Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-07-2010, 07:44 AM   #1  

Default Simple exercises

I'm looking for a simple exercise. Something I can do without thinking too much and will be easy to make into a habit.

I guess something like jogging or yoga. What else is there?
EyePatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 155/122.6/105

Height: 5'2"

What kind of exercise are you looking for? Cardio?

Jogging is my favorite thing to do for exercise (I saw and felt results very quickly, and I can zone out and think about other things while I'm exercising), but biking, swimming, kayaking, and hiking are also high on the list (although kayaking might not be "simple" if you don't have a kayak in the first place). Those are the things that initially pop into my mind. I know some people also swear by things like spinning and zumba, classes you can take at a gym. I prefer being outside, though!

I think the key is to find something that you actually enjoy, as you're more likely to stay on track that way, so don't be afraid to try out a few different things. That being said, it can take a while before any exercise becomes enjoyable, so I'd recommend sticking with something for at least two weeks before deciding it's definitely not for you. For example, I absolutely hated biking when I first tried it because I found it difficult. As I've gotten in better shape and the biking's gotten easier, I've come to actually like it.

I think it's also helpful to figure out whether you'd rather work out outside or indoors. That can help you determine which exercise fits you best.

Last edited by Nienna; 10-07-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Nienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:27 AM   #3  
improving life!

Height: 5'7"

Jogging for sure. But I have to warn you that going from seditary to making a habit of any exercise is not going to be easy. But I think jogging is great because you can always work at something. When I started jogging I wanted to run a 5k, then I wanted to increase my miles, then a half marathon, and now I'm doing some sprinting.

You definitely don't have to think about jogging while doing it, but it requires so little thought that you will have to have something to think about lol. probably while a lot of people use music or some type of audio.
pinkalarmclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:06 AM   #4  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

once you know proper form there's alot of body weight strength exercises you could do. very little thought involved.

holding the bridge pose(simply elevate your butt in the sit ups position)
squats
crunches
calf raises
high knees
alternating side lunges
to name a few. about.com has lots of info about types of moves. even a list of moves categorized by begginer,intermediate,advanced in a chart with pictures. great to help figure out how to modify or make an exercise more challenging.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:13 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

I'd say that the simplest would be walking, then move to jogging after you've gotten into better shape...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyePatch View Post
I'm looking for a simple exercise. Something I can do without thinking too much and will be easy to make into a habit.

I guess something like jogging or yoga. What else is there?
I agree with walking.

I also think you can just start adding to your daily life things like parking further away, taking the stairs (if you work in a tall building, take the elevator up to a different floor and walk the rest of the flights), walk the dog more often, ride bicycles with your kids, stuff like that.

If you become more active in your daily life, it becomes less of a "chore."
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:56 PM   #7  

Is walking as good as jogging?

I don't mind exercising outdoors, but I want to make it a daily habit in the morning. Maybe the body weight strength exercises, they look simple and something I could do at home.
EyePatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #8  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Yoga is something I only began trying this year, and I love it. It can be strengthening (power yoga) or relaxing (Hatha Yoga). And it's fantastic for improving overall health, circulation, digestion, flexibility.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:47 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyePatch View Post
Is walking as good as jogging?
Walking and jogging are both good... but you have to walk before jogging. Jogging is more intense that's for sure.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote