Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-10-2010, 04:13 PM   #1  
Fighting to be Fit

Height: 5'3.5" Age: 22

Default Protein Powder.. *Gag*

I thought it would be a good idea to drink a protein shake every day before my workout, so while at the store the other day, I bought a Soy Protein Powder in "vanilla" flavor. I'm trying it for the first time now, and may I just say BLEH!! I mixed it with some Almond Milk, and even added a few frozen strawberries in the blender, but the "vanilla" seems to overpower the fruit. It's seriously gag worthy. Any suggestions on making Protein shakes edible?
UrthWurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/?/155 High:254

Height: 5'5"

I tried a soy protein powder that was really gross once too! Now I only buy 100% Whey protein powder and I've tried 2 different brands and liked both.

Since you've already purchased yours though and don't want it to go to waste focus on pairing it with strong flavored fruits, like raspberries, maybe that will help to overpower the vanilla flavor. My favorite additive is frozen mixed berries (raspberry, blackberry & blueberry). Another favorite of mine is banana with peanut butter, both of those have a pretty strong flavor that might work out. Also try some pumpkin, it's SUPER healthy for you! Just make sure you buy the pure pumpkin and not the pumpkin pie mix.
Bombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:06 PM   #3  
Es ist ein neuer Tag!

S/C/G: Highest 280+

Height: 5' 7"

I use Gold Standard Whey Protein and really like it. It mixes up easy and has good flavor. I have two flavors I use regularly - Chocolate and Vanilla Ice cream. There are a variety of ways you can change the flavors. I use sugar free jello pudding mix to change up the flavors.
MamaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I like Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard also. If you want soy alot of people like Spirutein...I didn't really like it though
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:00 PM   #5  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

Have you thought of trying a different flavour. I sometimes drink whey protein in chocolate flavor from GNC. I mix it with water in a blender, and it tastes quite good. I think you need to try a variety of flavors and brands until you find something you like. Good luck!
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:29 PM   #6  

I also hate protein powder. But I've found that adding ice cubes helps me for some reason. I guess the colder it is the less I taste it? Just finished my EAS and am now on Designer Whey. Both chocolate. I like the latter better and it mixes better but I still don't really like it. Best way is in the blender with frozen banana, ice, and vanilla soymilk. Unfortunately I don't usually want to add that many calories and just suffer through drinking it with water.

Also, you mentioned drinking them before workouts? They're best for after working out so your muscles can recover.
Remisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 326/274/190

Height: 5'6"

Oh you have to start with the right protein powder! Some of them are sinfully delicious - and I am not some wierdo who thinks gross things are good LOL. I have never found a soy one that is not nasty.
I have tried a LOT of powders because I was going to have gastric bypass. Some of them are literally revolting - smell bad and taste worse. But some are SO good its unreal! I will say that everyones tastes are different. Matrix and Nectar are 2 very popular brands but I think they are so gross. I personally like the Lean Dessert brand for powder, I get the chocolate and the vanilla. I like to do them in the blender with ice and add fruit or other yummies. You can add cocoa powder, SF pudding powder, SF syrups, extracts. One of my favorites is a scoop of Lean Dessert vanilla, 8 oz water and a couple cups of frozen strawberries - blend it all up and its like a ice cream shake. I also like chocolate powder, 1 tbs SF choc pudding mix, 1 tbs cocoa powder and some grated orange rind blendered with ice and water. Lean Dessert also has a cinnamon roll powder thats good but the only thing I have figured out to make with it is a pumpkin shake - powder, water, 1 tbs vanilla SF pudding powder, ice, 1/4 cup can pumpkin and some pie spice - yum. The pudding powder reacts with the whey and thickens the shake. Chocolate protein powder is also really good mixed into SF hot cocoa but you have to be careful you do not over heat the protein or it clumps. There is also some good ready to drink shakes - I like Oh Yeah a lot and EAS has a good chocolate one. Bariatric Eating has a really good chai one but its expensive. You want to go for whey isolate protein vs whey concentrate - not only does our body absorb it better - but it tastes a LOT better than soy. Of course if you are vegan you won't want whey anything but if you are a milk drinking vegetarian its fine. Whey concentrate is a fine product - Matrix and Nectar are concentrate, I just do not like the taste so I don't know if that means I don't like concentrate or I just don't like those brands (same manufacturer). If you have not had weight loss surgery and do not have an altered digestive system its not as important to stick to the more easily absorbed whey isolate, you could do the concentrate. I do avoid collagen protein because #1 its not absobed as well and #2 its the connective tissue between muscle and bones and the thought of drinking that is freakin gross. "Bullets" are usually collagen. I am NOT an expert I just tried a lot of powders and protein shakes when I was going to have the surgery and I read a lot about different types. I do still drink them because they are yummy and will fill you up for a couple hours for not a ton of calories.

SF = Sugar Free

Last edited by odonnela; 10-21-2010 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Typos!
odonnela is offline   Reply With Quote