and maintaining

Height: 5'9

Well, I don't have the time/patience to get fat again and have to lose the weight all over again lol .

To be honest, it's so much easier for *me* to just weigh it in grams and convert to calories later while I'm cooking/preparing, rather than having to figure out if something looks more like a hockey puck or a golf ball and then look up the calories for that amount anyway (since I don't use any sort of program to enter my food journal). However, everyone's different and I'm sure this info will help others who prefer guesstimating and what not, so thanks for posting. I just wanted to point out that us "weighers" are not nutso hehe. I'll definitely be using this when I go out to eat at a restaurant or a friend's house, though!

Oh and this is what really got me into weighing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

Last edited by jkinboston89; 10-12-2010 at 05:51 PM.
jkinboston89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

it's nice to get an idea, but unless you have a deck of cards around all the time it's still easy to have more than you think. I also thought it would be a pain in the butt to weigh everything, but it really is a big eye opener... like how much 3oz of chicken really is or a 2T serving of nut butter. Once you get portions down for must of the stuff you eat you can start eyeballing the portions.

jkinboston89, Just watched that video, another eye opener.. I admit I use cups and spoons for cereal and some other things. :O

Last edited by ringmaster; 10-12-2010 at 06:04 PM.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:17 PM   #4  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

I too weigh my food and do portions by counting items. It is so easy to overestemate and thus eat way more than you think you are eating.
Fit,
you may find that guestemating is a great way to start and get portions under control but in the long run weighing food is going to be your friend.
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:26 PM   #5  
Now Loading Healthy ME

Thanks ladies, I don't think anybody is nutso but at this time in my life, I just don't have time to weight things and then prepare them and then cook them. I barely have time to cook (I'm up 16 hours a day as is between working out, school and work) and guesstimating seems to be doing okay for me. Perhaps when I graduate I'll have more time.

Anyway, I didn't mean to come off as facetious or mocking, I just thought this was cool.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/ticker/115

Height: 4'10"

I kinda had to post about the video that jkin posted. I know that weighing is going to be more accurate than measuring cups, but, number one, I didnt care for the lady's tone in the video (she sounded awfully condescending), and 2 ,her numbers didnt seem to be that accurate. The difference should not be THAT big. So I duplicated her experiment.

First off, someone who is really trying to lose weight, whether they use a scale or not is not going to be tossing in heaping cups of stuff. Those who are serious enough to go out and buy a scale, are probably already serious enough to know that you need to use level cups, not heaping ones.
Secondly, the amount she showed as the "proper" cup was actually way below the line of the cup, which on both cups I tried was closer to 33 g, not 40. Just to the lip of the cup on both my measuring cups turned out to be 41 grams. Only 1 g over the 40g serving size.

Guess the lady's condescending tone really grated on me, so I had to check it out. Wasnt tryin to hijack the thread. :-)
TornadoSiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:29 AM   #7  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Tornado - I am shocked, shocked mind you that something posted on YouTube could be inaccurate (hoping my sarcasm is coming across). Good for you for your skepticism, scientific approach, and reporting to us.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #8  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoSiren View Post
I kinda had to post about the video that jkin posted. I know that weighing is going to be more accurate than measuring cups, but, number one, I didnt care for the lady's tone in the video (she sounded awfully condescending), and 2 ,her numbers didnt seem to be that accurate. The difference should not be THAT big. So I duplicated her experiment.

First off, someone who is really trying to lose weight, whether they use a scale or not is not going to be tossing in heaping cups of stuff. Those who are serious enough to go out and buy a scale, are probably already serious enough to know that you need to use level cups, not heaping ones.
Secondly, the amount she showed as the "proper" cup was actually way below the line of the cup, which on both cups I tried was closer to 33 g, not 40. Just to the lip of the cup on both my measuring cups turned out to be 41 grams. Only 1 g over the 40g serving size.

Guess the lady's condescending tone really grated on me, so I had to check it out. Wasnt tryin to hijack the thread. :-)
I don't have a scale, though I want one. Measuring is working fine for me right now. I may eventually get that food scale when my loss slows down but it was really the second helpings that were getting me, not a few calories from over-scooping.I don't even over-scoop when I measure b/c that's cheating yourself so I prefer under-scooping, just in case.

Knowing what a portion size looks like is vital information when you are going out to eat at a place that doesn't have their nutritional info handy or when someone else is cooking for you. When it's just not feasible to weigh, it's good to be able to accurately eye-ball a portion.

Last edited by 4star; 10-13-2010 at 11:00 AM.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:09 AM   #9  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

Fit4Lyfe - I think that reference is really helpful.

I understand the benefits of weighing food and that's all well and good to do at home. However, I think being able to eyeball portion sizes is a good life skill. I don't personally plan to avoid foods at parties, resturaunts or conferences for the rest of my life because I can't weigh and precisely track their calories. I would like to be able to take a look and know roughly know how much I am eating so I can make sure I don't overeat and can balance with the rest of my day.

I am going to a conference this afternoon and they always have cheese, crackers and veggies out as a snack. The reference regarding a serving of cheese being about 3 dice was really helpful for me.

I also found this one the other day which I thought I'd share...

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-does-20...-look-like.htm
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:23 PM   #10  
Now Loading Healthy ME

Thanks, you know I also thought that lady was a bit off and it was more of a scare tactic than anything else. Wildflower, like you, my meetings often involve some snackage and we had catered lunch yesterday and I feel I was able to eyeball my way around a sticky situation.

IDK I just want this to be a lifestyle change, not a diet and I know in the long run, I wont be able to keep whipping out a kitchen scale and carefully weighing everything; I am going to law school in the next two years and I know that will involve eating on the go and a lot of work, so I want to learn the tools I need now to combat what I know will be a very hectic next couple of years.

Thanks to those who understood where I was coming from.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:37 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 272/258.4/150

Height: 5' 5.5"

I think the tone of condescension is possibly a misunderstanding. Leigh Peele (the lady in the video) is INCREDIBLY knowledgeable and kind. Check out her blog. I have her Fat Loss Troubleshoot book and it's very informative and really opened my eyes to a lot of things.
thewronggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:30 PM   #12  
Never Give Up

S/C/G: 183/162/130

Height: 5'8"

Ok, I watched the video...very cool! Where do I get one of these food scales???
ToriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:43 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 257/250/112

Height: 5'4.5

I have no idea how to convert calories, I usually just buy foods which already have the calories on the packet then divide depending on how much I eat of it, the cup thing I'm not sure about because I'm always wondering what size of cup? I get confused alot think I'll have to figure all this out :S This'll be difficult
candy love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:19 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 255/144 and maintaining

Height: 5'9

I hope I didn't offend you, fit4lyfe and others. I don't want you to feel that I don't understand you.

But for me, weighing food isn't a "diet," and it's just not that hard for me to put something on a scale before I put it on my plate. Like I said, the guide you posted would be very helpful at restaurants or other events.

Still, for those who (like me! )became obese because of portion control issues, weighing is a really great tool. I never ate big macs, I never ate ho hos (not saying you or anyone else did!). I LITERALLY became obese because I did not understand what a normal serving is. I still have trouble figuring it out. I'm just not that great with guesstimating. Sometimes I have to do it, but in the comfort of my own home, its really nice to just take the guess work out.

I don't want people to think I sit at home weighing my food all day LOL. I know busy and I commiserate with you. I go to school full time, too. 6 classes. I also am a research assistant, do an internship, have a family, and a 2 hour daily commute (ughh). I TOTALLY understand wanting to make food a simple thing. The thing is, I bring my food with me from home, so I don't do on-the-go at restaurants or anything like that, so maybe that's why I feel like the eyeballing thing just doesn't apply to me, and I can't be alone on that. I also bring my own stuff for meetings instead of snacking on the stuff everyone else eats. I just weigh my stuff out, wrap it up, and bring it with me. So it just makes sense for me to weigh it out since I can.

Anyway, I definitely think this could help people, but there's nothing wrong with having to weigh either and I just wanted to make sure that was clear. Just my 2 cents, though. I certainly don't mean to offend anyone. To each her own!

Last edited by jkinboston89; 10-13-2010 at 03:50 PM.
jkinboston89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:19 PM   #15  

S/C/G: Start 7/11/10

Height: 5' 10"

I can see where the reference way of eating can be helpful in maintenance, but not when its time to lose. Not for me, anyway. I need to have progress. I know I can over do it and quick. a digital scale is invaluable.Like a few hours ago I made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I didn't want to put too much peanut butter on it but I was hard and fast that it had to be on serviing. What I did was placed the bread and spoon on the scale. Hit tare when I had as much as I wanted a (around 38 grams -- a serving is 33 grams) made my sandwich and was on my way.

I think when you are trying to lose weight, you need concrete perspective and numbers. As I said, for ME I need something concrete. Guessimation will have its place when I am 194lbs. Even then I would still measure and weight 95% of the time. If I didn't have issues with portions, I would be on this site right now and have the issues with food I have today.

Last edited by one day at a time; 10-13-2010 at 07:21 PM.
one day at a time is offline   Reply With Quote