South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 10-11-2010, 04:51 PM   #1  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

Default Hot Chocolate?

Now its getting colder I am realizing I am going to be wanting some hot chocolate. I'm wondering if anyone makes a homemade version that maybe uses cocoa powder + Splenda? If not I am still open to suggestions on how to make it bit more healthier.
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 199/194/152

Height: 5'9"

I do that for chocolate milk. I use undutched cocoa powder. Dutching (a way the chocolate is processed) takes out a lot of the good stuff in cocoa, like greatly reduces its anti-oxidants. The undutched versions are also much more flavorful so you need less for your hot chocolate.

Personally, I use Scharffenberger cocoa. I heat up a little milk, mix in the cocoa and splenda, and after that's dissolved, add additional milk and microwave. If I try to mix the cocoa into all the milk, it has a much harder time breaking down and you have those little irritating lumps in your hot chocolate. The cocoa powder is only like 30 calories or so per tablespoon and I only use 1 tablespoon---with the high quality cocoa powder, I find that 1 tablespoon cocoa powder per 1 cup of milk is a good ratio.

I've heard that Hershey's has a non-dutched version -- it's call natural cocoa powder, so that may be more common in your mainstream grocery stores. Otherwise, you may have to go a more specialty or high-end natural food store like Whole Foods to find undutched cocoa powder.
Lindsey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: S/C/G: 282/174/155

Height: 5" 6"

I like the vanilla almond milk with (1 cup 40 cals) and hersheys syrup with splenda
barb
boxermom78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 153/153/120

Height: 5'3

I start with a cup of milk and warm it up in the mircrowave. Then I add a T of cocoa and a T of Splenda. My dd loves it and so do I!
redautumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #5  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey79 View Post
I do that for chocolate milk. I use undutched cocoa powder. Dutching (a way the chocolate is processed) takes out a lot of the good stuff in cocoa, like greatly reduces its anti-oxidants. The undutched versions are also much more flavorful so you need less for your hot chocolate.

Personally, I use Scharffenberger cocoa. I heat up a little milk, mix in the cocoa and splenda, and after that's dissolved, add additional milk and microwave. If I try to mix the cocoa into all the milk, it has a much harder time breaking down and you have those little irritating lumps in your hot chocolate. The cocoa powder is only like 30 calories or so per tablespoon and I only use 1 tablespoon---with the high quality cocoa powder, I find that 1 tablespoon cocoa powder per 1 cup of milk is a good ratio.

I've heard that Hershey's has a non-dutched version -- it's call natural cocoa powder, so that may be more common in your mainstream grocery stores. Otherwise, you may have to go a more specialty or high-end natural food store like Whole Foods to find undutched cocoa powder.
the Hershey's regular cocoa powder is a non-alkalized cocoa powder. The Special Dark is dutch processed (alkalized)

Last edited by zeffryn; 10-12-2010 at 03:51 PM.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:14 PM   #6  
Be happy.

I haven't fixed it for a while, but I enjoyed this recipe last winter. (Didn't always have a vanilla bean, but it was OK without one.)
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:15 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

I saw some sugar-free hot cocoa mix at Sams the other day but I didn't pick it up to look at the ingredients. That might be an option, though.
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote